Importance of Protein and Skin care by Judy McFarland

ryanshope

Importance of Protein and Skin care by Judy McFarland

http://www.judymcfarland.com/skin.shtml

The Importance of Protein for Beautiful Skin and Hair

When you look in the mirror, what do you see? Do you see soft, supple, radiant, glowing, blemish-free skin? Or do you see age spots and new wrinkles?

The skin is the first "aging" sign we tend to see in ourselves. We all want to find ways to keep our skin beautiful, soft, and, we hope, wrinkle free. We will each get some wrinkles, but nobody wants them prematurely!

My mother, Gladys Lindberg, had the most beautiful skin for her age of any woman I have ever seen. She far surpassed the "beauty experts" and "movie stars" in her beauty and grace. At age 85 she had a clear, peachy complexion and was virtually wrinkle free! She had no patchy "age" spots or blemished skin. She never smoked and avoided the sun whenever possible. This was natural beauty. Mother started her quest for health when she was 43 years old. She said her skin was blotchy and never radiant, but her program drastically changed the quality of her skin.

Important Advice for Skin Health

A woman recently came into our store looking for a "magic formula" for her deeply wrinkled skin. She was only in her mid-40s, but said her skin had changed drastically over the past months. Being quite disturbed about the situation, she came to me wanting "that miracle cream."

I talked to her for a few minutes and discovered that she had been on a severe reducing diet for several months. She had followed a diet low in protein, and over the course of those months had lost her skin tone. It had started to sag and wrinkle way beyond what would be normal for her chronological age. Most women want to be slim, but if you saw her, I'm sure you would agree, "not at that price!" Here are some things I told her that are important for healthy skin regardless of whether you're trying to lose weight or not.

Collagen - the Skin's "Cement"

Elastic skin is a sign that a person has ample collagen, the strong cement-like material that binds together the cells of your body. Collagen is a structural tissue and it is replaced very slowly. It is made of fibrous protein. In fact, collagen comprises 30 percent of the total body protein. Its strong white fibers, stronger than steel wire of the same size, and yellow elastic networks, called elastin, form the connective tissue that holds our body together. Collagen strengthens the skin, blood vessels, bones, and teeth. It is the intracellular cement that holds together the cells in various organs and tissues. Collagen is one of the most valuable proteins in the human body. A person who has been sick, or who has been on an extremely low-protein diet, very often sees the muscles in his or her arms and legs begin to sag, which is a sign that they have probably lost collagen.

Let's Start with Protein

The building blocks of protein are amino acids. When protein is eaten, your digestive processes break it down into amino acids, which pass into the blood and are carried throughout the body. Your cells can then select the amino acids they need for the construction of new body tissue, antibodies, hormones, enzymes, and blood cells.

There are 22 different amino acids, each of which has its own characteristics, and are like the letters of the alphabet. The eight essential amino acids are like the vowels. Just as you cannot make words without vowels, so you cannot build proteins without these essential amino acids. Protein is not one substance, but literally tens of thousands of different substances. The essential amino acids must be consumed in the diet because the body does not make them.

The complete proteins that contain the eight essential amino acids come from meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk -- all dairy, cheese and soy. They are basically anything that comes from the animal. Nuts and legumes (peas and beans) contain some but not all of the essential amino acids; these are known as incomplete proteins.

In various combinations, all of these amino acids are capable of forming an almost limitless variety of proteins, each serving its own purpose.

Proteins are necessary for tissue repair and for the construction of new tissue. Every cell needs protein to maintain its life. Protein is also the primary substance used to "replace" worn-out or dead cells:

* Most white blood cells are replaced every ten days.
* The cells in the lining of the gastrointestinal tract and blood platelets are replaced every four days.
* Skin cells are replaced every 24 days.
* More than 98 percent of the molecules in the body are completely replaced each year!

Your muscles, hair, nails, skin, and eyes are made of protein. So are the cells that make up the liver, kidneys, heart, lungs, nerves, brain, and your sex glands. The body's most active protein users are the hormones secreted from the various glands -- thyroxin from the thyroid, insulin from the pancreas, and a variety of hormones from the pituitary -- as well as the soft tissues, hard-working major organs and muscles. They all require the richest stores of protein.

How Much Protein a Day?

Many "experts" differ on the amount of protein needed in the diet. Some suggest very low amounts; some suggest much higher amounts, especially if body building. I have found with my nutritional counseling that most people consume a very low protein diet, especially if they tell me they are tired all the time. When I have them increase their protein during the day, usually with protein shakes, it is amazing how much better they start to feel.

The following protein requirement chart is to be used only as a guideline for determining your protein requirement. You may need more, or you might be able to get by with slightly less. Your requirement depends on your percent of body fat, your weight and the physical activity you do. The higher your activity level, the more you will need to increase your dietary protein intake to repair and rebuild muscle.

If you are undergoing any type of severe stress (including the stresses of cancer, burns, radiation exposure, or pregnancy), you need more. If you are susceptible to infections you may need more. Remember that antibodies, white blood cells, lymph cells, and everything our body uses to fight infections is made out of protein. I feel it is very important we look to the high side of these requirements.

Daily Protein Requirements for Men and Women Over 20*

Ideal Weight Protein Needed Safety Margin
80 lbs 40 grams 60 grams
111 lbs 50 grams 70 grams
133 lbs 60 grams 80 grams
156 lbs 70 grams 90 grams
178 lbs 80 grams 100 grams
200 lbs 90 grams 110 grams
222 lbs 100 grams 120 grams
244 lbs 110 grams 130 grams

*Our calculations for this age group are based on the usual recommendation of one gram of protein per kilogram (2.2 lbs) of ideal body weight, for sedentary individuals. However, adding 20 grams of protein to the above recommendation as a safety margin will ensure getting enough protein. Pregnant women should add an additional 20 grams, and nursing mothers should add 40 grams of protein to the above recommendation. If you are physically active, exercising every day, figure one gram of protein per pound of lean (your ideal) weight.

Read article for more...

Last edited: