Would you...

KinksnCurlz

... get ur 4 year old child's hair pressed? This is the story, i went to jcpenney the other day to purchase some stuff and went to the salon. I asked for the prices and saw that they do children's hair. The stylist told me they would wash, deep condition, blow dry, press and curl her hair. I was really surprised b/c i didn't think they would want to run the risk of burning the child (esp. a 4 yr old).
My question 2 u is this, would u let someone press ur child's hair??? i mean, isn't that damaging??? I would think flat ironing it would be better...

Let me know what you guys think?

TIA

It depends on the child's hair. I think a super light press is fine for special occassions, like Easter, X-mas, Picture Day, etc.

I work with 4 year olds and some of them could stand for a warm comb to be ran through their hair or a flat iron.
look.gif
I think I would prefer a flat iron on my child, if it had to be done.

My G'ma started pressing my hair at the age of 5 (when I stayed with her), but my mom didn't press it until the age of 7. My mom would lightly press it and then put it in pony tails. She only followed with the curlers about once a year. She pressed it to make it easier to comb and to cut down on my "hooping and hollering".
laugh.gif
I'm so tender headed.
smile.gif

Hmmmm.... I don't see anything wrong with it as long as you don't have it done too often. If it is done right she shouldn't suffer any damage.

I used to press my daughter's hair on special occasions when she was that age and as long as your daughter is not tenderheaded and doesn't flinch a lot she shouldn't suffer any burns.

The only diffence about flatironing is the iron can't get any hotter that the hottest temp on the iron. Sometimes flatirons don't yield the same results as a pressing comb if the hair is natural.

[ QUOTE ]
I work with 4 year olds and some of them could stand for a warm comb to be ran through their hair or a flat iron.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know y but this was sooo funny 2 me
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My daughter is use to sitting still (my gf does intricate hair braiding styles) so that wouldn't be a problem. Her hair is UBERthick and it's about shoulder length. The thing is, i remember when i was a kid getting my hair hotcombed (pressed) and i would hate that sound (u know, like the crackling of fire
laugh.gif
). I always thought it was bad for the hair. I've seen a child get her hair pressed b4 (about 7-8) and all i was thinking was... NEVER!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

@ DSD - so if i got a really really good flatiron (say chi, fhi or hai) with ceramic plates, u don't think it will straighten her hair?

CH, it will but IMO and experience the pressing comb yields better and longer results. I have a niece that has curly 3b hair and everytime I use my expensive flatiron on her hair it reverts faster than when I use a pressing comb. The same with my daughter's hair. I just can't explain it!! My iron goes up to 400 degress and it gets it straight but the comb does it better!!

hey girl, the first time i pressed deja's hair, she was 4. it was for a her first day at pre-school. i pressed it and did twist in the front with shirley temple curls in the back. it lasts about 2 weeks if we do the scarf thing every night. i make sure i give her a good treatment and moisturizing conditioner before blow drying and pressing. i put some salerm 21 on her hair before blowdrying. if you get a good comb and you just use a little curling wax (i like dudleys) on each section, you won't get that super sizzle like you would with the grease. btw, cora did her press and curl twice (she is the black stylist at Cieta) and i loved it. deja's hair looked like she had a relaxer. deja is very comfortable with cora so it's a good experience. maybe one day your in there getting your hair done, if you have the baby with you, talk to her about it. cora has quite a few small clients. i wouldn't let her do my hair in a style because i think she is a little old school. i like the old school stylists for a press and curl though.

I was 3 the first time I got my hair pressed. I got my hair pressed every two weeks until I was 7 or 8 (then came the chemicals).

I think it would be okay if you got it pressed occasionally.

Nah. I can't get with the pressing of hair that young. My mom used to press mine so much till she didn't even ralize the true texture of my hair. I feel that if she had not pressed it, the I would have had a lot more length through life.

I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd be scared of messing up with the hot comb and burning the child. I'd just use a ceramic flat iron. I see how they work with my hair, and I think they work pretty well so I don't think I'll ever be picking up a hot comb for mine or anyone else's hair.

Well Caramel, my mom would blowdry my hair at that age. I would sweat it up in a matter of moments at that age.

If the child can sit still then maybe. If they are fidgety then it probably wouldnt be a good idea. I would only get a press on special occasions and that was usually a warm iron and bytheend of the day the style was shot

No, I think 4 is too young, those pressing combs are hot. Four year olds move around too much, they could get burned and then I would feel horrible. Maybe 8 years and above.

I have a four year old and all i do is deep conditon, wash with a mild shampoo and braid her hair for the week. I would not attempt to use such heat on her delicate hair. If you do, you will run the risk of her hair falling out, thinning out and/or damaging it. Just let your little girl be a little girl for awhile
wink.gif
. Believe me there will be due time when you can do this when she gets older.

Thanks guys for your responses. I was very hesitant about pressing her hair... VERY. i think if anything, i will flatiron it
smile.gif
... MYSELF. Although i would LOVE to see her with the twists in the front and st curls in the back ... i guess i can wait on that
laugh.gif

I pressed my daughter's hair when she was 3. I used a ceramic stove and curling iron. It was her first time and, it turned out beautifully. You have to be quick though. Three and four year olds don't like to sit still.

do any of u think pressing the hair is bad? which of the 2 would b better (not results wise but health wise) Pressing or Flat Ironing?

4 year old are kinda jittery and dont like sitting in a salon chair (what ive noticed). i would personally be too scared of her being burned my the comb b/c she accidentally moved or something

Back