I'm scared, is it really true?

Porsche19

I was reading about someone who wrote a hair book the other day. I think tha it was Shamboosie.

Anyways, someone said that the author said that air drying is bad. It's supposedly bad because when it dries, the cuticles are roughed up.

Someone somewhat agreed with the author, but said that airdrying in something like a rollerset/twistout/bantu knot set/ponytail method is ok. Basically, anything except letting your hair airdry on it's own will let your cuticles lay down. If I remember right because the set will make your hair's cuticles lay down in the right way because of the tension.

I just did my first wash and go and I love how it came out. It looks so much more natural than a twist out, and takes a lot less manipulation. I didn't even need a comb. It could become a rgular thing for me.

The raised cuticles doesn't make sense to me. Why would airdying lead to raised hair cuticles? Air doesn't make them raise.

Can anyone shed some lighton this one for me?

NAY007

Airdrying is the best thing you can do. The only thing you have to do is finding the best way for your hair to air dry it.

For example I can't just let my damp hair hang down my back and let it airdry like that. Because when it's all dry I would have to wet it again so I can comb it or do something with it.

So the best thing for my hair is to put it in a braid when it's damp and let it dry like that.

Nobody will ever convince me that air drying is bad.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I've always gotten better results airdrying. My texture would be smoother, tension or not. I have only heavily blowdried for a 2-3 month period... (heavily..once per week-10 days) and I paid dearly in damage. Even after one use I can tell a difference in texture. Lorraine Massey, author of Curly Girl says not to blow dry but to instead airdry or use a difusser too.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
For me I need to put some kind of tension in my hair or else my hair gets a bit tangly. Either I roll it up or knot it up. Then I just airdry it that way. Personally I though cuticles would close due to cold temperature. Sort of when you do a hot oil treatment, the heat opens up the cuticles and the rinsing with cold water would close them. Just my observation.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
To some extent I think it's true. I never airdried my hair before I found this forum and my hair was still nice and healthy.

I find that airdrying in rollers is the best way to airdry. Any other way for me does make my hair feel dry and brittle.

Mestiza

I airdry my hair in a bun, ponytail or hanging straight down my back and it looks and feels so much better, smoother, and healthier than it has when I have used heat.

WesternEyes

I've never done anything else but airdry my hair. To me it's the natural thing to do, a wash n go. The only way that I can think that air drying would be bad is if you were to take your towel and dry your hair roughly.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

I'm a faithful airdryer. I've never had a problem. I comb my hair back and just let it go for its own. Its always soft never dry or brittle. Its always moisturized. I do put my leave in condt's in while my hair is wet though.

Sweet_Ambrosia

It may be somewhat true because airdrying doesnt work for all,but if airdrying works for you Porshe keep doing it!

I never had a problem with airdrying, so i will continue to use this method my hair loves it! :)

Mestiza

WesternEyes said:
I've never done anything else but airdry my hair. To me it's the natural thing to do, a wash n go. The only way that I can think that air drying would be bad is if you were to take your towel and dry your hair roughly.

Excellent point! I see how that could disturb the hair cuticle.

How long does it take you ladies hair to air dry? I ask because the other night I shampooed(?) my hair and sat beneath the hair dryer for an hour but my braids were still a little damp in the morning. It seems to me air drying is the fastest way to catch a cold. During the winter anyway, IMO.

tryn2growmyhair

brownhaired_bonanza said:
How long does it take you ladies hair to air dry? I ask because the other night I shampooed(?) my hair and sat beneath the hair dryer for an hour but my braids were still a little damp in the morning. It seems to me air drying is the fastest way to catch a cold. During the winter anyway, IMO.
Find a fashionable cap, I use a black beret, and sew in a silk lining into it. I use that everytime I leave the house. You will not have a problem with catching a cold.

I dont understand why so many AA women go out into the cold with out hats on. I know that they are trying preserve their hairstyles but that cold is actually destroying their hair! Even women who do not airdry should wear a hat -- as long as its lined with silk.

Also, I think I am going to stick with airdrying. Yes the cuticle is roughed up but I don't think my hair reacts well to rollersetting. Even if I am just rollersetting while I airdry. I am afraid I will lose too much hair rollersetting. Maybe one of these days I will try it again but I doubt it.

BLESSED1

ITA tryn it's important to have your hair covered somehow if you washed that morning and are going out into cold air. For the record I haven't gotten sick at all yet this winter so far (knock on wood) despite washing and airdrying every morning, but if I don't have the hood of my coat on my head I surely have my silk scarf on, sometimes both ;) And yes using cool/cold water as a final rinse when washing will close the hair cuticle, I've read that in a few hair books and that's what I do. I can tell the difference in my hair when I rinse with hot water than when I rinse with cool/lukewarm water, I can't use cold water though!

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
Airdrying works for me too, but I find that my hair is smoother and straighter when I dry it in twists or a big braid etc compared to drying it hanging down.

MizAvalon

brownhaired_bonanza said:

How can you catch a cold from that? I thought people caught colds from germs.

It takes a few hours for my hair to air dry.