Took the plunge...Dreamhair BKT Experience (Pic Heavy)

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I posted a while ago stating that I would take the plunge and try the BKT that I was staring at for the past month. Well, I finally did it! :grin:

The following posts will be pic heavy so bare with me

Here's my hair before I started the treatment

I'm about 26 weeks post so I have a good amount of NG

Here's my hair down

Front view

I'll be using Dreamhair Keratin Treatment with Acai Berry

Here's after I washed my hair with Dreamhair clarifying shampoo

This is my hair after I blow dried with no product...I was a bit nervous because I have never blow dried my hair "naked" before

As you can tell by my reaction, I wasn't so anxious about using a round brush later on to straighten my hair! :lachen:

To put on the treatment I parted my hair into 4 sections

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Here's another look from the front

Here's my hair with the Dreamhair combed through. I think I may have put the BKT too close to my scalp cause some parts started to feel irritated

On that note, I started the blow drying process. Here are the tools I was using to finish the process. I didn't have a round brush, so I used a denman brush and comb, a small comb for the flat ironing process, a medium size comb, some ouchless ties and hair clips. The flat iron I used was Turbo Tools ceramic flat iron.

Here's my hair after blow drying "straight" with my denman brush. I was using a fan, but the fumes were still overwhelming! I had to take breaks in between so I could breathe easier. My chest was hurting and eyes were stinging from the fumes, but thankfully it started to subside once I was finished. Maybe I used too much product?

Here's a view from the front...I was a bit dizzy from the fumes

To get ready to flat iron, I sectioned it off again...this time into 5 sections

Another view from the back

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Here's my first pass over with my flat iron I didn't get my roots super straight, but my hair was already light as a feather!

Here's a bit more of my first pass over my hair with the flat iron

Another view

Here's my second pass over one side of my hair with the flat iron. I was slow because I'm not an expert on flat ironing my hair.

Here's the second pass over all of my hair! Now it's starting to look like BKT hair By this time I was so tired that I took a break for about 15 minutes.

Here's a back shot of my hair once I did the second pass. As you can see, I'm still close to APL, but I have faith that I'll make APL by New Years.

Here's a front view. All in all, I think it came out great for my first application. Except for the fumes and the headache that came along with flat ironing, it was an enjoyable experience.

Here's the finished look! Blinging!! I'd like to thank all the wonderful BKT ladies that helped me along the way so I could strike up the courage to do the BKT. As for doing it again, I think I'll use a formaldehyde free version since it seems I'm a bit more sensitive to it's effects.

Black Ambrosia

It sounds like you only did two passes with your flat iron. Is that right? I think the directions say to do 6 or 7. You know your hair best but I think you might have seen even better results with more passes. What temp was your flat iron set to? It looks good though. Keep up the good work.:grin:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
It sounds like you only did two passes with your flat iron. Is that right? I think the directions say to do 6 or 7. You know your hair best but I think you might have seen even better results with more passes. What temp was your flat iron set to? It looks good though. Keep up the good work.:grin:

Thanks! :grin: Yeah, I did 2 passes over all of my hair, but each small section I passed over 6 or 7 times. I had the flat iron at 430 degrees since that's what the instructions said I could use for Dreamhair. My flat ironing technique needs improvement (I don't flat iron at all) but it still looks nice so I'm happy about that :yep:

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Thanks everyone for your positive comments! It took me quite a while to actually decide to do the brazillian keratin treatment since I'm so afraid of using heat, but I'm glad I did :yep: This will help me along with my long term transition to natural.

Muse

Lookin' good!! It'll only get better with each treatment. I just finished my second one with Dreamhair and it's like...WOW!!! I can't wait for the 1st wash (too tired after application to wash).

ChristmasCarol

Thanks for all the detailed pics. Your post will be very helpful for ladies who are thinking of doing this treatment. Your hair looks great...APL, here comes lovenharmony!

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It looks great! I'm just afraid of fumes!:nono: Your results are awesome, though.:drool::scratchch Can you please tell me where U bought the BKT from and how much it cost?

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Thanks for sharing. How long did it take all together? Would you do it again?

Thanks. It took approximately 4 hours for the whole process. I would try BKT again, but only a formaldehyde free version since it made me irritated.

Last edited:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
It looks great! I'm just afraid of fumes!:nono: Your results are awesome, though.:drool::scratchch Can you please tell me where U bought the BKT from and how much it cost?

Hey DDTexlaxed, I bought the 33oz off of Ebay for $200. It was my Christmas gift to myself :grin: I believe LHCF member Fabulosity was selling samples for cheaper in the Keratin treatment support thread.