I'm just going to cut it all off...

KinksnCurlz

I\'m just going to cut it all off...

... okay, okay, not all of it but a lot of it. As you all know, i've been trying to grow out my layers for some time but to no avail. The smart thing to do would have been trim and trim and trim until it all evened out but we all know i was trying to gain length (healthy of course) this past year so trimming so much was a no go. While my layers have grown tremendously, the shortest ones r just not where i would have expected them to be. So i'm going to get a blunt cut a little shorter then shoulderlength (but hey, that's what they have weaves for
) That'll be about 8.5". YOWZAAAAAA... hearing myself 'say' it out loud is frightening

Now, don't get me wrong guys, i actually LOVE the layered look, it was so me, but it's just the upkeep that had me screaming out loud, and finding the right stylist that'll just trim my layers as opposed to mucking it up and cutting the damn thing shorter
each time.

Now, i'm really confused

btw, if my NY gals know of anyone that they trust with trimming layers on a regular basis, i'm all ears

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Re: I\'m just going to cut it all off...

Dont cut your hair!!!
Its so long and pretty!!! You will regret after having hair above your shoulder like I did when I got my hair cut!!! If you're going to get it cut, cut it to like mid-back or something!!!

Lindy

CH!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You just CAN'T!!!

Your hair looks so pretty and full... the layers CAN'T be bothering you THAT much???!!

:::::shaking head:::::

katie

Don't do it!Your hair is soooo beautiful!
What's hard about the upkeep of the layers?

dannie

No,no,no,no. If thats the approach you want to take go ahead, I mean it is your hair after all. But consider gradually trimming off the layers again. See, once your shortest layer is long, you'll say to yourself "I wonder how long my hair would have been if I never cut off my layers".

rowandaP

Is this the same Carmelhonee, that I saw as FOM ? With the goergus hair?

If so, OH DEAR..

aqualung

I vote no cut! Your hair is just gorgeous awesome brilliant the way it is.

If you are unhappy with the short layers and you cut it drastically --> then it'll ALL BE SHORT LAYERS and you'll be less satisfied still.

If anything, take the other extreme and don't trim all summer long while those shortest layers grow.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Dont cut your hair!!!
Its so long and pretty!!! You will regret after having hair above your shoulder like I did when I got my hair cut!!! If you're going to get it cut, cut it to like mid-back or something!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sooo use to having short hair b/c i cut it every summer. My last cut was 10/01, halle berry pixie, the very same cut im trying to grow out.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
CH!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You just CAN'T!!!

Your hair looks so pretty and full... the layers CAN'T be bothering you THAT much???!!

:::::shaking head:::::

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww, so sweet but they do. They make me sick. Esp. when I try to put it in a ponytail and it's not all the same length.

Honestly tho, it's a love/hate relationship. If my hair was longer, i'd love them... since the shortest layer is at my shoulders, i hate them. Go figure.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
Don't do it!Your hair is soooo beautiful!
What's hard about the upkeep of the layers?

[/ QUOTE ]

When i first got it cut, i use to curl my hair and it was hard keeping each layered length together so i winded up learning a lot of new curse words.

Now, it's just that it doesn't grow evenly and in order to keep them up, i would need to continuously trim ALL of the layers and then start all over until it all grew the same length which feels like it'll take ages.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
dannie_19 said:
No,no,no,no. If thats the approach you want to take go ahead, I mean it is your hair after all. But consider gradually trimming off the layers again. See, once your shortest layer is long, you'll say to yourself "I wonder how long my hair would have been if I never cut off my layers".

[/ QUOTE ]

TRUE... but i feel as if that shortest layer is NEVER going to get where i want it to get :::sigh:::

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
I'm sooo use to having short hair b/c i cut it every summer. My last cut was 10/01, halle berry pixie, the very same cut im trying to grow out.

[/ QUOTE ]

If u cut it every summer, your hair grows pretty fast!
Whatever u do, dont get a Halle Berry pixie cut!

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
rowandaP said:
Is this the same Carmelhonee, that I saw as FOM ? With the goergus hair?

If so, OH DEAR..

[/ QUOTE ]

Ur too kind. Yep
One in the same...

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
I vote no cut! Your hair is just gorgeous awesome brilliant the way it is.

If you are unhappy with the short layers and you cut it drastically --> then it'll ALL BE SHORT LAYERS and you'll be less satisfied still.

If anything, take the other extreme and don't trim all summer long while those shortest layers grow.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, my shortest layer, at my shoulder, has been the same length forever and a day (i believe - i wasn't watching it per se but it doesn't look like it's grown any). That's y i was thinking about cutting it to the shortest layer so it can all grow back at the same time.

You all are definately giving me something to think about tho...

DahomeyAmazon

While you are growing out your cut, please keep the board updated.
I have layers now and whenever I cut my hair I always end up with layers again, no matter how much I trim. My hair simply does not all grow at the same rate or length. Anyway, I wish you luck CH.

CheerBear

Don't cut!!!!!!! Be patient and let it catch up more before cutting it, or try to learn how to trim it yourself but your hair is much to pretty to cut it all off!

Ayeshia

this sounds like what I did two years ago...I cut it all blunt to about 6 inches and it grew back in natural layers anyway.

On the other hand I always loved the way my ends looked after a chop. They were so blunt even and thick....and swingy

This was the exact haircut that I had minus the bangs. The ends naturally bent under for some reason i never had to curl it after it was wrapped. I loved it!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army

CH,
I do think that you should at least wait until this episode of frustration passes. You said yourself that you're confused. So do nothing for now. If when you have a moment of clarity (without the underlying frustrations and emotion) and you come to a decision to cut then go ahead. I just don't want the next CH post to be entitled "WHY DID Y'ALL LET ME CUT MY HAIR?"

So while you fully investigate NY stylists who can cut your layers as you like it, just wait.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
this sounds like what I did two years ago...I cut it all blunt to about 6 inches and it grew back in natural layers anyway.

On the other hand I always loved the way my ends looked after a chop. They were so blunt even and thick....and swingy

This was the exact haircut that I had minus the bangs. The ends naturally bent under for some reason i never had to curl it after it was wrapped. I loved it!

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW I am not condoning/encouraging you to cut your hair
You better not!

sillygurl18

I understand I have layers too and I have putting it in a ponytail. They are kind of hard to maintain.

Honi

There is no board.

That icon with the hair is mad funny!

CH, do us a favor and sleep on it a bit or somthing. Your going to drive us to start drinking

Somebody go kidnap her!

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo

CH

I am riding both sides of the fence with this dilemma of yours. I know how you feel about the layers. Had the same problem, got a great cut but after a few months my hair grew into layers and v shape AGAIN! But I loved the cut and how great my ends looked.

That was two years ago. My hair is still in natural layers and a v shape but much much longer and healthier.

One last thing..... my mom always says that when a woman wants to make changes in her life the first thing she does is cut her hair. Everyone I tell that to seems to think its true. Are you frustrated at how long its taking to grow or are you looking to make some other changes?

Whatever you decide, keep us posted!

EXSQUISIT

I hope you decide against cutting your hair because its so beautiful.

moneychaser

I recently had mine cut, unknowingly to me at the time, and I love it. My hair is sooo much thicker now.
EdT: To say your hair is already thick n' pretty so there is no reason for you to cut it. I'm jealous

Cleo

CH you know I LOVE your hair, so I really don't want you to cut it. If you decide that you absolutely have to because that will ultimately make you happy, can I have it? I can sew it on to my hair so that I can achieve some more fullness
...(just kidding)

leejure

Some hair grow in layers CH. So you may be cutting your hair in vain (btw...I haven't read the whole post yet) At any rate, I wouldn't cut it if it is not damaged. If you do decide to cut, get ready to have regrets. To this day, i can not STAND to look in the mirror at my hair day. I physically feel sick!

-lee

Tracy

My vote is no cut....I SAW your hair in person and I didn't see layer the first.

I say wait. And when you think you should cut, wait a little longer....

I bet you'll change your mind. I also "cut the layers out" and STILL ended up with layers. Don't cut.

KinksnCurlz

Okay ya'll. I decided to wait a little longer and sleep on it for a few weeks. You guys r the best. I'm feeling rather iffy lately and this definately was the 'pick me up' that i needed.