If it wasn't for my daughters, my hair would still be damaged

sj73

I have to admit. I didn't know how to grow my hair until I had daughters. I knew I didn't want them to go through the same childhood of damaged, dry hair like I did, so when their hair started growing (that didn't start happening until around age 3), I put down that jar of blue grease and decided to research ways for them to have healthy, natural hair. I started out looking on Cathy Howse's website (love the question and answers), then read Shamboosie's book (I was really looking for Howse's book, but my library didn't carry it :ohwell:).

I was more inspired by Howse, but wanted to find out more. I found a link to this site and the rest is history. I now only use natural hair products on their hair and it grew from near-bald to MBL in three years. They usually wear their hair in braids or two-strand twists. I've always kept their ends moisturized and made sure I focused on healthy hair practices whenever I'm styling their hair. I also learned how to shampoo hair (didn't know there was a technique).

I have to thank this site for saving my hair and my daughters hair. While taking an interest in my daughters' hair, I learned how to care for mine. My hair is not long (yet!), but it's healthier than I've ever seen it.

Thank you ladies!

sj73

Oh yeah, I forgot where I was...

Umm REGGIE please!

My daughters' reggie is so simple. I use Qhemet Biologics (Alma Cream, Burdock Root Butter and Karkady Tea). I sometimes use my own mixture of water, glycerin, aloe vera and wheat germ oil. I always spray their hair in sections as I braid or twist their hair. I always add extra moisturizer to their ends after I finish each braid/twist. I wash their hair every two weeks with Giovanni Smooth and Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and conditioner. I only press their hair twice a year (Easter and first day of school).

My current regimen is:
* Stretch 12 weeks between relaxers.
* Shampoo at least once a week (I aim for twice a week, but that hasn't been happening often).
* I deep condition each time I shampoo (alternating between moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner).
* I use a leave-in conditioner after every shampoo and use a moisturizer everyday (and seal my ends).
* I always air dry and only flat-iron on clean hair.
* I usually bun or wear my hair flat-iron the first six weeks of my stretch; I start braidouts the second six weeks of my stretch.
* I'm seriously thinking about bunning the entire winter and early spring.

sj73

Now you know you can't come in here saying all that with no pictures, girl!

Sorry, but I'm funny about posting pictures of my kids on the web. They are under 8 years old, so growth (inch-wise) is not as long as it is for adults to go from near bald to MBL. I also think when the growth kicked-in at age 3, just keeping those ends moisturized could make this possible for all kids. :yep:

Kiki0130

Sorry, but I'm funny about posting pictures of my kids on the web. They are under 8 years old, so growth (inch-wise) is not as long as it is for adults to go from near bald to MBL. I also think when the growth kicked-in at age 3, just keeping those ends moisturized could make this possible for all kids. :yep:

Awww, I was just teasing you :yep:

Your story was inspiring and has become my own as far as the health
of my son's hair. He has hair like mine and we are constantly tweaking
our regimen to find the simplest most moisturizing regimen.

And thanks for posting the regimen. You're doing really great and your girls
will grow up learning how important it is to take care of themselves in this
way.

GaiasDaughter24

I found this site looking up how to care for my daughters hair as well. Her hair type is completely different from mine and I wanted to make sure she looked her best. Over a year later and I've gone natural, my hair is FINALLY healthy and my DD's hair is FAB. lol

I wish more women would look up how to care for their DD's hair. With all the technology we have now, there really isn't an excuse anymore.

Yes, you are an awesome mom :)