~~I'm Getting LowLights... Advise Needed~~

ItsyBitsy

Ladies, I am so through with hair rinses. The color won't stick & it bleeds all over the bathroom when I wash my hair.

To cover my grays, i've decided to get lowlights (partial/crown only). I've read alot about highlights but I don't hear much about lowlights. Are they less damaging that highlights? I am really concerned about breakage and dryness. I am really good about DC & moisturizing so hopefully i won't have any problems. Any information or feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated.

My appointment is Thursday afternoon, so I still have time to cancel if needed :look:

TIA

gymfreak336

Ladies, I am so through with hair rinses. The color won't stick & it bleeds all over the bathroom when I wash my hair.

To cover my grays, i've decided to get lowlights (partial/crown only). I've read alot about highlights but I don't hear much about lowlights. Are they less damaging that highlights? I am really concerned about breakage and dryness. I am really good about DC & moisturizing so hopefully i won't have any problems. Any information or feedback you can offer is greatly appreciated.

My appointment is Thursday afternoon, so I still have time to cancel if needed :look:

TIA

Hey Sis!

Lowlights and highlight are the same in the since that they will probably use 20vol developer on you which will make them permanent to cover your greys but low lights are usually easier on the hair because it doesn't require the same amount of lifting as high lights do. When they lift the color, your keratin proteins get attacked as the dye tries to break down your melatin to change the color. With lowlights, since you are not lightening the hair to the same extrent, you get less damage. I think its going to look beautiful. Its going to add dimension to your hair. I can't wait to see pics. You take good care of your hair already. Make sure to ask if they think you should change your relaxer strength or scheldule as well.

ItsyBitsy

Thanks for explaining the process!
What color do you think would look good? My natural hair color is a medium sandy brown.
I'll be sure to ask the stylist about changing my relaxer schedule. I'm not planning to relax for at least another 6 weeks.

janeemat

Good Morning Ladies! Bumping.....

Hi Itsy,

I truly understand how you feel about covering grays. I got my semi done on March 8th with my relaxer and just last night I had to touch up my edges to cover up the greys. It really is for the birds. But girl, whatever you do, don't get a color with a 20 developer in it. You are asking for trouble. I don't care if they are calling it lowlights. If they're using a 20 developer that is as permanent as it comes. A demi is probably the route you want to take. The developer in that is 10 which I'm told will not damage IF you wait at least 3 wks following a relaxer. My old stylist did a demi on my hair the same day of my relaxer and needless to say, my hair broke down to my scalp all over my head. I am not exaggerating either. My motto with color is if it has to be mixed, don't use it. Maybe one day I will try the demi again since I have read up on it now understand that it's not be used the same day as a relaxer. But for now, it will be semi.

ItsyBitsy

I'm SCARED :sekret:
I have thought about this for a couple of days & I am really reluctant to go through with this. I'm going to call and ask her about using a demi color or a rinse instead.

I have no breakage or shedding issues with my hair which I know is a good time to add color if I want it, BUT I want to keep my hair healthy and free of drama. I am such a wimp when it comes to chemical :nono:

Gymfreak & Janeemat, Thanks for your support

You to Adienberry :wallbash:

j/k :kiss:

janeemat

I'm SCARED :sekret:
I have thought about this for a couple of days & I am really reluctant to go through with this. I'm going to call and ask her about using a demi color or a rinse instead.

I have no breakage or shedding issues with my hair which I know is a good time to add color if I want it, BUT I want to keep my hair healthy and free of drama. I am such a wimp when it comes to chemical :nono:

Gymfreak & Janeemat, Thanks for your support

You to Adienberry :wallbash:

j/k :kiss:

Ask her questions. Especially about the developers, 20 vs 10. Find out if she applies Demis the same day as relaxers. I drilled my stylist so about the demi until he suggests that I stay with semi even when he told me that I should wait about 3 wks. He knows I'm not playing when it comes to color and my hair.

ItsyBitsy

Thanks Janeemat!

I spoke to her & she has agreed to use the 10 developer instead of the 20. She is confident that my hair would tolerate the 20 but to ease my worry...10 it will be.

She said the key to maintaining healthy color treated hair is to DC regularly and to minimize direct heat. These are 2 things that I do anyway so I'm good :yep:

She suggested I wait at least 3 weeks before I relax again. If all goes well with the color, I will let her do my relaxer. She uses Systonics (?)

We will decide on a color when I get there tomorrow. I'll be sure to report back with pictures.