I want to buy a good book for relaxed hair care

ThursdayGirl

Hi Everyone,

I want to buy a good book for relaxed hair care...and growing black hair for my little sister. I have Carolyn Gray's book... and enjoyed it although it was repetitive... are there other good books out there?

How do they compare to Carolyn's?

I have heard people talk about Cathy Howse's book...but didn't really like her website... so I'm not sure how her book is.

I've also seen people mention Shamboosie? How is his book?

Thanks in advance!

NayNay

Unfortunately I have read all 3 LOL! Carolyn Gray's book is okay for a beginner. If u are just learning about healthy hair then I say go for it, but u can get just as much useful information from this board. Shamboosie-if u relax your own hair or want color get it. I don't agree with all of his philsophies (ie no lye relaxers cause the majority of damage) but his book had some "different" hints (use of setting lotions, oils, etc.). Cathy Howse has some good points but I disagree with her too (LOL) she believes in "flattening the new growth with heat and no trims. I don't beleive trimming your hair makes it grow but getting rid of split ends can prevent breakage. I would say check them out from the library if possible (that is what I did except for Carolyn Gray) and go from there. GOOD LUCK!

henrilou

This is NOT what you asked for but, get her a Starbucks card and hook her up to this site. It is far more interesting, less repetitive and the info is more up-to-date.

I read this over and it sounded kinda sarcastic. I don't mean to /images/graemlins/laugh.gif, I just mean that this site would last longer than a book.