Took the plunge...Dreamhair BKT Experience (Pic Heavy)

Ediese

Lovenharmony, I want to thank you so much for a step by step tutorial. I've read the BKT thread, and was still not clear of what the process steps were, but you definitely broke it down. I'm much more of a visual person. Thanks so much for doing this!!! This is an awesome thread!!!!! 5 stars*****

Please post pics of your wet hair whenever you do your first 1st. :)

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Lovenharmony, I want to thank you so much for a step by step tutorial. I've read the BKT thread, and was still not clear of what the process steps were, but you definitely broke it down. I'm much more of a visual person. Thanks so much for doing this!!! This is an awesome thread!!!!! 5 stars*****

Please post pics of your wet hair whenever you do your first 1st. :)

Thanks! I sure will :yep:

vkb247

Looks very good! Did you have to blow dry before applying the treatment or was that your choice?

isabella09

:clapping: Excellent job on your first application! Thank you for the equally excellent step by step photo guide and coments as this was not only informative but fun to read (loved the picture of your reaction to using a round brush to straighten your hair :lachen:). The end results looks fantastic! I’m glad to read that you’re feeling better from all the fumes.

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Looks very good! Did you have to blow dry before applying the treatment or was that your choice?

You need to blowdry your hair after putting on the treatment. It helps to evenly distribute the product over your hair and it makes it easier to flat iron.

Kneechay

i think your results are pretty, I'm not considering a BKT but I wanted to ask you (and perhaps other natural/texlaxed ladies considering this) if you feel you can't achieve the same look without a really good flat iron? What led to this decision?

I guess I want to know why a lot of people are considering BKT, is it to just loosen texture? Can't a relaxer achieve that? I'm also asking especially since all you said regarding fumes, chest pain, etc.

I'm not knocking your decision at all, I'm more curious. I'm just slightly confused about BKT and have been for a while and just figured i'd ask users once and for all.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Just a quick update...I did my first wash just one day after I did my BKT (couldn't wait 4 days) and it's great! All I did was blow dry and put my good ol shea butter on it and put it in a bun. I left it in a bun for the remainder of the time and took it down to see how it looks now. It's sooo much better! I dont like the stick straight look - doesn't look good with my big apple head :look: so I'm happy that it has a lot of body now. When I first did it, it was a bit too straight for me.

Here's how the back looks...

Here's my hair from the front

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
i think your results are pretty, I'm not considering a BKT but I wanted to ask you (and perhaps other natural/texlaxed ladies considering this) if you feel you can't achieve the same look without a really good flat iron? What led to this decision?

I guess I want to know why a lot of people are considering BKT, is it to just loosen texture? Can't a relaxer achieve that? I'm also asking especially since all you said regarding fumes, chest pain, etc.

I'm not knocking your decision at all, I'm more curious. I'm just slightly confused about BKT and have been for a while and just figured i'd ask users once and for all.

Sure! I don't mind questions...in fact I welcome them! I particularly went for the BKT because I wanted to have the relaxed look, but to keep my curls. Since a BKT doesn't permanently straighten your hair, I believe it was the best option for me. I'm transitioning and I was never into flat ironing my hair, so to keep flat ironing on a weekly basis to have the straight look was out of the question for me. I also feel it would help me to transition without the BC cause I plan on being a long term transitioner.

This is the longest my hair has been in my life so I don't want to hack it all off right now :yep: Not only that, but a BKT is supposed to strengthen the hair with keratin so I feel it is much more beneficial than using a relaxer to get my hair straight. IMO, a BKT is the best of both worlds! You get to go back to your natural hair within a couple of weeks / months plus you have the option of wearing it straight with very little effort. Even when I was fully relaxed, my hair NEVER looked straight when I flat ironed! I'm surprised that the BKT worked so well to be quite honest. Not only that, but my hair has BODY, which I could never get after freshly relaxing my hair. It was always limp and thin looking. By the time it started to have body again, it would be time to relax :nono:

As for the formaldehyde...well, that was my decision to use a BKT which contained it and I learned the hard way that the fumes were stronger than I had anticipated. If I do BKT again, I will use a formula that is formaldehyde free.

As far as the heat goes, I rarely use direct heat and when I did, my hair fared well. Since I don't plan on using BKT on the regular, this shouldn't be a problem.

Well, I hope I answered most of your questions about why I decided to use BKT :grin: I hope some of the BKT gurus chime in!

nubinikki

Your hair looks fabulous. and i love the detailed step by step pics. :) i hope you do a post just like this when you try the formaldehyde-free version.

I'd love to try the BKT but I don't think my fine/fragile strands could handle all that heat!

NorthernCalGal

You need to blowdry your hair after putting on the treatment. It helps to evenly distribute the product over your hair and it makes it easier to flat iron.

I'm doing the BKT tomorrow, so I want to be 100% clear. Do you have to blowdry your hair "before" applying the treatment? On the Dreamhair website, they state you shampoo, section hair & then apply treatment. They only blowdry "after" applying the treatment. It would be nice to only have to blowdry once, but is there a benefit in doing it twice? Am I missing something here?

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I'm doing the BKT tomorrow, so I want to be 100% clear. Do you have to blowdry your hair "before" applying the treatment? On the Dreamhair website, they state you shampoo, section hair & then apply treatment. They only blowdry "after" applying the treatment. It would be nice to only have to blowdry once, but is there a benefit in doing it twice? Am I missing something here?

I have the Dreamhair DVD and it instructs me to blowdry the hair 100%before applying the Dreamhair solution. If the product is placed on the hair when wet, the possibility of diluting the keratin treatment increases, which could wreak havoc on your strands if each hair strand is not fully covered before the flat iron process. If you don't want to blowdry, then possibly you could airdry your hair...but make sure that it has been detangled so it will be easier to apply the product. HTH :drunk:

NorthernCalGal

I have the Dreamhair DVD and it instructs me to blowdry the hair 100%before applying the Dreamhair solution. If the product is placed on the hair when wet, the possibility of diluting the keratin treatment increases, which could wreak havoc on your strands if each hair strand is not fully covered before the flat iron process. If you don't want to blowdry, then possibly you could airdry your hair...but make sure that it has been detangled so it will be easier to apply the product. HTH :drunk:

Thank you so much, your post was SUPER informative!! Can't wait to try this.