If someone asked you to do hair, would you?

gymfreak336

I went to a party last night at my boyfriends sisters place. I had a great time especially since I did my hair. I rolled it on purple rollers and combed it so that I had this feathery earth angel 70's thing going on. I recently dyed my hair darker too so it had alot of shine. I left the party before he did but when he came home he said one of the ladies asked him where I go to get my hair done. He told them that I do it myself so then she asked if he would ask me if I would be willing to do her daughters hair. Part of me wants to say yes because I could help someone else learn how to properly care for her hair and I would be getting some extra money on the side. But at the same time, I am nervous about doing someone elses hair. I mean, doing a whole bunch of styles isn't my forte. I can't do all of the updo's and twists and what not, especially without seeing it done in a tutorial video :look: I can hook you up on some rollers, flexi rods, and I am mean with a flat iron but that is about it :lol: I might call her back anyway and at least talk with her about it.

What would you do? Do you do other peoples hair already?

glamazon386

I would... I've done my mom's on occasion and a few gfs. I was itching to get in my roomates hair but she ended up locing it.

texasqt

I use to in college and every now and then a friend would want braids. As long as you find out what they want and its in your realm of ability, the money is worth your time and if you are comfortable with it I think it would be ok. If it involves washing her daughters hair, I would tell them what to do/what to use if I was going to their house so the only thing I'm responsibile for is styling. Hopefully, she wants a no-heat style. But try to teach them what they can do because when you're gone you don't want them messing up the girl's hair trying to do it on their own and that's bound to happen if they are already having problems. You may not want them calling you everyday, everytime something goes wrong. IDK.

How do you feel about doing hair professionally? and is that something you wouldn't mind doing on the side? If you do a good job, it may be a career direction you'd want to consider. Word is gonna get around that Gym is the new stylist on the block!!! :grin:

Me next!!! Do my hair!!! Me! Me! Me!

Nice & Wavy

I went to a party last night at my boyfriends sisters place. I had a great time especially since I did my hair. I rolled it on purple rollers and combed it so that I had this feathery earth angel 70's thing going on. I recently dyed my hair darker too so it had alot of shine. I left the party before he did but when he came home he said one of the ladies asked him where I go to get my hair done. He told them that I do it myself so then she asked if he would ask me if I would be willing to do her daughters hair. Part of me wants to say yes because I could help someone else learn how to properly care for her hair and I would be getting some extra money on the side. But at the same time, I am nervous about doing someone elses hair. I mean, doing a whole bunch of styles isn't my forte. I can't do all of the updo's and twists and what not, especially without seeing it done in a tutorial video :look: I can hook you up on some rollers, flexi rods, and I am mean with a flat iron but that is about it :lol: I might call her back anyway and at least talk with her about it.

Yes, I would do it. I was talking to dh about hair stuff, and he told me I should open up a natural hair salon...there isn't one in this area. He said that I would make lots of money with it. It isn't a bad idea.:yep:

gymfreak336

I use to in college and every now and then a friend would want braids. As long as you find out what they want and its in your realm of ability, the money is worth your time and if you are comfortable with it I think it would be ok. If it involves washing her daughters hair, I would tell them what to do/what to use if I was going to their house so the only thing I'm responsibile for is styling. Hopefully, she wants a no-heat style. But try to teach them what they can do because when you're gone you don't want them messing up the girl's hair trying to do it on their own and that's bound to happen if they are already having problems. You may not want them calling you everyday, everytime something goes wrong. IDK.

How do you feel about doing hair professionally? and is that something you wouldn't mind doing on the side? If you do a good job, it may be a career direction you'd want to consider. Word is gonna get around that Gym is the new stylist on the block!!! :grin:

Me next!!! Do my hair!!! Me! Me! Me!

From what my boyfriend tells me, her mother is natural 3aish but the little girl is a relaxed 4a. I have a feeling she doesn't know how to handle it. I would love to do hair professionally. Going to school would give me the style knowledge I need. I already got the care and science part down thanks to you guys. :grin:

gymfreak336

Yes, I would do it. I was talking to dh about hair stuff, and he told me I should open up a natural hair salon...there isn't one in this area. He said that I would make lots of money with it. It isn't a bad idea.:yep:

That is a great idea! Your pics of your transition are a testimony themselves.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
In college I did a few people's hair, my sorors and one stranger:look:, and now I do my sister's regularly and my mother's sometimes. I really wanted to grow out my MIL's foster daughter's hair but that didn't work out. Anyway, I have the mother of one of DD's classmates asking me to do a straw set and I am just not comfortable. She thought mine was cute but what if it doesn't come out right for her? For me I only feel comfortable doing people close to me. If I were thinking of making a career of it then I would go for all the practice I could get.

gymfreak336

In college I did a few people's hair, my sorors and one stranger:look:, and now I do my sister's regularly and my mother's sometimes. I really wanted to grow out my MIL's foster daughter's hair but that didn't work out. Anyway, I have the mother of one of DD's classmates asking me to do a straw set and I am just not comfortable. She thought mine was cute but what if it doesn't come out right for her? For me I only feel comfortable doing people close to me. If I were thinking of making a career of it then I would go for all the practice I could get.

That is what I was thinking too. :ohwell:

ayoung

Yep---if i could do what they were requesting.

So---any pics of ur 'feather style'? I would love to see:grin::grin:

gymfreak336

Yep---if i could do what they were requesting.

So---any pics of ur 'feather style'? I would love to see:grin::grin:

I don't have any pics but when I rollerset the next time I'll take pics. Its really easy, just rollerset as you usually would. Swoop your bang to the side and take a wide toothed comb and use it to flip the curls down and up.

Evazhair

I used to do my grandmothers' (cornrow) and it was a nice little side hustle for a teen. I do my mother's hair everytime I go home. I wish I could wash it weekly for her, because I have her hair swangin'. Last year I so wanted to get my hands on my 3 yo cousin Devyn's midback 4a/b natural head so bad, because her parents are clueless, but we didn't have time. Dry as the sahara and she was scratching her head like she had fleas:sad:. I gave her mom some suggestions, but I doubt she even tried. I would do a friend's head if they needed it.

bluevalentine

i probably would, my mom and younger sister have already recruited me to do their relaxers and rollersets. as long as it was something i was comfortable with doing i would do it so long as i had the time.

clever

I say do it.Even if your not able to style it,you could give her some great tips on hair care or point her in the right direction:yep:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Me and you are in the same boat!!! A bunch of dh's friends want me to do their hair like his, cause they've never seen anything like it (mini twists)

And a few chicks have asked him if I could do their hair too!

I'm nervous cause like you, I can't do all that fancy-shmancy stuff. And I'm not THAT great at twisting, so I'd feel bad charging them. But at the same time, I'm using up my time and products. And I'd love to teach them healthy hair practices while doing their hair.....

I think you should give her a call. I'm sure she'd be more than happy to recieve all of that hair information packed in your brain :lol:

MzOptimistic

Yea, I would do styles that I know how to do. :lachen: Which are not much. I can't flatiron to save my life:look: A rollerset( on caruso's) braid outs, and some updo's. That's it for me but if you're comfy go head make that chedda.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Yep I would do it. I mean I already do this now, but in the beginning when I first started doing my own hair(junior high), it started out the same way as yours did. Someone seen it and wanted the style, and I was a bit hesitant because I didn't normally do other people's hair too you know. But then after doing a couple of my classmates, word got out about me being the one doing their hair in such and such styles. At the time it was all about nothing but cornrows, box braids/individuals and crotchet braids. So then it started drumming up a lil business for me, and I've been doing it ever since. My main specialty is braiding, but I do other services upon request within reason.

IMO it's a great way to make a lil money on the side. But you have been here on the board far longer than I have and you're armed with lots of knowledge, and you also have some great advice when it comes to haircare. So I would think it'd be a great start for you should you decide to take this path.

Good luck on that and I'd love to see the new do you're sporting too!:grin:

Desarae

I do other people's hair. I used to do all that gelled up weave, bacon strips and updo's and crap, but now I just don't feel comfortable doing anyone's hair like that knowing the damage that it does, so if someone asks me to do thier hair, I let them know off top that I only do certain things and I won't do anything to damage thier hair and if they want a glue in weave or bacon strips, they can go elsewhere, but if they want to start to take care of thier hair and want a rollerset, flatiron, or rollerwrap, or natural styles, I'm game.

Most of them never call back.

doublejo

I always say yes. I tell folks I can get your hair healthy, but you may have to style it yourself. The only styles I can do are the ones that look cute on me.

lilsparkle825

COOL I WANNA SEE IT! YOU GOT PICS?! yelling was intentional. lol

i do my mom's and my sister's. my cousin spent 200 bucks on kinky twists then saw my sister's and asked me to do her next set but besides the fact that i dont feel confident (customers are overly picky whereas my sis is not) i only do it when i FEEL like it, so even money probably wouldnt be able to motivate me.

Umm yea... Im the round the way cornrow chick to all the guys in the neighborhood and to quite a few little girls as well. Lately since my hair is now the longest on the whole family, everyone wants advice. Which I give freely and I also will do their hair once or twice to show them my techniques. I still do my mom, gramma and sisters hair for special occasions.

Mandy4610

Funny, because I have been contemplating this idea. I am in need of extra cash (to support my hair habits:lachen:), no seriously, I need some extra money for more important stuff. DH thinks I am good at hair stuff. I keep saying I am not that great at doing all these fancy styles, but he thinks I should do what I can and then just give hair advise, like consulting:blush:. I am good at rollersetting, I am ok with flat ironing and I am armed with info from this site, thats all I have, oh and I have a passion for healthy hair:yep::yep:.
I am not interested in going to school for this though, but I love to do hair.
When I was a kid, my mom had a salon back in Africa, so I picked up a thing or two.
Should I go for it.
Sorry Gym, don't mean to hijack your thread.

MizAvalon

I could probably do something very simple like a flatiron job but I wouldn't do anything else. Too scared of messing their head up!:lachen: