I'm considering picking up a flat iron... but I'm a virgin!

JustKiya

I'm considering picking up a flat iron... help me keep my hair!!

So, yeah.

I've NEVER flat ironed my hair before. I think the last time I used heat in my hair at all, it was about - 6 or 7 years ago, and I was using a gold & hot electric pressing comb. :nono: Let's just say I 'gave' myself a haircut, and ended up with some icky crunchy sizzlepoppoped hair. *sigh*

Anyhow. I'm coming up on my two year anniversary, and I kinda sorta maybe want to press/straighten my hair - just to see what I'm working with.

I have fine strands, 4a over most of my head, healthy - no color, only henna.

I did a search, and these are the tips I gleaned.

Flat Iron
small (eg 1 inch)
Chi or the Sally's Generic Chi, FHI, MaxiGlide (I wish I could rent one!! :lol:), but skip the Sedu
Tourmaline + Ceramic combination

Products
serum for straightening (Chi silk infusion)
heat protectant (Nexxus Heat Protexx, KeraCare's Leave In & Silken Seal, Ion Heat Protectant, Aveda Brillant Anti Humctant)
Creme rather than water based products
jojoba oil with a little bit of shea butter
AfroDetangler???

Prepping
Deep DC
leave-in with heavy moisture, light protein
air dry over night in fat plaits (not willing to learn how to rollerset for a once every couple of years thang :lol: )

Technique
flat iron UP
VERY light hand with the products
Run fine tooth comb through hair right in front of the flat iron
Bump the ends under, slightly.

I'm looking for two things -

1) Videos/Suggestions on techniques - I saw it repeatedly stated that it wasn't the flat iron, it's not the temp setting, it's the TECHNIQUE that determines how flat your hair gets and how long it takes to revert.

2) Other product suggestions. I'm a strictly no petroleum products/no cones kinda gal, but I THINK that I don't have a choice when it comes to the cones if I want to protect my hair from damage.

I'm kinda suprised I'm even considering it - but I'm so curious to see what it would look like straight! I suspect I'll wash it out in a day or two, but I'll have fun with it til then!

TIA, ya'll!!! :grin:

Last edited:
Technique
flat iron UP

1) Videos/Suggestions on techniques - I saw it repeatedly stated that it wasn't the flat iron, it's not the temp setting, it's the TECHNIQUE that determines how flat your hair gets and how long it takes to revert.

i've never heard of flat ironing "up," i will have to try this.

you're making me feel bad now, i planned to make a video next time i straighten my hair but today isn't the day... :nono:

I just got my Maxi in the mail. I too haven't flat ironed my hair in yeaarss. So I amso excited. I am planning to do most of everything you mentioned as well. I gleaned this information from reading post after post after post.

With the maxiglide there is no need for the running the comb before the flat iron business though.

I plan to use IC Fantasia Heat Protectant though.
I want to use a straightening balm. I haven't been able to find any post about ladies using a balm nor have I been able to find a balm.

I don't know if I will air dry. I am thinking about getting an Ion Blow Dryer. It seems as if the negative ions can be very beneficial to the hair. Like I just want to blow dry over the hair just to get the ions. So in fact I might air dry 80% and than blow dry the other 20% for the positive affect of the ion blow dryer.

I also plan to add the heat protectant on damp hair.

well... i have thick strands so i don't know how helpful my info is. but me and serums don't get along. :look:

From the pics that I have seen of your hair, we are hair twins or very close to it....here is what I would edit about what you stated:

Flat Iron
Chi or the Sally's Generic Chi <--- I would not use :nono: My hair laughs at the Chi every time that I or a professional has used it on my hair. Ironically, my hair responds best to the $50 Jibere flat iron (ceramic coated) from Sally's or stove marcels. It doesnt need to be pure ceramic in my opinion because you wont use it that often.

Products
You do not need a serum for straightening AND a heat protectant. Usually, one product will serve both functions and that leaves your hair lighter. I havent used the other products that you listed but I have had great results with Redken Heat Glide and it was the ONLY product I used besides my diluted leave-in.

I also would NOT use cream OR water based products. All you need is a light oil like jojoba or sweet almond AFTER you complete your process for maintence. I would not use Shea Butter....too heavy for a straight style.

Prepping
air dry over night in fat plaits <---- To be candid, the puffiest straight styles I have seen have been from using this method. In order to have good straight hair results, you should use a *gasp* I know...a blowdryer with a comb attachement. My philosophy is that if Im going to use heat...I might as well do it all the way instead of using half the heat and getting half the results (puffy straight hair). If you use it on a medium setting and use a heat protectant, your hair will be fine....and 5x straighter in the end. I guess it just depends on what end look you are going for.

Technique
flat iron UP <---- I flat-iron at like a 90 degree angle :look:
VERY light hand with the products
Run fine tooth comb through hair right in front of the flat iron
Bump the ends under, slightly

Everything else sounds good...just make sure you take small sections and make sure your hair is coated with heat protectant....I prefer to have slightly heavier hair than to end up with straight ends because I was skimpy on product.

I hope that helps...I also have a journal entry that talks about straightening natural hair.

Please post pics :grin:

Thanks BROWN SUGA!

I am going to take a look at your journal too.

That's something I was saying today. I don't want half done straight hair. I want my style to look good. If this straightening business does not look right..I will leave it alone ASAP.

Sometimes we have to stick with what works for us. And having fluffy half straightened napps is not what I want. Just not the look I am going for.

But, that's just me.

brownsugars advice sounds good.:yep:

I'm not sure about the Aveda Brillant Anti Humctant as heat protection though.I can hear a sizzle in the distance.:blush:

Also,if you blow dry or plan on using high heat,please use a heat protectant the says it protects up to 450 degrees.I like nexxus but I find it to be light.

Last edited:
Oooh, thank you, thank you, ladies!! This is just the kind of information I'm looking for. My anniversary isn't til May :look: but I wanted to get an early start on thinking about it.

My three year ANIV isn't until June, but I am going to do it this weekend. It's just a style. Plus I've been downing these vitamins and stuff. I want to see what type of growth I get between now and then.

Back