I'm confused...BKT & still natural?

blasiancurlie

I'm confused. I've seen that a couple ladies say they are transitioning with the BKT or that the BKT is a great way to have straight hair and still remain natural. Doesn't the BKT have chemicals? And if you apply chemicals (to chemically straighten) your hair doesn't that make you un-natural?

ETA: BKT = Brazilian Keratin Treatment

Last edited:

GoingNatural

I'm confused. I've seen that a couple ladies say they are transitioning with the BKT or that the BKT is a great way to have straight hair and still remain natural. Doesn't the BKT have chemicals? And if you apply chemicals to your hair doesn't that make you un-natural?

I'm not sure what BKT is...but I will say that if I dye my hair in the future I will still consider myself natural. I know that is an ongoing "debate"/discussion on the board.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I have no clue if chemicals are involved or not. I've never had one before.

BKT~I'm thinking it's the Brazillian Keratin Treatment??:perplexed

blasiancurlie

Sorry should've elaborated. I was talking about the Brazilian Keratin Treatment. I don't know too much about it but it straigtens your hair for 3-4 months and it is applied to all your hair. It can be put on top of previously relaxed hair. From looking at before and after pics, it looks like a great alternative to relaxers.

Thanks bravenewgirl, i didn't know that it completely washes out!

Last edited:

blasiancurlie

just IMHO, i think if you apply dye i would still consider you natural because you still have your naturally curly hair. but the Brazilian Keratin Treatment straigthens out your hair so that it no longer curls (i think).

I'm not sure what BKT is...but I will say that if I dye my hair in the future I will still consider myself natural. I know that is an ongoing "debate"/discussion on the board.

Chameleonchick

I did a search on it, this is what I found.

From http://www.short-hair-style.com/keratin-hair-treatment.html

The October issue of Allure magazine in US includes an investigation into the Brazilian Keratin hair treatment also known as "escova progressiva" treatments, which cost as much as $600 and claim to turn dry, frizzy hair into smooth, silky hair for months. Stylists and clients often wear gas masks or other protective equipment and still may feel the ill effects of this potentially fatal gas.

Many customers and stylists do not know that this Brazilian treatment often contains high concentrations of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical.

The magazine found that many of the most popular treatments on the market contain at least ten times more formaldehyde than the .2 percent considered safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate cosmetics but now is looking into the "escova progressiva" treatments.

Some salon owners and stylists believed that their Brazilian keratin treatment solution contained 2 percent and not .2 percent formaldehyde and that is actually approved by the FDA. But that statement is false according to FDA's spokeswoman Veronica Castero.

Most stylists using this treatment said they use safe measure, like wearing latex gloves and working near ventilation hood or windows, but that might not be enough.

Most interesting part is that this product claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

Many hair salons are started to suspend this kind of treatments and others offering their own alternative to unsafe popular Brazilian Keratin treatment. Yellow Strawberry Salon in Florida has developed its own Caribbean Dream treatment. "Caribbean Dream requires no gas masks, no extreme or unorthodox safety equipment and stylists can use this product without worrying about endangering their clients or themselves, confident that this hair treatment will give women the same, sought-after look as escova progressiva," Says the owner Jesse Briggs.

crazydaze911

Yes you are still natural. Its applied to your hair but its just a coating - much like conditioner (you put it in, ur hair gets soft and silky, then you wash it out and are back to normal) accept this lasts much longer cuz heat is used to seal the coating on top of your hair. it wears off from washing and just time. i love it so far. since its not physically permanently changing my texture from the cortex (or inside out) i'm still natural. another example would be using a temporary dye that sits on your hair and washes out rather than going permanent. btw - i too would still want to be labeled as natural if i ever choose to dye my hair :grin:

blasiancurlie

Oh ok, i see now. i didn't know that it washes out and your back to normal! i thought that it did permanently change your texture so that your hair is straighter (much like a relaxer except not as harsh). i just thought that once you put it in, your texture is loosened and at the end of 3-4 months you would have new growth that is a different texture. that was my mistake!

the reason why i asked is because i liked the results i saw on other websites but i'm transitioning, so i don't want to ruin my natural texture. so once you washed it all out did your curls revert crazydaze?

Yes you are still natural. Its applied to your hair but its just a coating - much like conditioner (you put it in, ur hair gets soft and silky, then you wash it out and are back to normal) accept this lasts much longer cuz heat is used to seal the coating on top of your hair. it wears off from washing and just time. i love it so far. since its not physically permanently changing my texture from the cortex (or inside out) i'm still natural. another example would be using a temporary dye that sits on your hair and washes out rather than going permanent. btw - i too would still want to be labeled as natural if i ever choose to dye my hair :grin:

Last edited:

blasiancurlie

:blush: on second thought, maybe i should stay faaaaar away from this

I did a search on it, this is what I found.

From http://www.short-hair-style.com/keratin-hair-treatment.html

The October issue of Allure magazine in US includes an investigation into the Brazilian Keratin hair treatment also known as "escova progressiva" treatments, which cost as much as $600 and claim to turn dry, frizzy hair into smooth, silky hair for months. Stylists and clients often wear gas masks or other protective equipment and still may feel the ill effects of this potentially fatal gas.

Many customers and stylists do not know that this Brazilian treatment often contains high concentrations of formaldehyde, a cancer-causing chemical.

The magazine found that many of the most popular treatments on the market contain at least ten times more formaldehyde than the .2 percent considered safe by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review Expert Panel. The Food and Drug Administration does not regulate cosmetics but now is looking into the "escova progressiva" treatments.

Some salon owners and stylists believed that their Brazilian keratin treatment solution contained 2 percent and not .2 percent formaldehyde and that is actually approved by the FDA. But that statement is false according to FDA's spokeswoman Veronica Castero.

Most stylists using this treatment said they use safe measure, like wearing latex gloves and working near ventilation hood or windows, but that might not be enough.

Most interesting part is that this product claim smooth silky hair using Keratin, but it seems keratin has nothing to do with hair straightening and does NOT change the structure of the hair and it's really the formaldehyde that makes the treatment work. According to Allure Magazine "It's doubtful that keratin does anything except provide a good marketing story. It's window dressing."

Many hair salons are started to suspend this kind of treatments and others offering their own alternative to unsafe popular Brazilian Keratin treatment. Yellow Strawberry Salon in Florida has developed its own Caribbean Dream treatment. "Caribbean Dream requires no gas masks, no extreme or unorthodox safety equipment and stylists can use this product without worrying about endangering their clients or themselves, confident that this hair treatment will give women the same, sought-after look as escova progressiva," Says the owner Jesse Briggs.

crazydaze911

Oh ok, i see now. i didn't know that it washes out and your back to normal! i thought that it did permanently change your texture so that your hair is straighter (much like a relaxer except not as harsh). i just thought that once you put it in, your texture is loosened and at the end of 3-4 months you would have new growth that is a different texture. that was my mistake!

the reason why i asked is because i liked the results i saw on other websites but i'm transitioning, so i don't want to ruin my natural texture. so once you washed it all out did your curls revert crazydaze?

blasiancurlie, sorry - i havent had it long enough for it to have washed out yet. I've only had it about a month. It was a desperate act so i didnt care about the ingredients - it was either BKT or Relax and be upset the next day - lol. They do have a formaldehyde FREE BKT, but i got the regular one. It was only a one time thing and i had a mask - you only get 'sick' or 'cancer' from ongoing, overuse of products. once or twice a year should have no ill effects (like getting an xray at the dentist). for you its ok, but for the stylist (or dental assistant) doing it everyday would be harmful in the long run. Hope this helps. you should do some research on your own, especially if you like the results.

JLove74

blasiancurlie, sorry - i havent had it long enough for it to have washed out yet. I've only had it about a month. It was a desperate act so i didnt care about the ingredients - it was either BKT or Relax and be upset the next day - lol. They do have a formaldehyde FREE BKT, but i got the regular one. It was only a one time thing and i had a mask - you only get 'sick' or 'cancer' from ongoing, overuse of products. once or twice a year should have no ill effects (like getting an xray at the dentist). for you its ok, but for the stylist (or dental assistant) doing it everyday would be harmful in the long run. Hope this helps. you should do some research on your own, especially if you like the results.

The formaldehyde free formula isn't actuly free, it just contains a lower percentage of formaldehyde. It is a chemical service.... Here is a recent thread on it. All I can say is if it's chemical free, why do you need a fan, gloves and goggles to apply it:perplexed:perplexed:ohwell::nono:

Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=213795&highlight=keratin

Video: http://www.ehow.com/video_2214442_tr...illasenor.html

The name may be different, but the ingredients and process are the same.

blasiancurlie

:blush: yea i've decided against this treatment...does sound kinda deadly. jlove74, your video link didn't work for me but i take your word for it!

The formaldehyde free formula isn't actuly free, it just contains a lower percentage of formaldehyde. It is a chemical service.... Here is a recent thread on it. All I can say is if it's chemical free, why do you need a fan, gloves and goggles to apply it:perplexed:perplexed:ohwell::nono:

Thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=213795&highlight=keratin

crazydaze911

Hey Jlove:
I dont recall anyone saying its chemical free. it just isnt permanent. Since its temporary, a person would still be natural once it wears off. most products including hand soap have some chemicals, but you are right, these are strong. but like i said - its a once or twice a year thing and the results are awesome. i live in nyc and breathe in cigarette smoke and pollution just walking down the street -this treatment wasnt as irritating to me as that :grin:. and as much as formaldehyde (cant spell) is 'bad', its in alot of 'good' products in other countries including (the most popular) nail hardener. i guess it depends on the person. i'm not a saleswoman, but i just really liked the results so i'm trying to get everyone to keep an open mind. for me it was really the ONLY compromise to keep me sane w/out going back to relaxers.