I'm sick of twists and twist-outs

Kikootie

I've been transitioning for 2 plus years. For the last few months I have been wearing nothing but twists and twist-outs. Why? Because my hair is too thick for buns and ponytails at this point. When I wear it in a bun I get these 2 humps on the top of my head like the alien on American Dad. I need tips on styles that are protective yet professional. I am in desparate need of help.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 168
How about shingling?

Or a single french braid down the middle?

Cornrows?

Pony puff...but wear a fake puff so your hair is protected?

Weave?

Nonie said:
How about shingling?

Or a single french braid down the middle?

Cornrows?

Pony puff...but wear a fake puff so your hair is protected?

Weave?

Thanks for your input. The only thing is I don't know how to french braid well or do cornrows. I will consider a weave.

www.sensationnel.com

www.outrehair.com

www.snghair.com

www.ebonyline.com

www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com

^^^ get a few quick weaves... that way you can smooth your NG out with conditioner, serum, and a cute headband and have a style in minutes.

also, there are a lot of more natural looking afro puff ponytails, too.

Weaves are nice...but I prefer them in the winter instead of the summer.

The thing I like about quickweaves...is...if you're getting too hot under there...you can pop it off.

I heard from....a friend....:look:....that it feels SOOOO GOOOD to take your quick weave off in a parking structure and blast the A/C right on your head when it's 90 degrees and humid outside.

Kikootie said:
Thanks for your input. The only thing is I don't know how to french braid well or do cornrows. I will consider a weave.

I don't know if this would be considered "professional" but when I was growing up, there was a type of braiding where you made a square plait/braid and then behind it, you'd make another and include the "tail" of the first on in the braid. That meant either making a part in the middle and letting the tail lie there and plaiting over it. Or you could partly undo the first braid and include it in the braiding of the second. The end result would look like a continuous cornrow...although the partings might still be seen. You don't have to do just one row, you could part your hair into any number of rows and then do the square plaits along each row...so each "tail" is tucked into the other. If you did one row...along where a French braid might be, it might look cute. Maybe you could add accessories too. *shrug*

Why not just cut off the relaxed hair? I mean 2 years of hair should be enough to get into a bun on it's own. The trick with natural hair is either to blow dry it to get it stretched enough to reach the hair bobble or pull it back when it's wet and let it dry that way. Baring that have you tried pulling the twists into a bun???

dimpalz said:
Why not just cut off the relaxed hair? I mean 2 years of hair should be enough to get into a bun on it's own. The trick with natural hair is either to blow dry it to get it stretched enough to reach the hair bobble or pull it back when it's wet and let it dry that way. Baring that have you tried pulling the twists into a bun???

I'm trying to stay away from heat. As far as the bun goes, no matter how much product I use in my natural state, I still get puffy hair. Did you see the alien picture? I'm not joking. I get plenty of waves, but the humps have to go.

I would try a flexirod set. You can use serum on wet hair and roll the hair onto rods. This should smooth out the hair and give you a full curly style:look:

I have heard of many folks that transition using this style.

Suerte said:
www.sensationnel.com

www.outrehair.com

www.snghair.com

www.ebonyline.com

www.goldenmartbeautysupply.com

^^^ get a few quick weaves... that way you can smooth your NG out with conditioner, serum, and a cute headband and have a style in minutes.

also, there are a lot of more natural looking afro puff ponytails, too.

Weaves are nice...but I prefer them in the winter instead of the summer.

The thing I like about quickweaves...is...if you're getting too hot under there...you can pop it off.

I heard from....a friend....:look:....that it feels SOOOO GOOOD to take your quick weave off in a parking structure and blast the A/C right on your head when it's 90 degrees and humid outside.

A quick weave might just be the ticket. Then I can still use the baggey method. How do you do your wash and goes??

Nonie said:
How about shingling?
quote]

thanks so much for that shingling tutorial... I am so gonna try that, just need to get some Miss Jessie's. Wonder if it would work with any other conditioner :think:

dimpalz said:

Hmm... really Dimpalz? I might have to try that. My pony looks like a darn golf ball when my hair is wet. That's all thats up there to attach my phony too. I'm gonna see if I can get it in a pony puff dry...

Im not sure your hair length...but I would suggest that if you have been transitioning for two years...then maybe its time for that big chop which will give you waaay more options...

Second, when I was transitioning.....my ponytails/buns were definitely alien-llike until I discovered the wonder that is the DENMAN BRUSH....it will get through those naps with the quickness....I didnt think I had felt anything touch my scalp in months until I got that brush.

So those are my suggestions...maybe also get your hair pressed and wear it straight for 2-3 weeks...Im natural and I did that and it really made me feel like I had options and appreciate the versatility of my hair....

Hope you find a solution :)

I'm not a brush advocate but, have you ever tried to use the Denman brush? I use it when I want my hair to lay flat so that I can put it in a nice puff, etc. I don't use it everyday, but I only need to use it once a week and then at night I use my scarf which keeps my hair flat for the rest of the week.

HTH

brownsugarflyygirl said:
Im not sure your hair length...but I would suggest that if you have been transitioning for two years...then maybe its time for that big chop which will give you waaay more options...

Second, when I was transitioning.....my ponytails/buns were definitely alien-llike until I discovered the wonder that is the DENMAN BRUSH....it will get through those naps with the quickness....I didnt think I had felt anything touch my scalp in months until I got that brush.

So those are my suggestions...maybe also get your hair pressed and wear it straight for 2-3 weeks...Im natural and I did that and it really made me feel like I had options and appreciate the versatility of my hair....

Hope you find a solution :)

That's so funny because I was writing about the Denman brush as you were writing your post too!!!:grin:

trimbride said:
I would try a flexirod set. You can use serum on wet hair and roll the hair onto rods. This should smooth out the hair and give you a full curly style:look:

I have heard of many folks that transition using this style.

This is what I was going to suggest too.

Two other tricks. You could try drying your DAMP hair in bantu knots. If you twist it tight enough, you will reduce the volume of your hair. A stylist did that to mine last week and it was great. I have a lot of hair and she made the volume go down by half. You could also try banding. Some people have gotten a blow-dry look without using a blowdryer.

Ummm... I used to be a big supporter of the denman, until I realized it was breaking off a lot of my hair. Be careful when you use it. It is a GREAT tool, but it can do a lot of damage as well.

Last edited:
Kikootie said:
I've been transitioning for 2 plus years. For the last few months I have been wearing nothing but twists and twist-outs. Why? Because my hair is too thick for buns and ponytails at this point. When I wear it in a bun I get these 2 humps on the top of my head like the alien on American Dad. I need tips on styles that are protective yet professional. I am in desparate need of help.

I use to have the same problem w/the humps. But I checked out sylver2's fotki and she has a great tutorial on flattening new growth. I figured if it works for her new growth it should work ok on my natural hair. It def. made a big difference. The scarf method works!

Here is a link:
http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/6-month-post-pics/22wk.html

Kikootie said:
A quick weave might just be the ticket. Then I can still use the baggey method. How do you do your wash and goes??

I usually co-wash and apply Sunsilk De-Frizz cream while I'm still in the shower and then spray some kinda serum onto it to make it really shiny. Then I kinda shake it to get most of the moisture out.

I spray it with hairspray if I'm gonna be outside and really active. That keeps it from swelling up too much.

natstar said:
I use to have the same problem w/the humps. But I checked out sylver2's fotki and she has a great tutorial on flattening new growth. I figured if it works for her new growth it should work ok on my natural hair. It def. made a big difference. The scarf method works!

Here is a link:
http://public.fotki.com/sylver2/6-month-post-pics/22wk.html

I used to use the scarf method but it does not work anymore. That's when I get the humps. I'm considering the Denman brush.

Back