If you've ever worn a weave, I need your help please!

ackee walk

I am getting my first install soon. I'm getting a full head sew-in. I bought 4 ounces of 12" relaxed textured hair from Extensions Plus at the recommendation of a friend who has had a weave before. Problem is, I just spoke to the stylist and she insisted I get 8 - 10 oz. I just cannot afford 8 - 10 oz of EP hair! So, I am wondering if I need to either go to someone else or if I need to buy different hair.

How many ounces of hair do you normally buy for a full head weave?

Does it make a difference that I am buying Extensions Plus relaxed textured hair (12")?

If I should get more hair, what hair would you suggest that would blend well with my hair (4b texlaxed) and the EP relaxed textured hair but not break the bank?

Finally, on the whim that a fellow NY'er is reading this, have you ever been to Queen of the Wink? Does Queen have some special style that requires more EP RT hair than normal?

TIA, ladies

200AndOne

i'm assuming 4oz = 1 pack?? in my experience, you'll definitely want to have 2 packs of hair on hand. hth

ackee walk

Thanks. Only thing is EP doesn't sell pack hair and it sells its relaxed textured hair by the 2 oz. Every 2 oz. is $122 or so. I can't do 4 orders of that for a total of 8 oz. b/c that would cost me over $500 after the cost of shipping. Can't afford that.

I've been trying to do some searches but I am getting a wide range of answers to this question. Can more folks chime in? I am hoping I don't have to buy any more hair, much less EP hair...

i'm assuming 4oz = 1 pack?? in my experience, you'll definitely want to have 2 packs of hair on hand. hth

myeam

You def need to bring at least 7-8 oz for a full head weave with none of your real hair out, but Some hairdressers can make 1 pack (4-5oz) do, it all depends. I wouldn't suggest mixing ep hair with cheaper hair...it will most likely cause it to tangle, and you don't want to deal with that. I've never been to Queen of the Wink but i have heard really good things about her...I just don't really want to travel to Queens, plus she's a lil too expensive for me right now....I'm about to get a weave myself and I have two spots to choose between. Ackee walk, if you want any options other than Queen, pm me for details.

myeam

Oh...and sensationnel remy straight hair is pretty good too...you can get 2 packs of that for about $160

deniseloc

I would buy 1 pk of black diamond natural perm and use it on the bottom and use the ep on the top you can order it from hairsisters.com

ackee walk

Thanks, myeam. I plan on leaving a little out but not much. Bout to pm you.

You def need to bring at least 7-8 oz for a full head weave with none of your real hair out, but Some hairdressers can make 1 pack (4-5oz) do, it all depends. I wouldn't suggest mixing ep hair with cheaper hair...it will most likely cause it to tangle, and you don't want to deal with that. I've never been to Queen of the Wink but i have heard really good things about her...I just don't really want to travel to Queens, plus she's a lil too expensive for me right now....I'm about to get a weave myself and I have two spots to choose between. Ackee walk, if you want any options other than Queen, pm me for details.

BlackGeisha

Thanks for responding. Do you know if there is a difference between hair that is bought by the pack and hair that is sold by the ounce, like EP hair?

no I'm sorry I have never heard of hair by the ounce and I'm not familiar with the EP brand. I usually buy Bijoux Beauty Elements and it comes by the pack. sorry :perplexed

Rain20

Usually you need 6-8 ounces for a full sew in. But it also depends on your head size. Bohyme is a good non tangling brand and some people like Goddess Remy. Both wash relatively well. One thing about EP, you are supposed to be able to use for several installs. So do not cut it too much. HTH.

GabbanaGirl

Extensions Plus is one of my favorite places to buy hair, normally though, I buy 2 packs but only wind up using 1 1/2 packs. I have noticed that they have less hair on the wefts than some of the cheaper hair I have bought in the past.

However, on those days that I couldn't afford more than one pack, I have definitely gotten away with wearing just one, it is not as thick as I would like, but definitely wearable without looking crazy:yep:. When I use one pack, I skimp on the nape area....then use the majority on the lower middle, and top portion of my head....

Here is a picture of me with just one pack:

Hope this helps :)

ackee walk

Ok, thank you, Rain20

I am wondering how my friends have done full head sew ins with only 4 oz. of EP RT hair. Dang. Welp, if it turns out I get my hair done with what I have, I will have to post pics to my fotki so folks can see it can be done.

Usually you need 6-8 ounces for a full sew in. But it also depends on your head size. Bohyme is a good non tangling brand and some people like Goddess Remy. Both wash relatively well. One thing about EP, you are supposed to be able to use for several installs. So do not cut it too much. HTH.

ackee walk

Hey Gabbana, your hair looks good!

Each order of EP hair is 2 oz. So by two packs do you mean 4 oz? Because that is exactly how much I bought and this would make my night.

Extensions Plus is one of my favorite places to buy hair, normally though, I buy 2 packs but only wind up using 1 1/2 packs. I have noticed that they have less hair on the wefts than some of the cheaper hair I have bought in the past.

However, on those days that I couldn't afford more than one pack, I have definitely gotten away with wearing just one, it is not as thick as I would like, but definitely wearable without looking crazy:yep:. When I use one pack, I skimp on the nape area....then use the majority on the lower middle, and top portion of my head....

Here is a picture of me with just one pack:

Hope this helps :)

GabbanaGirl

Thank you :)

Yes, by two packs I mean (4oz) - Then I get to skimping sometimes, and use just one. I lay the hair out, save the thickest pieces for the middle and top portion, and use the thinner pieces for some coverage in the nape area. I hope this helps.

naturalmanenyc

I have gotten full weaves (perimeter out) with 6 oz of hair on thin wefts from adorable. Never been to Queen of the Wink but heard good good things.

I've never seen a full head weave done with 4 oz

naturalmanenyc

Oh, forgot to mention that EP hair supposedly requires less than 8 oz for a full head weave. If you put in 8 oz of EP hair, it may be too full and not realistic.

vkb247

1 pack of hair equals 4 oz. of hair. Some ladies are able to get a full head weave with this amount but most use 8 oz. for a full head install.

It also depends on the hair. Like you can usually use less curly hair because it is fuller.

If Gabbanagirl was able to get a full install with 4oz of the EP hair she bought then you should be fine because her hair is longer than 12 inches. The shorter the hair the less hair you need since it is done by weight. You will have more inches of weft than she had.

GabbanaGirl

1 pack of hair equals 4 oz. of hair. Some ladies are able to get a full head weave with this amount but most use 8 oz. for a full head install.

It also depends on the hair. Like you can usually use less curly hair because it is fuller.

If Gabbanagirl was able to get a full install with 4oz of the EP hair she bought then you should be fine because her hair is longer than 12 inches. The shorter the hair the less hair you need since it is done by weight. You will have more inches of weft than she had.

She is completely right on the money...

ajacks

I have a full-head weave currently (not a single strand of my hair is out). I am using 4oz Halley's Curl with a large closure. When I opt not to use the closure and leave some of my hair out it requires 6 oz.

yuriko

I usually do a weave with about 6 ounces. If you do a weave with 4 ounces, seal the wefts so that it does not shed and get too thin. When i did a weave with 4 ounces, I wore it wavy or curly (easily achieved with pin curls or a curling iron) so that it did not look too thin. But its doable, just so you know

calmsensual1

hisandher is great quality hair. ive used it for about 7 years. It doesnt tangle nor shed.

It costs about 65-70$ for one pack.

The kind I get is the natural perm straight 50% italian mink for weaving. In fact, I think theyre still having a sale right now. Dont quote me on that though.

ackee walk

Thanks, ladies. You all have been a big help. :yep:

Based on all the info, I'm going to stick with the 4 oz. of EP RT hair that I bought, not buy anymore and pray my hair comes out nicely!

Thanks for all the advice :)

Last edited:

*KP*

Does it have to be EP? Since it is your first install and you don't know if you'll like it or not, why not go for a slightly cheaper but good quality brand like Goddess Remy or Bohyme? EP hair can last for several installs, if you decide you don't like sew-ins, it'd have been good money wasted.