I'M BALD

OMG girl, my heart cries for you..........but... I say don't chop yet!!!! One thing I learned since being a member and a lurker here and at other sites is there might be a way to combat this problem. I remember seeing a sight where a girl hair totally broke off in the middle/back (honestly, she looked like she had a bad balding issue) of her hair ( I think the link was also posted somewhere here) and she used MTG and her hair grew back quickly and very nicely!!!!!!!!! There must be something you can do! How about waiting a bit to see if someone has a great suggestion for you. I agree with the protein treatment (like aphogee) to stop the breakage and strengthen your hair. When I was suffering from hair damage about 2 years ago, I did an aphogee regimen for about 3 weeks and nipped that problem in the bud. Hang in there girl and I bet someone here can help you. Also, pray on it. I know that might sound far fetched but God is good, have faith!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry that your going through this. I recalled last year another member went through something similar. She had SEVERE overprocessing thanks to her stylist, she taught she had to cut it off but she managed to save her hair doing an extreme protein treatment. I believe it was Foxyfinebrown, I'm not sure but she managed to save her hair. You should follow the suggestions of the other ladies and try doing an Aphogee treatment, Porosity control & moisturizing treatments. Your hair broke out even more because you put on braids too soon after the relaxer, well you live and learn and you will get through this.

It's gonna be ok :kiss: . I am sorry your hair came out. Look at it this way at least your know how to take care of it and could possibly get 6 inches or longer with in the next year. I shaved my hair bald in Fall of 2003. At the end of 2004 when I first came here, I was about 5- 5 1/2 inches long. Now, a whole year after coming here, I am about 4 inches from bra strap. You can do this girl. While I was bald I wore a quick weave. When it was long enough, I began to sew my weaves in. I then wore braids. Now I bun. It is going to be okay. BTW, I cut my hair peach fuzz low due to damaged and I wanted to start over. Also, remember your husband married you and not your hair. ;) It's only a set back to come back!

mvonnesha said:
My hair is falling out because I picked up the wrong strength relaxer. I usually use mild, or kiddie perms because they work well for me. I didn't even leave it on for that long, around 10 minutes.
My hair is burned. My hair feels horrible, kind of a cotton candy consistency. Its sticking togther, and there are places that basically look burned. I'm trying to salvage as much as possible, but I think I have to go sinnead o'connor bald. Oh well! Maybe I can convince my husband that sinnead o' connor is sexy.

Its entirely my fault, I'm going thru some things and I definately wasn't paying attention. I've kind of been in a daze lately. I wasn't paying attention in the beauty supply store or at home. I guess I can give a warning to everyone: Pay Attention When Using Relaxers.

Sorry to hear about your woes. I agree with the other ladies...I definitely say see a stylist b/c although they might not have the best hair health advice, a stylist may be able to come up with a cut or style that can get you through this period of damage.

I also wanted to suggest using aloe vera gel on your burned areas. Some ladies (i.e. me, DatJerseyDime, et. al.) use it as a leave in among other things, but it does a great job of healing burns & sores, and it will probably soften up the cotton candy consistency of your hair.

HTH...

{DI}

sorry to here this...did you neutralize your hair after the relaxer? how long did you leave the relaxer in? what's your time period between touch ups? did you put the relaxer on the length of your hair, or just the new growth...have you considered going natural?

You owe it to your self to do an MTG deep conditioning overnight to see if you can save your hair. It is safe to say that: All of your sulphur bonds have been broken due to the super relaxer. You need to put sulphur into the hair shaft....then protein pack....then acid (like an AVC rinse that you do not rinse out, but cover with a deep conditioner (laced with honey, and coconut milk and liquid kelp) rinse well, and handle very carefully. Gently apply EVO throughout sectioned hair and pin up into loose wrap very carefully. Repeat in 4 days. Please continue to handle your hair with kid gloves. After the 2nd treatment, apply your conditioner, but put in Black Strap Molasses from the health food store. This willl help to restore the sugar bond. Hope this helps. Let me know what is happening at the end of the first and 2nd treatment. Bonjour

I am very sorry for your experience. It is horrible to have this happen. I've been there years ago. But, the better part of your experience is that you have the benefit of this loving, knowledgable board. There are some great suggestions on this thread.
For my two cwnts, I agree that you should do a neutralizing shampoo and do a deep protein treatment immediately.
I just tried the Biolustre professional strength and I put it in myself. You can read about the thread if you should want to try it. I really think it would help. An Ebay seller has both the regular size 16oz and a smaller size enough for one treatment. http://www.biolustre.com
Because of my experience with a "bad" relaxer (it had expired on the store shelf and chemically changed) I no longer use traditional relaxers. I've been using the Bodiphier by a company called Fresh Look. I really like it and have never had a problem. I know that I may be jumping the gun bc the last thing you are problably thinking about is another relaxer, but maybe in the distant future.
Oh, and lastly, your husband- if he thought enough of you to marry you- then he must think more of you than what shape your hair is in. If all he wanted was a pretty head of hair - he could have bought himself a wig! :lol:

I can completely sympathize with you. Almost four years ago I decided to dye my entire head of hair. Slowly but surely all of my hair begin to come out. I ended up cutting my hair almost down to the scalp. I wore individual braids for two years until I felt comfortable with my length. Now my hair is almost to bra strap. Don't worry, it can and will grow back. Hang in there!

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's probably best to follow some the wonderful advice these ladies have given by treating the hair you still have before you decide to cut it off. Don't worry sweatie - before you know it, your hair will be better than ever before!

I want to thank everyone for their advice. I just cut it all off, the damage was too extensive. I'm not worried about it growing back, because three years ago I cut off all of my hair. Last time I shaved it off, just because I was tired of doing my hair.Then I found this forum and started caring about having long,healthy hair. Its just kind of ironic that when I finally want long hair, I have to cut it all off. Oh well. Thanks again.

Back