I'm a newbie!!

toinette

Tricking the president
I\'m a newbie!!

Hi everyone,
I have been lurking around this board for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to register. I am seriously addicted to this board; you guys always have great tips. A little about me and my hair woes: I got my first relaxer when I was around 8 because my mom couldn't deal with my hair; it was super thick. Needless to say, when my dad came home he was not having it, so they just let it grow out. By the time I got to the end of my junior year in high school, my hair was in excellent condition: moisturized, healthy, and thick as beyonce's thighs. I decided to relax my hair again until my senior year of high school, and i still don't regret that decision. I got my hair done every two weeks at the hairdresser. During that time my hair was soooooo nice, healthy, and silky. I also noticed that my hair actually grows really fast (something that i didn't notice when my hair was natural). I cut my hair a lil longer than chin-length right after thanksgiving and by the middle of february, it was 2 inches past shoulder-length. Anyways, I started my freshman year of college with almost bra-strap lenght hair. But seeing as how I go to school in upstate new york, i now had to take care of my relaxed hair for myself for the first time. I do not EVEN have to tell y'all how this went. if i thought my hair was damged before, it was nothing. My hair got even worse my sophomore year because i started dying it. In the last 15 months alone I have to have used permanent dye on my hair 6 or 7 times, and thrown in a couple of semi-permanent rinses as well. My hair is super damaged and dry. It sheds like crazy. I had braids in a few months ago that I think contributed to this as well. I can't rollerset for my life and I 'm soooo annoyed. My hair is now shoulder length. I'm not worried about the length because my hair actually grows really fast. But i just want it to be healthy and thick like it used to. Hopefully, I can learn from you all and achieve my goal. BTW my hair is mostly 4a with some 3c, but its sooo damaged now that it just feels wiry as hell.That's all folks. sorry its sooo long.

DahomeyAmazon

Re: I\'m a newbie!!

Hi Toinette,

Welcome to the board. I am sure you will get some great information here.
My advice is to read as much of the archives as you can, there's a lot of helpful older threads. Good luck.

Puddles

On Cloud 9

Welcome to the group Toinette glad you decided to join. Moisture,moisture,moisture. Protective styles and leave it alone. Keep reading and asking questions...I'm sure everything will work out.

G

Hey T,
You will find lots of great information around here regarding moisture. Since your hair is long enough for a bun, try the bun challenge without heat for a while. Lots of moisture will be fanstasic for your hair. Lots of people swear by conditioner washes... I don't they are too drying for my hair. However, I do use heavy grease on my hair not scalp like Queen Bergamont... it works wonders for thick 4A HAIR. It's not heavy on the hair at all. Try Pantene for relaxed hair shampoo and Motions CPR Moisturising Conditioner. Do this weekly. Find somewhere to do a roller set. White shops can do this too. You will have healthy hair soon enough. I would lay off the permanent dye until your hair is better.

Also you may need a trim.

Cowgirl

Welcome Toinette,

Join the club, we are all here to help & support each other. During the last two months I have learned more than I ever thought possible about hair care.

MrsQueeny

Welcome, you had me laughing with the thick as Beyonce's thighs comment!!!
Queneesha

VelvetRain

Welcome to the board! There is a lot of helful info here. The best thing you can do now is read read and read some more.

asha

Welcome to the board!!! In my books moisture is key, keep reading for great tips on how to get your hair in tip top shape.

Leslie_C

welcome! dont worry, with time and patience your hair will be healthy again, and u already know its growth potential so there u go!:)

the few girls I knew in school with pretty hair went to the salon every week or two so they didnt know how to care for it themselves besides wrapping it bt visits. The same thing happened when they went to college and couldnt spend the time or money to be in the salon every week. happens all the time!

with all of the educated ladies around here, u will know how to care for your hair in no time! Laying off the heat and finding a good moisturizer, along with lots of deep conditioning will work wonders.