If you could go back in time, would you still relax your hair

vestaluv1

I guess this is more for transitioners, but I was just thinking... If I knew then what I know now, I would have never started relaxing my hair.
I so want my texture back. NOW.
WHAT ABOUT YOU GUYS.

blasiancurlie

i completely agree! i'm about 4 months into my transition and lately i've been thinking WHY DID I RELAX MY HAIR IN THE FIRST PLACE??? well i technically know why...my mom just didn't know what to do with it when i was younger so she let someone relax it and i just got into the habit. but i wish my mom (who's asian) would've realized that my curly hair wasn't that bad. it's not her fault though and i don't blame her at all...she had me rockin a fro till the third grade and now that i look back that was kinda hot! LOL. anyways, i'm so impatient with my transitioning...i want to be all natural NOW so more and more i regret relaxing my hair.

Prettyeyes

no way, I dream about being natural so much. It's sad that I don't have what is naturally mine, when I want it. I just love length and can't BC. So frustrating.

KrimsonKween

Nope I would not relax. I am currently natural and I can not tell u how liberating it is not to have to sit in the darn salon all day every week and having to sleep with a crook n yo neck n yo back aching trying to keep that do for antoher couple of days, n then u can't get yo freak on cause he better not mess up yo head trying to freak that thang. Chilin FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST THANK GOD ALMIGHT I'M FREE AT LAST.......THANK U GOD, THANK U JESUS YES LORD THANK YA......(ME DOING A BROWN MOVE):lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Plus I could have Leela James's fro by now..:grin:

motherx2esq

In a heartbeat! I would relax my hair if I went back in time. If I go longer than 10 weeks (which I do out of laziness) I want to cut my hair off. I just like it straight. My personal preference.

Cheleigh

I'm natural now, but was relaxed for over 20 years. I probably still would have relaxed if I was going to wear it straight all the time (which is why I did it), BUT I wish I would have known that I could wear my natural texture as is and still be fly. :fairy:

THEN I would have never relaxed.

LunadeMiel

Nope, I would have never relaxed my hair.....When I think about it now, I really don't know what came over me...:nono:

Puddles

On Cloud 9
:yep:Yep.......I prefer wearing my hair straight. I sweat a lot and running a hot comb through my hair everyday is a no no :nono:

JustKiya

*sigh* *glares at her 18 y/o self* Hells nawh, I wouldn't have relaxed my hair. Shoot, I was on that STUFF, man! I'm just trying to get back to where I was before I screwed up and permed it all...

homegirljiggy

NOPE!!!! having a relaxer has its ups and real DOWNS, but my hair natural was healthier and didnt break of, and I washed it with suave strawberry and conditioner, slapped some grease on it and pressed it. I had midback length hair, then I thought to be GROWN I had to relax it before going to college. I mean it has made life easier, but I will go back natural eventually:ohwell:

blazingthru

Good question, its a hard one for me. I hated the natural look, thought it was ugly and not attractive. I would have kept on thinking that way, if it hadn't been for people explaining how to take care of your hair and that its not painful and difficult ( I beg to differ on wash days) as I thought it would be. Plus how wonderful it feels and how easy it is to maintain and I fell in love with those words and I decided I would do it. If it wasn't for this site I would have never ever done it. But products available today was not available then and so no I don't think I would go natural I would still put a relaxer in only take care of it better then I did. I don't use much products on my hair at all just a leave in really. but there are days I want a slick back look I grab my IC gel - what would I have used back then? I am sure there was something but what? who could I have talked to about it? Its not an easy question for me to answer but interesting. Plus we always ask each other what we think about this product or that and how it affected them before we buy it. I tell you I would have never ever went natural had it not been for LHCF.

Cichelle

No. Not knowing what I know now. No way. Actually, if I knew just half of what I know now I probably wouldn't have relaxed my hair. For instance, if someone had instructed me to stop brushing my hair dry, a lot of problems would have been prevented. Little things like that go a long way. :ohwell:

Aggie

In a heart beat! I looove my hair straight. I especially like the fact that I now know how to relax my own hair, now I get the best of both worlds - I can have someone alse do it for me or I can do it myself. I am seriously thinking of changing careers from a Sales Executive to a Cosmetologist. I already know how to do nails and all I have to do now is add the hair part. I get more and more excited whenever I think about it. I'll be further checking into it this week. So again my answer is....A RESOUNDING YES!!!

GoingNatural

Yes, because I really believe that going relaxed is the only way I could have figured out what my natural hair could be. When I was natural before I would get out of the shower and immediately blowdry--i thought that big dry bushy mess was my hair. Being relaxed and wanted to transition changed my life!

SouthernTease

If I know what I know now I would have never relaxed.
If they had CHI flat irons back then I wouldn't have needed
to relax to get my hair straight.
If I have a daughter/daughters... they won't be getting relaxers.

MrsWatson

If I could relax and have the knowledge I have now from the beginning...knowing how to keep relaxed hair healthy and thriving, yes.:yep: Under the same circumstances as before, heck no!:nono:

loulou82

I wish I found the hair boards in 2006. That's when I became frustrated with my hair and opted for a relaxed pixie cut. I would have transitioned instead if I knew about the concept.

LoveLiLi

If I could go back in time I would never have relaxed my hair. It's gotten pretty long while relaxed - I made bra strap easily enough - but it was never as long and luxurious as it was when it was natural.

I can't believe I took my hair for granted when it was that long and healthy. Oh well, I'll be able to appreciate my hair more once I hit my goal length.

drasgrl

No I wouldn't. I used to press every week so my hair was still straight. I'm thinking of doing that again when I transition. I don't know what's worse heat once a week or a relaxer every three months.

MichelleMyBelle

I wouldnt change a thing. I'm glad I relaxed my hair in the past. It has helped me appreciate my natural hair that much more.

ShaniKeys

I wouldnt change a thing. I'm glad I relaxed my hair in the past. It has helped me appreciate my natural hair that much more.

I feel the same way, I learn something new about taking care of natural hair every day, it is fun:grin:. My relaxed days are now in the past, and I try to remember the days my hair looked good...not just the breaking hair days :ohwell:

LadyKaypnyc

Nope I would not relax. I am currently natural and I can not tell u how liberating it is not to have to sit in the darn salon all day every week and having to sleep with a crook n yo neck n yo back aching trying to keep that do for antoher couple of days, n then u can't get yo freak on cause he better not mess up yo head trying to freak that thang. Chilin FREE AT LAST FREE AT LAST THANK GOD ALMIGHT I'M FREE AT LAST.......THANK U GOD, THANK U JESUS YES LORD THANK YA......(ME DOING A BROWN MOVE):lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Plus I could have Leela James's fro by now..:grin:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Seriously Cosigning!