I Finally Did It!!

LexiDior

Im officially apart of the natural community now. I big chopped last night!!

After 24 years of being relaxed I finally meet my natural hair. Im going to miss being APL but with all the breakage I had when I was relaxed, it was more stress than it was worth.

So, any tips for my TWA?

Attachments

• IMG_0969.JPG
    IMG_0969.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 251

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Oh no! You can do whatever you want with it. Im in TX and today (December the 9th) it was 75 degrees. I keep forgetting its supposed to be fall/winter.

Would I need to wet it everyday?

Right now I just plan to keep it moisturized and wear a wig. I dont like the way I look with a TWA.

LexiDior

Oh no! You can do whatever you want with it. Im in TX and today (December the 9th) it was 75 degrees. I keep forgetting its supposed to be fall/winter.

Im trying to figure out how wash n gos works but Im worried about leaving the house during the winter with my hair wet.

I can hear my mama telling me im going to get sick.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Would I need to wet it everyday?

Right now I just plan to keep it moisturized and wear a wig. I dont like the way I look with a TWA.
My twa was shorter than yours so I definitely wore wigs for the first year or so. Once it was long enough to braid I wore cornrows underneath.

Use a gentle shampoo and always condition afterwards. You may or may not need a leave in depending on your porosity.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Wait until the temperature is suitable. Def don't want to get sick.

Im trying to figure out how wash n gos works but Im worried about leaving the house during the winter with my hair wet.

I can hear my mama telling me im going to get sick.

LexiDior

My twa was shorter than yours so I definitely wore wigs for the first year or so. Once it was long enough to braid I wore cornrows underneath.

Use a gentle shampoo and always condition afterwards. You may or may not need a leave in depending on your porosity.

What about co washing? Is that a good idea or could I skip it?

Wait until the temperature is suitable. Def don't want to get sick.

Hopefully by spring Ill have something to work with.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Congrats! When I looked at your pic the first thing I thought was that you'd look pretty with some styles that Carmen of My Natural Sistas rocked when she had her twa. You remind me of her in that second pic. I skipped the twa stage but I leave the house with wet hair all the time and I live in Michigan. Actually I went outside with wet hair today. I'm a wash and go girl so wet hair happens more often than not for me. The cold won't make you sick.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
What about co washing? Is that a good idea or could I skip it?
I liked cowashing my twa, because it was so easy. I also did the occasional wash n go after a cowash. Now my hair hates cowashing. My texture has changed quite a bit since my bc 4 years ago. It used to be thick and coarse, but now my strands are fine and soft.

Hopefully by spring Ill have something to work with.

LexiDior

Congrats! When I looked at your pic the first thing I thought was that you'd look pretty with some styles that Carmen of My Natural Sistas rocked when she had her twa. You remind me of her in that second pic. I skipped the twa stage but I leave the house with wet hair all the time and I live in Michigan. Actually I went outside with wet hair today. I'm a wash and go girl so wet hair happens more often than not for me. The cold won't make you sick.

Thank you!

I actually watched a couple of her videos yesterday. Ill look back over her channel to see what else I can find.

I may do a co wash later this week to test out the waters so my hair may be wet when I leave the house. Thanks for the advice.

Caramel74

Im officially apart of the natural community now. I big chopped last night!!

After 24 years of being relaxed I finally meet my natural hair. Im going to miss being APL but with all the breakage I had when I was relaxed, it was more stress than it was worth.

So, any tips for my TWA?

You look beautiful!! pick it out sometimes and enjoy that big soft natural hair that goes with your beautiful features and face. Before you know it you'll be rockin APL again.

SmilingElephant

Congrats Lady! :D

At this length I would suggest at least spritzing it everyday with some water and whatever you choose to mix in your spray bottle. Water is the number one moisturizer, so it is essential for growth to happen.

Think of your hair as a plant. That will help you when it comes to length retention. :) Feed it, water it, prune it every now and then to make sure it grows big and healthy!

Also, as it grows longer, you will find it easier to do everything in sections whether it's washing or detangling...do it in sections...as many as you feel is necessary.

Everything else will be trial and error. Happy hair growing, good luck on your journey!

LexiDior

Congrats Lady! :D

At this length I would suggest at least spritzing it everyday with some water and whatever you choose to mix in your spray bottle. Water is the number one moisturizer, so it is essential for growth to happen.

Think of your hair as a plant. That will help you when it comes to length retention. :) Feed it, water it, prune it every now and then to make sure it grows big and healthy!

Also, as it grows longer, you will find it easier to do everything in sections whether it's washing or detangling...do it in sections...as many as you feel is necessary.

Everything else will be trial and error. Happy hair growing, good luck on your journey!

Thank you for the advice. Ive never thought of my hair as a plan. You're at WL so I know you have good tips.

Anything else I should know?

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Thank you!
Will picking it out often mess up the curl pattern?
Congratz!!! Picking your hair will definitely break up your curls, so you may have to restyle to get them back.

And you look fine w/a TWA. And remember your hair won't be this short for long. Hang in there. Love learning what works for you. Fall in love w/your curl pattern. It is an awesome process.

Caramel74

Thank you!

Will picking it out often mess up the curl pattern?

I don't think so because when you wet it it goes right back. I pick out my hair after it's been drying in a bun. It gets the natural oils to the ends, gets the tangles out and just looks really cool. For us picking out our hair is like a straight haired person brushing their hair. It just gets the tangles out. Like if you slept on your hair and then before cowashing it you would pick it.

LexiDior

Congratz!!! Picking your hair will definitely break up your curls, so you may have to restyle to get them back.

And you look fine w/a TWA. And remember your hair won't be this short for long. Hang in there. Love learning what works for you. Fall in love w/your curl pattern. It is an awesome process.

I love my curls right now, didnt know I had them so im enjoying it. I cant stop touching my hair.

I don't think so because when you wet it it goes right back. I pick out my hair after it's been drying in a bun. It gets the natural oils to the ends, gets the tangles out and just looks really cool. For us picking out our hair is like a straight haired person brushing their hair. It just gets the tangles out. Like if you slept on your hair and then before cowashing it you would pick it.

Ok I just didnt want to mess it up now that I have it.

discodumpling

It's a twa so wash n wear is key at this stage of the game. It allows you hair to STAY moisturized and you really get t know your hair. Don't worry about wet hair it's the perfect length for quick drying. I wash between 5& 6 AM almost everyday and i'm mostly dry by the time I sit at my desk by 8:30, or 9 AM. My hair is thriving! Check out the wash n go threads!

LexiDior

It's a twa so wash n wear is key at this stage of the game. It allows you hair to STAY moisturized and you really get t know your hair. Don't worry about wet hair it's the perfect length for quick drying. I wash between 5& 6 AM almost everyday and i'm mostly dry by the time I sit at my desk by 8:30, or 9 AM. My hair is thriving! Check out the wash n go threads!

I do love how fast my hair dries and how easy it is to wash it. I will definitely go check out the WnG threads here on the forums. Thanks.

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Congrats on your cute TWA. Looks good on you! I've had a TWA 3 times so hit me up if you need to ask a question and enjoy this fun stage!