Im just trying to make sure i got this down packed

Lilmama1011

I'm going to be using a no lye Linange relaxer and after I apply it rinse it out, neutralize and then chelate. The rest I have got it down packed. Because I was wondering was neutralizing and chelating too much in the same day

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
We're supposed to chelate? I swear I've never done this in over 20 yrs of using relaxers and probably never will. I coat with EVOO, relax, neutralize, do a good protein treatment, moisturizing DC, ACV rinse and that's it before I prep my hair for styling.

Lilmama1011

PinkSunshine77 said:
We're supposed to chelate? I swear I've never done this in over 20 yrs of using relaxers and probably never will. I coat with EVOO, relax, neutralize, do a good protein treatment, moisturizing DC, ACV rinse and that's it before I prep my hair for styling.

No lye deposits mineral deposits so you have to chelate to get rid of them and chelating is also good if you have hard water because that deposits minerals too and hard to remove with just regular shampoo. I have never done it either,but researching it I found out you should

leona2025

I don't do all that. I use ors no lye and I only use the aloe shampoo that comes with it. I have never chelated.

*CherryPie*

You're not supposed to chelate right after a relaxer. Chelating is like clarifying. Chelating just goes an extra step further...it removes mineral deposits, not just buildup and chlorine etc.

You're only supposed to clarify/chelate periodically, and NEVER right after relaxing your hair. Doing that would strip everything good from the hair and possibly weaken it.

Last edited:

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
You may want to include the mid protein step before neutralizing.

My understanding is that chelating is a separate step from the relaxer process as well.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
*CherryPie* said:
You're not supposed to chelate right after a relaxer. Chelating is like clarifying. Chelating just goes an extra step further...it removes mineral deposits, not just buildup and chlorine etc.

You're only supposed to clarify/chelate periodically, and NEVER right after relaxing your hair. Doing that would strip everything good from the hair and possibly weaken it.

So chelating is clarifying? If so I do that everytime I wash. Sulfate Shampoos act as clarifying shampoos on my hair. I had no idea.

sunnieb

Hmmmm...

I clarify right after relaxing on relaxer day and weekly as well.

I did so much research before self-relaxing, so let me see if I can find something in my notes to post here.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

*CherryPie*

Why do you clarify so often? Clarifying, purposely, strips the hair to remove buildup. Why would you want to strip your hair so often?

Hmmmm...

I clarify right after relaxing on relaxer day and weekly as well.

I did so much research before self-relaxing, so let me see if I can find something in my notes to post here.

sunnieb

*CherryPie* said:
Why do you clarify so often? Clarifying, purposely, strips the hair to remove buildup. Why would you want to strip your hair so often?

My hair is naturally dry and thirsty. So I'm very heavy-handed with all of my products. This causes build up that I don't want.

I used to clarify monthly, then moved to bi-weeky, now weekly. My hair has responded well to getting rid of the build up so often.

BadMamaJama

The creamy aloe is a nuetralizing and chelating shampoo. I use Dark and Lovely but I'm ocd about getting all the relaxer out so I use my nuet shampoo that comes in the kit until it's white, then I follow up with the ORS creamy aloe and then condition. If you want to chelate, I say get the ORS and you can kill 2 birds with one stone.

sunnieb

Here's a good article from Sistaslick on clarifying. #2 is the main reason I clarify so often. Still trying to find the chelating info...

Do I Need to Use a Clarifying Shampoo?
By Audrey Davis-Sivasothy

Clarifying shampoos get a bad reputation for their tendency to dry out the hair. But really, they are just doing their job—lifting stubborn styling and finishing products from the hair! So when should you use a clarifying shampoo?

Most people can benefit from using a clarifying shampoo occasionally. Clarifying shampoos are formulated with a higher surfactant-to-water ratio to deep cleanse the hair. They are designed to lift stubborn residue, products and dirt. Because the focus is on cleaning, they often contain very few emollients and conditioning oils to balance them out. Clarifying shampoos are usually clear for this reason. Any shampoo can clarify the hair if the surfactant ratio in the formula is sufficient.

You need to use a clarifying shampoo if any of the following scenarios apply to you:

1. Your hair is really oily.

If your hair is naturally oily, then clarifying will be useful to you. It will keep your hair fresh, clean and oil-free and won't leave you feeling weighed down. Because clarifying shampoos can be drying, always follow them with a light conditioner to soften the hair.

2. You've been using lots of oils, heavy conditioners and finishing products.

Products that are not water-soluble, like heavy oils and silicone-based ingredients that are found in everyday conditioners, moisturizers, mousses, gels, serums and hairsprays, can build up on the hair and cause it to feel limp, icky and lifeless. A regular moisturizing shampoo won't be able to lift these stubborn ingredients. You'll need to use a clarifying shampoo to remedy this build-up.

3. You've been swimming.

Chlorine and salt residue from swimming in pools or hanging out at the beach can really damage your hair if they are not removed promptly. Combine them with sun, and the damage is multiplied. A clarifying shampoo will help you get your hair back to normal after chlorine exposure and will prevent unnecessary damage to the hair.

4. None of your products are working.

When silicone and oils from your hair products build up on your hair, they may cause your favorite shampoos, conditioners and other products to "stop working." Your shampoo might not lather properly, and your hair might feel weighed down after deep conditioning. The problem is simply product build-up. Whenever products you know are good just stop working, don't toss them out. Clarify your hair to remove the build-up.

5. It's been a month since you've last used a clarifying shampoo.

Clarifying your hair can be done as a monthly refresher, and it will give your hair a fresh clean slate for products each month. I've found that after about a month, my hair begins to get a coated, weighed down feeling. Clarifying at least once a month can remedy this. If you use oily or sticky products like serums, regular oils, gels and heavy pomades frequently throughout the week, then you may find that clarifying weekly is a better option. If your hair is naturally oily, then daily clarifying can be beneficial.

6. You are preparing to chemically treat the hair.

Clarifying helps color and relaxer services take better, since it frees the hair of build-up that would normally block the chemicals from penetrating the cuticle effectively. For those with mineral build-up in addition to product build-up, a chelating shampoo may be required to prepare the hair to receive an even chemical service.

Any shampoo can gently clarify the hair if the surfactant ratio in the formula is sufficient.

Sources:

Claude Bouillion & John Wilkinson, The Science of Hair Care, 2nd ed. (Taylor & Francis,1995).

sunnieb

Here's some great info from Sistaslick on the difference between clarifying and chelating:

Chelating poos are for lifting dulling, mineral deposits (and random ions) that have attached to your hair. (Mainly in hard water situations.) Some folks use them prior to a chemical service to help free up the cuticle and get "better" relaxer results. You can also use them after a relaxer (especially if your relaxer is no-lye) to help remove some of the deposits those relaxers leave behind. Some swimmer's shampoos are also chelating formulas, too. The thing with these poos is that they can dry your hair out something fierce, so I'd limit the use of these pretty much like you'd limit the use of clarifying poos.

Clarifying shampoos are mainly for lifting everday products and other buildup from the strands. Baking soda is a clarifer. Some clarifying shampoos contain chelating ingredients (ex. EDTA), but those ingredients are typically used in those other shampoo formulas as preservatives and/or pH balancers. (Look for a chelating shampoo that specifically says that it is formulated to either chelate or lift mineral deposits-- because ingredients can throw you off).

There was a thread around here with a list of chelating poos, but just of the top of my head:

Joico K-Pac Chelating Poo
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Kenra Clarifying (chelating formula and clarifier in one)
L'anza Swim & Sun Daily Chelating Shampoo