I'm so OVER this flat-ironed hair....Now What??

bride91501

So I've been anxiously waiting for Christmas to get here so I could do my first flat iron job on my 7 months post BC hair. Thanks to all my LHCF research and advice, I guess it was a success...maybe too much of one. My coarse 4b hair came out REALLY straight, straighter than when I was relaxed even, and too straight for my liking. I realized today that I am definitely not a straight hair girl. I want my kinks back, STAT!

Are there any particular treatments I should do to get back to my kinks? Another PT (I did one 2 days ago), an extra-intense DC, or something else? I know I need to do a clarifying poo b/c of all the cones in the heat protectants I used (even though I just did one of those 2 days ago too :perplexed), but beyond that I'm at a loss.

Any and all advice is appreciated :grin:

Attachments

• Dec 24 2010 flat iron.jpg
    Dec 24 2010 flat iron.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Dec 24 2010 flat iron ponytail.jpg
    Dec 24 2010 flat iron ponytail.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
A CW or anything that caused water 2 b n use should cause reversion:yep:. I wouldn't shampoo so soon again unless u're hair tolerates that sort of thing well. HTH

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Long Hair Care Forum App

A CW or anything that caused water 2 b n use should cause reversion:yep:. I wouldn't shampoo so soon again unless u're hair tolerates that sort of thing well. HTH

If she used cones she will need to shampoo them off otherwise any treatment she tries to do will go to waste as it will just sit on her hair.

OP you sound like me after I straighten my hair. I enjoy the quickness of stying/combing through straight hair but that's about it. I get bored so fast and start to miss my kinks too. Which is why I love having that I can change it back as soon as I'm done. I usually just shampoo and condition like a regular wash and my hair reverts nicely

I'm sorry I wasn't clear in my question :drunk: I know that water will of course cause my hair to revert :grin:....I'm just wondering the best way to get my hair back to a more balanced state b/c I'm worried about drying my hair out with another clarifying poo. I don't use alot of cone-based products in my hair, so I don't poo alot.

Maybe I could CW tonight, and then do a clarifying poo at the end of the week? Or will all the cones from the heat protectants affect my moisture retention during the week?

Op, why do you feel the need to clarify again? A simple cowash or shampoo and good conditioning should do the trick.since you just clarified and did a protein treatment I dont think you need to do them so soon...

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I know for me when I straighten the serum I use needs to be removed with a clarifying shampoo. No matter if I just did a clarifying shampoo. Those serums really block moisture from getting in so any products I use without clarifying first just sit on my hair and make my hair feel nasty.

I would recommend clarifying then following that up with a moisturizing rinse out conditioner that should restore your hair back to it's pre-straightened state.

Why must you use a clarifying shampoo? I use shampoo all the time but NEVER do I use a clarifying shampoos. After my last press I used Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, after having used a silicone product for my press and 446 degrees F heat on my flatirion, and my hair reverted w/o problems.

Photo of my hair's reaction the minute I applied shampoo--shrinkage taking place:
ShampooingPressedHair-vi.jpg

I could've used any other shampoo but I chose that one because I believe it strengthens hair and wanted to impart some strength after the heat my hair had endured.

Why must you use a clarifying shampoo? I use shampoo all the time but NEVER do I use a clarifying shampoos. After my last press I used Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, after having used a silicone product for my press and 446 degrees F heat on my flatirion, and my hair reverted w/o problems.

The clarifying poo is not for the sake of reversion. I use it because the serum I use doesn't come off my hair unless I use a clarifier. Some products do come off with just a regular shampoo. What I use doesn't come off that easy.

The clarifying poo is not for the sake of reversion. I use it because the serum I use doesn't come off my hair unless I use a clarifier. Some products do come off with just a regular shampoo. What I use doesn't come off that easy.

What serum do you use?

I used two heat protectants by John Frieda back to back during my press, coating my hair so well that it didn't revert at all that week even though I take showers and the bathroom is usually filled with steam when I do, so the cone protection was really good. But simple basic shampoo has always been sufficient to remove cones in my case. I have never owned a clarifying shampoo.

ETA: Wait, I tell a lie. Giovanni Balanced 50:50 does call itself a "clarifying shampoo" but IMO it's one of the gentlest shampoos I own.

Last edited:
What serum do you use?

I used two heat protectants by John Frieda back to back during my press, coating my hair so well that it didn't revert at all that week even though I take showers and the bathroom is usually filled with steam when I do, so the cone protection was really good. But simple basic shampoo has always been sufficient to remove cones in my case. I have never owned a clarifying shampoo.

ETA: Wait, I tell a lie. Giovanni Balanced 50:50 does call itself a "clarifying shampoo" but IMO it's one of the gentlest shampoos I own.

I use IC Fantasia Hair Straightening Serum. It doesn't come off with just a regular shampoo.

:lol: see Nonie you do use a clarifier. Serums can be hard to remove though. For some products the clarifier is necessary. For others not so much.

Op, do you have any pics? :lick: :lick: I bet it looks great!!
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I wouldn't say "great", but I was a little proud of the job I did, considering it was my first time lol. I've edited the original post with photos.

Op, why do you feel the need to clarify again? A simple cowash or shampoo and good conditioning should do the trick.since you just clarified and did a protein treatment I dont think you need to do them so soon...

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

From what I've researched, the only way to rid hair of the cones in the heat protectants is with a clarifying poo. Considering I've struggled with moisture retention this winter, I don't want to suffer a setback caused by dry hair, caused by cone build-up.

I just HATE clarifying poos, because they also can be so drying. Maybe I can pre-poo overnight to help....

Photo of my hair's reaction the minute I applied shampoo--shrinkage taking place:

I could've used any other shampoo but I chose that one because I believe it strengthens hair and wanted to impart some strength after the heat my hair had endured.

How are you able to use that high of a heat? Do you only do one pass? What kinda of flat iron do you use?

I use IC Fantasia Hair Straightening Serum. It doesn't come off with just a regular shampoo.

:lol: see Nonie you do use a clarifier. Serums can be hard to remove though. For some products the clarifier is necessary. For others not so much.

But I didn't use my clarifying shampoo 50:50 in this case. I honestly think any shampoo with SLS can take that serum off. If clarifying shampoo are drying, then I think people should refrain from using them.

From what I've researched, the only way to rid hair of the cones in the heat protectants is with a clarifying poo. Considering I've struggled with moisture retention this winter, I don't want to suffer a setback caused by dry hair, caused by cone build-up.

I just HATE clarifying poos, because they also can be so drying. Maybe I can pre-poo overnight to help....

A clarifying poo that I like is Nexxus Aloe Rid. It's gentle and doesn't dry my hair out but it gets the job done. Sometimes I have to do two washes to get all the gunk out but it never leaves my hair dry and tangly. And I always follow my clarifying poo with a moisturizing conditioner.

Last edited:
But I didn't use my clarifying shampoo 50:50 in this case. I honestly think any shampoo with SLS can take that serum off. If clarifying shampoo are drying, then I think people should refrain from using them.

You have to do what works for you. I use Nexxus Aloe Rid and it is a gently clarifier that doesn't leave my hair dry and tangly but it gets the job done. Plus, I always follow it up with a moisturizing condish.

Last edited:
How are you able to use that high of a heat? Do you only do one pass? What kinda of flat iron do you use?

I do two passes. I use Babyliss Pro Ceramic. I first spray my hair well, a narrow section at a time to saturation with John Frieda Heat Defeat Spray. And after running the iron through all my hair section by section (I'm anal about coating every inch of my hair with the spray and I believe in wet-to-dry press, only I used a wet protectant these days instead of water, hence the spray). I then go over my hair this time applying John Frieda Thermal Protection Serum, again coating my hair meticulously small section at a time and pass the iron one more time.

The thing that really sold me on protectants--this was my first time using them--is how there was no smell of burning hair during or after the press or during the wash. That was a first for me, otherwise I've always used the same amount of heat for all my presses.

My hair before the press:
rabouttorinsebeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

My hair after airdrying in Curlformers:
ormersstretchbeforeflatironing-vi.jpg

My hair after the WTD press with the Heat Defeat Spray carefully sprayed to coat hair:
aHeatDefeatandpressingwettodry-vi.jpg

My hair after the second and final press with Thermal Protection Serum meticulously applied:
flatironthroughhaironemoretime-vi.jpg

My hair before my wash:
ReadytoWashDo-vi.jpg

My hair after the wash:
IMG00905-vi.jpg

Last edited:
You have to do what works for you. I use Nexxus Aloe Rid and it is a gently clarifier that doesn't leave my hair dry and tangly but it gets the job done. Plus, I always follow it up with a moisturizing condish.

True, one does what works for one. But I think some people jump to what might be harsh shampoos because they believe that's necessary. Hence my stating I never use a clarifyer to remove cones--in case that info could help someone who hates the drying effects of one. OP seems uneasy about using one too often so I just wanted to mention that it might not be necessary.

True, one does what works for one. But I think some people jump to what might be harsh shampoos because they believe that's necessary. Hence my stating I never use a clarifyer to remove cones--in case that info could help someone who hates the drying effects of one. OP seems uneasy about using one too often so I just wanted to mention that it might not be necessary.

True alot of ladies do do things without considering whether or not it's really necessary. And your right a clarifier is not always necessary to remove cones. But sometimes it is. The OP could just try her normal routine to see how her hair feels. It's possible she won't need to clarify at all.

So I've been anxiously waiting for Christmas to get here so I could do my first flat iron job on my 7 months post BC hair. Thanks to all my LHCF research and advice, I guess it was a success...maybe too much of one. My coarse 4b hair came out REALLY straight, straighter than when I was relaxed even, and too straight for my liking. I realized today that I am definitely not a straight hair girl. I want my kinks back, STAT!

Are there any particular treatments I should do to get back to my kinks? Another PT (I did one 2 days ago), an extra-intense DC, or something else? I know I need to do a clarifying poo b/c of all the cones in the heat protectants I used (even though I just did one of those 2 days ago too :perplexed), but beyond that I'm at a loss.

Any and all advice is appreciated :grin:

Well i'm glad it came out great! Your hair is gorgeous and thick
yep.gif

Well i'm glad it came out great! Your hair is gorgeous and thick
yep.gif

Thanks girl :grin: I was just thinking about you earlier today and your flat ironed do'.... ironically, I think we both "failed", albeit in different ways lol. Your ponytail pic was much cuter than mine though :yep: lol

Back