I'm finally learning how to handle my relaxed hair...

mango387

and now everyone else is going natural. I went natural and stayed that way for three years during college. Then, I relaxed right before grad school. I've been relaxed every since. Anyway, I think I'm going to keep it relaxed and then I may grow it out w/ braids and twists. Does anyone feel that way about their relaxed hair?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking...sorry! Do we feel what way?

I'm sorry. I've finally mastered the protein-moisture balance. I'm retaining length better (I've always had at least shoulder length hair, but I know how to reach longer lengths). I can stretch both successfully and stylishly now. Did anyone else struggle with their relaxed hair a bit, and now you know how to make it do all the things that you desired? Just as I've mastered the relaxed look, now it seems like everyone else is going natural. There is nothing wrong with that, but I'm like "Hey, I was just getting good at the relaxed thing."

*Confused* Are you asking if anyone transitioned after having relaxer regret although they knew how to care for the relaxed hair properly?

There are still a lot of relaxed heads where I live and having relaxed as a teenager I remember my natural hair clearly. While I love my curls I'm not willing to deal with the shrinkage. I know that I will not have visible length with natural hair so I'm quite content with my relaxed hair for now.

I'm relaxed and I'm staying relaxed. I would like to know how you stretch stylishly:yep: I have recently found co washing and finger detangling to be major new steps in helping my relaxed hair be great:grin:

*Confused* Are you asking if anyone transitioned after having relaxer regret although they knew how to care for the relaxed hair properly?

Yes and no (Maybe, I'm having an off day). I'm asking if anyone had jacked up relaxed hair, came to LHCF, and learned how to manage/grow it (Basically, what you stated). Then, as that person learned how to improve the health/length of her relaxed hair, she looked around and realized that everyone is going natural. Now, that person is like "Hey, I'm just getting used to being relaxed." (Think: Bobby just mastered programming the VCR now everyone has DVD/Blu-Ray/Tivo situation) I hope that makes sense. I'm not really seeking advice, but I wanted to know if anyone else felt that way about their relaxed hair.

Last edited:
I do see many going natural in my everyday AND I see many woman wearing more weaves and wigs.

Many of us came here learn how to take care of our hair. Some went natural some came back to the relaxer side and some never left.

I went back to relaxing after being natural for almost 2 years and I am quite happy with my progress. I am still learning and I am now just biding my time til I make my goals.

I will probably go natural after that just to see if I can make it to WL with natural hair

I'm relaxed and I'm staying relaxed. I would like to know how you stretch stylishly:yep: I have recently found co washing and finger detangling to be major new steps in helping my relaxed hair be great:grin:

I have 4b hair and braid-outs are great for stretching. Just make sure your ends are moisturized. Also, I like some of the braided styles (Cornrows and buns/pompadours/curls). There are ways to create elegant, touchable combos with braids if you are not opposed to braids.

Last edited:
I think I know what you are asking OP. It took me a while to get the protein-moisture balance right too. Now, I'm retaining length and having success being relaxed, but being natural is "in" right now, I guess. Some of the girls I know who transitioned ask me about my relaxed hair since they are thinking of relaxing again.

I think I know what you are asking OP. It took me a while to get the protein-moisture balance right too. Now, I'm retaining length and having success being relaxed, but being natural is "in" right now, I guess. Some of the girls I know who transitioned ask me about my relaxed hair since they are thinking of relaxing again.

That's what I meant. Personally, I feel that natural hair is better, BUT I don't want to change just yet. This is not a critique on anyone else's choice, but I just wanted to know if anyone else felt that way.

There are still plenty of sistas that are still relaxed. You have to do whats best for your hair and rock the style you like the most. So what if it seems like everyone is going natural. You do you.

Shoot i'm natural today but if I ever wanted to be relaxed again I would do it. Be glad that you've experienced both.

Your story sounds just like mine. I love my relaxed hair. I have thought of going natural then I stop and think about it, its only because everyone else is doing it. I love the ease of my relaxed hair. I know if I were to go natural it would only be for a year or two just to see my natural texture then relax again.

I have no plans to go natural anytime soon. I too have just started to take care of my relaxed hair and it is thriving. Every relaxer stretch gets easier and easier for me, its crazy how much better i am at this. My hair 10 wks post during my HHG looks better than my hair 4 wks post before my HHG (when i was still hacking away on it with flat-ironing, blowdrying, the comb, etc.) I've got a set regimen i like to call, "the leave it alone and it'll grow" regimen. ;)

Hey there!

I'm happy you found what works for your relaxed hair. Ain't it great! :)

Yes, there are more and more naturals around. I think it's a positive thing. I love seeing the variety of textures and styles. I've learned techniques and tried products because of naturals as well as relaxed heads.

We're all in this hair thing together! Let's grow!

Back