Applying relaxer using bare hands

godzooki

I really think it's time for me to be in control of my own touch ups, especially concidering I will be moving soon and not have a stylist. Doing my own touch ups has always been something I've wanted to try so I'm gearing up for it, if not with the next one due, then the following. My issue is I've tried practicing with conditioner and got so frustrated trying to feel my newgrowth with gloves and a comb application that I gave up and just used my bare hands. This was much easier. I was able to quickly move thru all my hair and better feel for my scalp and the new growth demarciation line. I'm seriously thinking that when I do handle my own touch up that I will be using my bare hands to apply it. Do you guys think this will be ok? Does anyone here use their bare hands to apply and smooth?
Also, my hairdresser is reluctant to tell me what kind of relaxer she's using on me. I'm worried about the lye, no-lye thing. Is there a safe brand or choice you guys recommend when you really just don't know?

skoloco

I'm interested in this too. I'm gearing up to self-relax for the first time in about a month and have wondered about the application with gloves. My hands are small and it is hard to find gloves that fit my hands tight enough to allow for feeling the new growth.

MizAvalon

I went to a hairdresser for many years who relaxed all of her clients heads with no gloves-EVER.

I even did it a few times myself when I used to self-relax.

I wouldn't do it now because I'm a freak about being healthy(organic food, exercise, etc.) but I don't think I've ever heard any horror stories about it.

crlsweetie912

I have done it for the 15+ years that I have been self relaxing. I wouldn't recommend it. But I haven't had any problems from it. Especially now that I am stretching and I am only doing it 4 times a year instead of every 6 weeks.

I would suggest doing it in front of a mirror so that you can see the ng, the back will be tricky, but if you are stretching, there will be less room for error!

eyunka

I have been self-relaxing for about 12 years now and didn't and don't have any real problems meaning if you don't mind you nails turning a tint yellowish for about a day then you are good.

Jadacrys

This is the way I used to do my relaxers. It made my nails yellowish. They became brittle. My fingertips sometimes were sensitive for a few days. I suggest some gloves.

LondonDiva

I never do bare hands. I bought a box of latex gloves (qty100) and use those. Remember it's still a chemical and can seep into your bloodstream I personally wouldn't recommend it.

Radianthealth

I find it easier to use my bare hands. I use my bare hands and a wooden tongue depressor. I try to limit the amount of relaxer that actually gets onto my hand and I cleanse my hands thoroughly as soon as I am done applying the relaxer. I haven't had any adverse effects so far.:look:

smitmarv

I always use gloves. You can buy a box them at the drugstore in many different sizes. It just limits the amount of contact with the chemicals and if you don't know how you will react to the chemicals you could get what is called Cantact Dermatitis. Your skin on your hand and feet are different from the rest of your body and they just soak things in like a sponge. Think about when you take a bath, it is your hands and feet that turn pruny because they soak in more water then the rest of your skin. Just something to think about. If you get the right size glove then you can feel the relaxer just fine.

Nenah

I have done this and yes your nails do turn a yellowish hue but I have not had any other adverse effects.

Isis

Gloves absolutely do not work for me. I must be able to feel my new growth, especially when I'm working in the back of my head. I pamper my fingers afterwards (and it's only like two fingertips from each hand). I've been dong this successfully for several years.

aprilbiz

I've used bare hands, but after a while I hated the way it made my fingers and nails feel, so I've now gotten used to using gloves.

luvlonghair

godzooki said:
I really think it's time for me to be in control of my own touch ups, especially concidering I will be moving soon and not have a stylist. Doing my own touch ups has always been something I've wanted to try so I'm gearing up for it, if not with the next one due, then the following. My issue is I've tried practicing with conditioner and got so frustrated trying to feel my newgrowth with gloves and a comb application that I gave up and just used my bare hands. This was much easier. I was able to quickly move thru all my hair and better feel for my scalp and the new growth demarciation line. I'm seriously thinking that when I do handle my own touch up that I will be using my bare hands to apply it. Do you guys think this will be ok? Does anyone here use their bare hands to apply and smooth?
Also, my hairdresser is reluctant to tell me what kind of relaxer she's using on me. I'm worried about the lye, no-lye thing. Is there a safe brand or choice you guys recommend when you really just don't know?

I wouldn't recommend this:naughty: :naughty: :whip: :whip: , if nothing happens now, it will down the line. If you're really having problems with seeing or feeling you new growth, spray (mist) your roots with water, wait about 10 minutes then blow-dry on cool to close your cuticle then apply the relaxer. Always use gloves:grin:

czyfaith77

godzooki said:

You could go to a medical supply store and find gloves that properly fit. They have them in boxes. I have been doing my hair without gloves for years and it doesn't bother be. The only reason I do it as much now because it does dry out your nails and cause for them to be fragile if you are not careful.

czyfaith77

Isis said:
Gloves absolutely do not work for me. I must be able to feel my new growth, especially when I'm working in the back of my head. I pamper my fingers afterwards (and it's only like two fingertips from each hand). I've been dong this successfully for several years.
I second this.

Either get the medical gloves or pay special attention to your nails.

jaded_faerie

i would not do this. :( my nails are still a tint yellow from doing this on my last relaxer....never again,...one nail is slightly yellow brown...but they are growing out....

Namilani

I use gloves when I have cuts/hangnails or don't want to risk messing up my nails. Usually nothing really happens, though. Even with surgical gloves on (perks of hospital employment, lol) I can't feel my new growth like I want. It's also harder not to overprocess other areas. I'm not gonna condone it, but I'm surely not gonna diss my method!!:lol:

tnorenberg

I've done my own relaxers with bare hands for years. I always coat them with vaseline or a protective petroleum based product first. Just like you base your edges with a protective product. I've never had ANY problems, not even fingernails turning colors or anything.

missnappylady

Wow! I was just talking to my girlfriend about this. What I don't get is, why wouldn't it be safe to use your hands since it's ok on your head? Besides the yellow nails I don't see why it should be a problem. When I used to relax my hair I did it with bare hands alot of the time. The only thing I noticed was my finger prints seemed worn off for the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Mars_Reiko

I use bare hands myself. For a long while I thought I was the only one that thought this way was the fastest and easiest. I do coat my hands with a thick hair grease before I start. So I guess technically, I don't use my bare hands:look: