I'm so confused, help! (really long)

Re: I\'m so confused, help! (really long)

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
why is that even when we get grown noone can comfort us like or mothers? they always have the right words....

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT IS SOOOO TRUE!!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

anyway, yes the glycerine....
Lindy have you stopped using it for any amount of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weeelll, kind of... I ONLY use it when doing twistouts, and I don't faithfully do twistouts every other week... sometimes I'll just airdry in a ponytail or loose... so I'm only using the activator say 6 days out of a month, and sometimes not even that often... But during the summer, I use it WAAAAY more often, cuz I do more twist-outs...
scratchchin.gif
This whole glycerin issue has got me intrigued now!!!
look.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
why is that even when we get grown noone can comfort us like or mothers? they always have the right words....

[/ QUOTE ]

THAT IS SOOOO TRUE!!!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

anyway, yes the glycerine....
Lindy have you stopped using it for any amount of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Weeelll, kind of... I ONLY use it when doing twistouts, and I don't faithfully do twistouts every other week... sometimes I'll just airdry in a ponytail or loose... so I'm only using the activator say 6 days out of a month, and sometimes not even that often... But during the summer, I use it WAAAAY more often, cuz I do more twist-outs...
scratchchin.gif
This whole glycerin issue has got me intrigued now!!!
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ] yeah its kinda freaky...i already knew this about glycerine , but she and her hair loved it , so i let her use it....daily.
but i started a thread about it , we will see what others have to say.

Irresistible,
I am no doctor but it sounds like excema.

Last year I developed a dry patch of excema on my tummy. I had the same exact symptoms. It was not flaky but it felt like raised rough skin. It was also red in color. At first the patch was very tiny and I thought it was some kind of allergic reaction so I treated it with a little rubbing alcohol. Next thing I know the excema patch started to spread over the next couple of weeks into a large patch that was about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. I went to the doctor and she looked at it through a magnifying mirror & she told me that I had excema. She said that under a magnifying glass excema should look like dry, raised, and irritated hair follicles. She prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and told me to buy unscented Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Cetaphil is very thick and it is glycerin based. She told me to apply it to the area twice a day. She also told me to stay away from harsh cleansers, hot water, fragrances, and oil based moisturizers. She said that I should use sls free cleansers for my skin.

She also said that doctors have no idea what causes excema. She said that 9 times out of 10 excema is triggered by skin being in an extremely dry environment.

What kind of shampoo does your daughter use?

[ QUOTE ]
AFashionSlave said:
Irresistible,
I am no doctor but it sounds like excema.

Last year I developed a dry patch of excema on my tummy. I had the same exact symptoms. It was not flaky but it felt like raised rough skin. It was also red in color. At first the patch was very tiny and I thought it was some kind of allergic reaction so I treated it with a little rubbing alcohol. Next thing I know the excema patch started to spread over the next couple of weeks into a large patch that was about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. I went to the doctor and she looked at it through a magnifying mirror & she told me that I had excema. She said that under a magnifying glass excema should look like dry, raised, and irritated hair follicles. She prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and told me to buy unscented Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream. Cetaphil is very thick and it is glycerin based. She told me to apply it to the area twice a day. She also told me to stay away from harsh cleansers, hot water, fragrances, and oil based moisturizers. She said that I should use sls free cleansers for my skin.

She also said that doctors have no idea what causes excema. She said that 9 times out of 10 excema is triggered by skin being in an extremely dry environment.

What kind of shampoo does your daughter use?

[/ QUOTE ] wow so what is the ideal environment for her scalp...

see now that im putting two and two together, i think she might of had this for a while, very very mild, because ive always seen flakes here and there and a bump here and there and she has been "itchy" before. I guess i was keeping it under control , and didnt know it, and now that she has been doing her hair every day now it flared after some time (im only guessing) funny though that the med you got perscribed is glycerine based and now that i had her stop using glycerine problems appear, plus like i said i found out she wasnt putting any moisture on her scalp.

ive never seen the "gunk" i saw on her scalp before, or felt the hard , thickened skin before till now, this is why ive been freakin out..but i agree, ive done alot of reading on it since this morning , and it does sound like exzema. i rarely use shampoo on her hair, when i do its the same one we used for years, motions. i havent used anything new except the oils and butters, but by her own admission she wasnt putting it on her scalp. i was thinking if she is used to moisture on her scalp for years while i was doing it...after some time of her using no moisture on her scalp, the problem with her scalp just finally became aggravated????

It sounds like eczema, go see a dermatologist. Your description sounds like the exact same thing I have, and that was the diagnosis. Check her skin also to see if you see the dry scaly patches. I got something from a doc once about it, I'll see if I can find it and if you're interested pm me and I will fax it to you

[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
It sounds like eczema, go see a dermatologist. Your description sounds like the exact same thing I have, and that was the diagnosis. Check her skin also to see if you see the dry scaly patches. I got something from a doc once about it, I'll see if I can find it and if you're interested pm me and I will fax it to you

[/ QUOTE ] i really think thats what it is now that ive read up on it. i feel better about knowing actually, and i really really believe thats what it is cause it fits the description to the T. i also have a friend that has it and i finally tracked her down and talked to her , she has it on her scalp also, so im on the right track i think. im still takin her to the doc though. just to cover all bases. but its already clearing up. but my friend said the doc will still be able to see it and know. i dont have access to a fax, well i do but it would take forever to get it (long story) but i got alot of info online. she had what i described as scales..but it was like "gunk" too..i dont know how to describe it. but its only in a patch , so im sure thats what it is

You should take her to the dermatologist. It could be eczema. My sister and I have just a few spots in our scalp but they are not bumpy or scaly and dont give us any problems anymore...our scalp might normally itch but nothing drastic. We just keep moisturizing our hair but your daughter might need a prescription.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
You should take her to the dermatologist. It could be eczema. My sister and I have just a few spots in our scalp but they are not bumpy or scaly and dont give us any problems anymore...our scalp might normally itch but nothing drastic. We just keep moisturizing our hair but your daughter might need a prescription.

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah im taking her, but thats what im saying she stopped (unbeknownst to me) putting ANY moisture on her scalp...so i think thats why im seeing the problem now. its just about cleared just from me putting lots of moisture on it since i found it

I think you shouldn't apply anything else until you rule out any medical reason for the condition. Good Luck...please let us know what happens...
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
isnt there anybody with scalp exzema on the board?
perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey I'm new to the board and everything...but I thought I would just tell you my story really quickly(I'm not trying to freak you out further)but...
I've had SEVERE eczema since I was 4(My mother has had it since 16...it came on her all of a sudden),and the disease did(does) include my scalp.My hair has fallen out 3 times from it. The first time I was 4 and I don't remember much other than it came back to it's strong,thick,self in no time,and all my mom did was oil(Dax) and braid my hair every night and use a medicated shampoo(I'll ask my mother what the name of it was so that I can tell you).In fact that's what I had to do all 3 times.For me,it starts of with itchy scalp,then bumpy skin,then flaking,sores,and scabs.(sorry to be so graphic:()Then it starts to thin and eventually the bald patches appear.I'm saying all of this to tell you that every SINGLE time my hair came out it was a combination of a high stress level,one wrong product(the latter two episodes),and of course my eczema. Is your daughter really stressed? Even though I've read that petroleum is horrible for the skin and hair,Vaseline was a main factor in contolling my itching and getting my hair back the second time.And vaseline is THE ONLY thing my mother can use on her skin(her eczema is worse than mine).If the doctor does tell you that its eczema,watch every single thing you put on her hair,because anything can trigger my scalp problem. Now if she does have eczema,do know that it can clear(mine disapeared the 4 years I was in high school and came back this year)just don't assume that when it clears you can go back to using just anything.That being said I will look for that shampoo and will be praying for your situation.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
Does it look like the pics in this link-
http://www.superlanolin.com/psoriasis/psoriasis.html
I did a search on the symptoms you described and it turned up with psoriasis..
Oh, I'm no promoting the product, they just had the better pics.

[/ QUOTE ]no it doesnt look like that, it fits the description of Excema to the T

[ QUOTE ]
Tracy said:
I think you shouldn't apply anything else until you rule out any medical reason for the condition. Good Luck...please let us know what happens...
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] That advice make total sense, but im thankfull for that mother "instinct" cause ive got it almost gone already, with the things i did do. i inspected her scalp thoroughly last night and will again this morning...im seeing mass improvement..i really think "in her case" it was a lack of moisture that aggravated a condition she probably has had for a long time, but how i took care of it kept it under wraps without my knowing.

[ QUOTE ]
bocagirl said:
Have him check her skin also

[/ QUOTE ]
she doenst have anything like i saw on her scalp anywhere else.

You know, after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder does your daughter have seborrhea. I know someone who has it and it looks like what you have described. And if this is true, the more oil you add to your daughter's head the worse you are going to make the condition. My friend with this disorder controls it by using Tea tree, Zinc, or Tar shampoos. She washes frequently and has to use different, non-oily conditioners on her hair.

Maybe you should look into it possibly being the onset of this disorder. It's caused by too much moisture/oil production. One other thing I would notice about my friend, when she'd scratch up the thick skin spots, it was a funny reddish pink color and it looked slightly "moist"...almost like new skin under the thick skin.

I'm not sure, but it's worth looking in to. Many people have this skin disorder and call it " bad dandruff"...it's not though.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Nikki319 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
isnt there anybody with scalp exzema on the board?
perplexed.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey I'm new to the board and everything...but I thought I would just tell you my story really quickly(I'm not trying to freak you out further)but...
I've had SEVERE eczema since I was 4(My mother has had it since 16...it came on her all of a sudden),and the disease did(does) include my scalp.My hair has fallen out 3 times from it. The first time I was 4 and I don't remember much other than it came back to it's strong,thick,self in no time,and all my mom did was oil(Dax) and braid my hair every night and use a medicated shampoo(I'll ask my mother what the name of it was so that I can tell you).In fact that's what I had to do all 3 times.For me,it starts of with itchy scalp,then bumpy skin,then flaking,sores,and scabs.(sorry to be so graphic:()Then it starts to thin and eventually the bald patches appear.I'm saying all of this to tell you that every SINGLE time my hair came out it was a combination of a high stress level,one wrong product(the latter two episodes),and of course my eczema. Is your daughter really stressed? Even though I've read that petroleum is horrible for the skin and hair,Vaseline was a main factor in contolling my itching and getting my hair back the second time.And vaseline is THE ONLY thing my mother can use on her skin(her eczema is worse than mine).If the doctor does tell you that its eczema,watch every single thing you put on her hair,because anything can trigger my scalp problem. Now if she does have eczema,do know that it can clear(mine disapeared the 4 years I was in high school and came back this year)just don't assume that when it clears you can go back to using just anything.That being said I will look for that shampoo and will be praying for your situation.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Thank you for the information,

you didnt freak me out, as soon as i felt the "thick skin" i knew it could lead to hair loss, after freaking out, i got informed, came here posted and read tons online. the things that i realized is that this is a condition i believe she has had a long time now, by putting two and two together. she just recently started doing her own her except for washings , she is almost 15 now. and little did i know while she was doing her hair she was adding NO moisture to her scalp. i was mixing her up all kinds of natural oils and butters and providing her the leave in, and she was only putting it on her hair , after years of me taking care of her hair AND scalp, her scalp was not used to that kind of dry environment. I realize im in for a bumpy ride and i will not have the luxury i wish i had of leaving her at 15 mostly on her own to do her hair, ..its something im gonna have to watch and stay on top of her about and help her with constantly. I know in no time at all she will slack on the moisture again...so im gonna have to invest considerable time into either making sure she is doing it or doing it myself. i know that this can go away "THANK GOD" and i know it can come back and get aggravated.

I do believe my daughter is stressed too..brought on by her!! I am always trying to talk her out of stressing herself the way she does...but i swear these teachers act like these kids are in college or something, Piling em up with work , like they can stay up all night and do it. she happened to have two major products due this week, and even with all my help, they were so major , she is still somewhat behind. Ive been so mad at the teacher that did this myself. but im always working with her on the "you can only do what you can do " mentality. she is coming along...

anyway, whatever aggravated it, ive got it mostly under control and contrary to much advice on here, im goin with my mother "instinct" and have plans to work on it more this weekend, since i cant get her into the doctor till the week after next, im not gonna just leave it to get worse again...seems excema, or scalp problems are not a priority at the doctor's office...there is no bacterial infection or her scalp , that much i do know. I got some good advice from others like you who have it first hand as well, im thankfull for all that took the time to respond with advice. I had to, like with anything else ,take what i could use and then go with my gutt feeling. many mothers know that "gutt feeling" has been what has saved their child time and time again in many situations. Thank you everyone!! and Thank God her scalp has already improved greatly!!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
cybra said:
You know, after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder does your daughter have seborrhea. I know someone who has it and it looks like what you have described. And if this is true, the more oil you add to your daughter's head the worse you are going to make the condition. My friend with this disorder controls it by using Tea tree, Zinc, or Tar shampoos. She washes frequently and has to use different, non-oily conditioners on her hair.

Maybe you should look into it possibly being the onset of this disorder. It's caused by too much moisture/oil production. One other thing I would notice about my friend, when she'd scratch up the thick skin spots, it was a funny reddish pink color and it looked slightly "moist"...almost like new skin under the thick skin.

I'm not sure, but it's worth looking in to. Many people have this skin disorder and call it " bad dandruff"...it's not though.
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] the only way it could possibly be that condition, is if that condition involves , bumps , scales,and thickening skin , which fits the exzema description and it just suddenly developed , because when i put two and two together , she has always had the "itchies" here and there and a bump here and there, but oil and moisture i always added while managing her hair and scalp, always kept it under control, it was in a totally dry environment over time , with no oils or moisture (because she wasnt adding them) that the condition arised or as i believe, got aggravated.

Ahhhh, I see. Well, I'll keep you both in prayer. I know as a mom with two daughters when they were growing up I was so protective of their hair because both had long hair and the oldest's was very thick...and I wanted it to stay that way. So, I have an idea what you must be feeling. I love that you are trusting God...which is sometimes the last thing we usually think when things go wrong. Good for you! Keep praying and have faith!

[ QUOTE ]
cybra said:
Ahhhh, I see. Well, I'll keep you both in prayer. I know as a mom with two daughters when they were growing up I was so protective of their hair because both had long hair and the oldest's was very thick...and I wanted it to stay that way. So, I have an idea what you must be feeling. I love that you are trusting God...which is sometimes the last thing we usually think when things go wrong. Good for you! Keep praying and have faith!

[/ QUOTE ] Girl yes!!! he somehow gives me that inner instinct and leads me in the right direction , and i trust that and am so thankfull for it!!! thank you Cybra!!!

Back