Can I use Affirm 5 in 1 before I neutralize if I'm using a no-lye...

Ladylynn

Or should I just follow the instructions on the box? I think it was sistaslick who mentioned on her site the benefits of adding the protein conditioner before neutralizing. Some relaxers like Affirm and Vitale has this step in there process. I was wondering if I could relax with a no lye, rinse well, do a protein conditioner like Affirm 5 in 1, then neutralize, then follow up with a protein conditioner like ORS replenishing pak? I believe this would be okay if I used lye even if it wasn't Affirm per se, but would this work for no-lye. I was leaning toward Optimum or ORS relaxer.

Last edited:

Candy_C

Ladylynn said:
Or should I just follow the instructions on the box? I think it was sistaslick who mentioned on her site the benefits of adding the protein conditioner before neutralizing. Some relaxers like Affirm and Vitale has this step in there process. I was wondering if I could relax with a no lye, rinse well, do a protein conditioner like Affirm 5 in 1, then neutralize, then follow up with a protein conditioner like ORS replenishing pak? I believe this would be okay if I used lye even if it wasn't Affirm per se, but would this work for no-lye. I was leaning toward Optimum or ORS relaxer.

i've never heard of using affirm b4 the neutrlizer.

i use affirm 5 in 1 every time i relax..after the neutralizer...the relaxer would still be in the hair if u dont neutralize, i dont see how this would be good, as affirm is a reconstructer (contains strong protein) and might react to the relaxer?

i dunno, but personally i wouldn't bother

Neroli

Candy_C said:

i use affirm 5 in 1 every time i relax..after the neutralizer...the relaxer would still be in the hair if u dont neutralize, i dont see how this would be good, as affirm is a reconstructer (contains strong protein) and might react to the relaxer?

Which relaxer do you use? I've been using affirm lye mild for over 4 years I do steps as follows:
1. Protecto along entire lenght of hair
2. Assurance for basing scalp and hairline
3. Relaxer creme for recommended time (I need about 20 minutes)
4. 5 in 1 reconstructor for at least 10 minutes
5. Normalizing 'poo
6. Positive Link condish
7. towel dry and style

The neutralizing 'poo is the "innovative" technique that made affirm stand out years ago -- neutralizing much more gently with a very low pH conditioner FIRST and begins neutralizing while conditioning at the same time, particularly when hair is in its most fragile state right after rinsing out the relaxer.

Check out the info on 5 in 1 at http://www.avlon.com/5in1.html states that the 5 in 1 should be applied immediately after rinsing the relaxer from the hair and before the Normalizing Shampoo.

I'm convinced this "neutralizing condish" step helps immediately strenghten my hair and prevent breakage and I will always use a low pH condish immediately after rinsing relaxer out even if I switch brands (I'm thinking of jumping on the phyto bandwagon and if I do, I will be using 5 in 1 before using the neutralizing 'poo since phyto doesn't include this step.) I figure condishing freshly relaxed hair just can't be a bad thing, considering all the protein bonds have just been broken, my hair can only benefit from this step. I always follow with a neutralizing 'poo though, but I don't have to wash like 6 or 7 times cause the condish has already neutralized my hair about 80% so I only need to wash once or twice at the most.

I'm a big fan of neutralizing 'condish . . .

NeeSee

Candy_C said:

Affirm 5 in 1 is step 2 as part of the Affirm relaxer system. It is applied directly after rinsing the creme relaxer from hair. It in itself has neutralizing properties. It partly close the cuticles and leave them somewhat open so that you can get better benefit from the conditioner. Then you rinse and apply neutralizer shampoo to close the cuticles completely, but by all means if your way works best for you keep doing it.

Ladylynn if I was you, I would stick to the instructions on the box and use 5 in 1 last just to be on the safe side.

Ladylynn

Neroli said:
Which relaxer do you use? I've been using affirm lye mild for over 4 years I do steps as follows:
5. Normalizing 'poo
6. Positive Link condish
7. towel dry and style

The neutralizing 'poo is the "innovative" technique that made affirm stand out years ago -- neutralizing much more gently with a very low pH conditioner FIRST and begins neutralizing while conditioning at the same time, particularly when hair is in its most fragile state right after rinsing out the relaxer.

Check out the info on 5 in 1 at http://www.avlon.com/5in1.html states that the 5 in 1 should be applied immediately after rinsing the relaxer from the hair and before the Normalizing Shampoo.

I'm convinced this "neutralizing condish" step helps immediately strenghten my hair and prevent breakage and I will always use a low pH condish immediately after rinsing relaxer out even if I switch brands (I'm thinking of jumping on the phyto bandwagon and if I do, I will be using 5 in 1 before using the neutralizing 'poo since phyto doesn't include this step.) I figure condishing freshly relaxed hair just can't be a bad thing, considering all the protein bonds have just been broken, my hair can only benefit from this step. I always follow with a neutralizing 'poo though, but I don't have to wash like 6 or 7 times cause the condish has already neutralized my hair about 80% so I only need to wash once or twice at the most.

Neroli, how is the Affirm working for you. I know you have 4b hair as well. Does this relaxer get your hair bone straight? Why do you want to switch relaxers? I'm having a hard time getting my hair straight with lye relaxers, but I'm still up in the air regarding my decision.

I would stick to the instructions.

I use the 5 in 1 before the normalizing shampoo, but that's because I use the whole Affirm lye- regular system.

Neroli

Ladylynn said:
Neroli, how is the Affirm working for you. I know you have 4b hair as well. Does this relaxer get your hair bone straight? Why do you want to switch relaxers? I'm having a hard time getting my hair straight with lye relaxers, but I'm still up in the air regarding my decision.

Ladylynn, I am indeed 4B and affirm lye mild gets my hair bone straight if I leave in longer than 20 minutes (I like a little body, so I relaxed to about 85% straight which takes about 20 minutes). I'm very very happy with affirm; however, I've been researching and reading about phyto for over a year now and am thinking of making the switch just to see. Couple of reasons I haven't tried it yet is:
-I still have a HUGE tub of affirm to use up
-phyto is soooooo expensive
-phyto doesn't have that critical "neutralizing conditioning" step that I really like.

I'm continuing my research while I use up my affirm, but based on everything I've read, it should not cause a problem if I insert the "neutralizing condish" step with phyto. I'm gonna at least TRY it once 'cause I'm convinced that it is extremely beneficial to my hair. BTW, phyto is supposedly no lye, but I think the neutralizing condish works on both lye and no-lye because in each case, the hair needs to be neutralized by lowing the pH and a well-formulated low pH condish will do the same thing as a well formulated low pH 'poo. This is strictly my personal opinion though . . .

If I'm not mistaken, affirm's no lye sensitve scalp relaxer also uses 5 in 1 immediately after rinsing out the relaxer creme and before using the neutralizing 'poo . . .

Candy_C

Neroli said:
5. Normalizing 'poo
6. Positive Link condish
7. towel dry and style

i use Elasta QP.

I wil lsee what my stylist does, all i kno is that she rinses it weel with sumthin, then affirm 5 in 1 goes on. she loves my hair more then me so i guess she does it how she sees best, but i'l lcheck, she cud neutralize after the affirm. :cool:

cocowhite

I use Vitale w/ aloe and after rinsing I use positive conditioner to bring down the ph levels, leave on for 5 minutes, rinse, neutralizing shampoo leave on for 5 minutes, shampoo twice, then use my regular shampoo and deep condition at this point after 45-1 hour, rinse and let air dry. Hair always comes out nice.