I'm An Official Self-Relaxer! YAY!! (long)

onepraying

Healthy Hair Quest..
:yep: Yep! That's right! It CAN be done.

I touched-up a quarter inch of newgrowth and corrected 2 inches of underprocessed hair using Motions Oil Moisturizer Lye Relaxer.

I attempted to touch-up back in Dec. and ended with very soft, texturized new growth. I hit the board with screams of unfairness, and indignation. :( I was calmed by hair sistahs and given tips, encouragement and warnings of not to touch-up too soon.

After picking the brilliant brains of the LHCF hair divas I came up with a plan.

Monday night, determined to touch-up even if it took all night ----I went to work.

I based with Ampro Sensitive Scalp Creme, applied some EVOO to the length... sectioned in four quarters and clipped. My intent was to relax the front half first. Rinse. Apply Conditioner. Rinse. Then do the same to the back. Then Neutralize.

Well, as I began applying, first with the end of the rattail comb, then with my fingers, it wasn't working out well for me. It was hard to part with the tail and apply with the comb part. All that flipping back and forth was causing too much confusion....Loose hairs started getting in the way and then I began to panic inside. :eek: I calmed. Panic gets you nowhere. So I kept moving.

I needed an instrument that was small enough to target the newgrowth area only. The comb, wasn't working, and my fingers weren't protected. Then I spotted it....a tooth brush we use to apply gel and pomade to smaller areas like the nape and hairline. :yay: It was perfect! It was small enough to hit the newgrowth and the bristles were hard enough to smooth with at the same time.

I applied and smoothed one quarter for 20 mins. Rinsed in the sink with my new shampoo hose attachment. I was able to get all the relaxer out! I quickly applied Conditioner [in case all of the relaxer wasn't out] to stop the process. Then Clipped. Then I moved on to the next front quarter and did the same. When rinsing I did get a little of the back section wet. A very small section. I also left a little relaxer on. I held my finger where that section ended using as a guide not to go past that line and was able to get the rest of the relaxer out. WHEW!! I just prayed the part that got wet didn't burn so bad.

The back was tricky because I didn't want to relax an inch of my nape, the very bottom half that has transitioned. I applied loads of vaseline to that part to protect it from the chemical.

I was able to apply relaxer to both these 2 sections at one time. So I really relaxed in 3 sections. God gave me a good sense of direction so I was able to use my finger as a guide. I was feeling for the newgrowth and holding my hand over the relaxed ends protecting them from the chemical. I know, it sounds like a lot but it worked out. I also had my boys holding a mirror up for me. Since, I was doing one section at a time with 20 mins to spare, I was able to stop check out my work and keep going.

When I get my camera, I'll have my boys take pics the next time I touch-up.

It took about 1.5 hours from start to finish(final neutralizing). I jumped in the shower and washed with the poo about 3 or 4x to make sure all the relaxer was out. I then proceeded to poo and cond. with my NTM.

I was able to give each section the appropriate time and attention needed to process.

Thanks :wave: to all the ladies who responded to my thread about self-relaxing ALL of your advice came in handy..... :woot: :weird: :woot:
Hope this helps someone!

HHG-

~op~

Ok Girl,

First please bump the self relaxing thread for me, secondly, a toothbush huh I never thought of that. I may have to try that the next time I relax which will be in about two weeks. I am going to try Affrim lye and see how that works out for me.

Okay, I'll bump in a minute. Yeah, a toothbrush allowed me to really target the newgrowth area as well as smooth at the same time.

I am so happy for you! maybe I will try your method. Your post really makes me want to try again!!!

:) Congratulations!!!

Toothbrush, huh...very interesting...might try that one next time. Thanks for the idea!

Thanks ladies! I'm so excited and grateful!

Yes, Anky, you can do it!! My problem was having to race to get the whole head finished in 20 mins..This was an impossibility for me...My application takes a little longer, but this way I can assure that each section is completely smoothed and processed.

HHG-

~op~

OnePraying,

This is awesome news!!!!! I love your technique- especially the toothbrush method! That's one I'll definitely try. Makes sense, because it's the perfect width to attack the new growth.

I'm so proud of you :clap:

SG

Back