In Defense of Gabby Douglas' Hair (spoiler alert)

lovegymnasts

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/defense-gabby-douglas-hair-191700322.html

Contains spoiler regarding the Women's All Around Gymnastic's competition

In Defense of Gabby Douglas' Hair
By Lylah M. Alphonse, Senior Editor, Yahoo! Shine | Team Mom – 4 hours ago

Why are people so focused on Gabby Douglas' hair?Gabby Douglas is proudly representing her country in the Olympics. She's poised under pressure, performing gravity-defying athletic feats in front of an international audience. She's 16 and the second female African American U.S. gymnast to ever make the team. But instead of lauding her achievements, some people are slamming her for... not getting her hair done.

Seriously? Douglas is an incredible athlete. When you're doing something like this on a 3.9-inch wide wooden beam set four feet above the ground, the last thing you're worrying about is your hair.

Gabby Douglas dominates on the balance beam, Thursday, Aug. 2. (Photo: Getty Images/Streeter Lecka)
Some critics insist that Douglas needs to properly represent the African American community, and how her hair looks is part of that. And yet, most of the negative comments about her hair are coming from other African Americans.

"I find it sad that I have seen more Black women post criticizing comments about Gabby's hair than I have comments of praise about her athleticism or adding color to USA Gymnastics since Dominique Dawes," writes Monisha Randolph at SportyAfros.com.

Many African American women choose not to work out in order to protect their hairstyle, Randolph points out. "The last time I checked when you play a sport, you sweat. I know I do. And when a Black woman who has chosen to wear her hair straight begins to sweat, her hair will (not might) begin to revert back to its natural coily, curly, or kinky state," she writes. "Some of us are sitting up right now with our hair done but suffering from high blood pressure, borderline diabetes, obesity, and/or a lack of energy. Oh, but the hair is on point."
Hair has always held a special significance in the African American community. Emmy Award-winning comedian Chris Rock was so struck by his daughter's obsession with her friend's hair that he made a documentary about it; in "Good Hair," he goes on a quest to better understand why hair is so important to so many black women.
"There's always this sort of pressure within the black community like, if you have good hair, you're prettier or better than the brown-skinned girl that wears the Afro or the dreads or the natural hairstyle," actress Nia Long told him when he interviewed her for his film.
"They say it's for the men, but it's really for the women. Because guys don't care" about a woman's hair, he points out. His theory is born out in the stream of tweets about Douglas's hair -- the most critical comments are by women. (Thankfully, some of the most supportive ones since have been by African American women as well.)
Instead of worrying about whether her hair is perfect, Douglas is focused on making history and winning Olympic gold. She is representing all Americans, not just one single group. She's achieved more by age 16 than most of us do in a lifetime. Shouldn't we be cheering her on instead of tearing her down?

----------------------------------------
I personally have never liked Gabby's hair. I wish she would have taken out that bad weave long ago but her hair is pulled back in a simple ponytail for the competition. There is nothing wrong with that. Her hair is no better or worse than the average black woman.
AND...
What does her hair have to do with her accomplishments? I ain't thinking about her hair during the Olympics.

We got to do better as a people.

For me...this just supports my thoughts that we are embarrassed and ashamed of our hair.

Gabby just did something historical. Why are people tweeting about her hair?

CheLala13

ETA: Ah, I see this is already being talked about. That's what I get for not having an internet connection.

lovegymnasts

Well I agree with the disappointment. Yes, she is to be praised for her achievements, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but she is also a representation to THE WORLD. I don't think her hair needed to be relaxed (the horror) or weaved (even worse in my opinion), but those darn clips! Yikes! Either way, I'm proud of her, but I see where other's are coming from...considering she's probably the first black woman many of those athletes from other countries have ever encountered. We all want to put our best foot forward, and in this case she got us some GOLD.

In defense, the clips are standard in gymnastics. Most gymnasts wear 10 million clips surrounding their head. I've always hated it.
So that isn't just her.

CheLala13

In defense, the clips are standard in gymnastics. Most gymnasts wear 10 million clips surrounding their head. I've always hated it.
So that isn't just her.

Thanks for the clarification. I want to THINK that most people are critical because well...when we don't have many people out there, we want them to be perfect. But obviously some people are hating. If we had 2 or 3 black gymnasts each Olympics, I bet this wouldn't come up. When you're a black person doing something rare, we tend to only want perfection, and anything less than that, the masses will loudly state their discontent. I stay up off of Twitter, so I haven't read anything about her hair.

mscurly

I'm so over this ridiculous discussion about this child's hair and people using this a an opportunity to get press and camera time

People are talking more about her hair rather than celebrating what she's accomplished.

Keshieshimmer

This is in three different forums. There is a minority saying crap on the worse idea ever aka Twitter and all of a sudden CurlyNikki will be on CNN or something commenting on it.

lovegymnasts

This is in three different forums. There is a minority saying crap on the worse idea ever aka Twitter and all of a sudden CurlyNikki will be on CNN or something commenting on it.

Get out of here...really?

It's gotten to that point?

It's such an irrelevant issue.

CurlsBazillion

I think she's awesome period. Maybe her hair was perfect and then during warm ups she sweats and her hair wasn't so perfect anymore, just an idea... well going to go catch what I missed in the all arounds...yeah she won that, only the fourth American female and the first African American to do so! Go Gabby :D

vtoodler

Thanks for the clarification. I want to THINK that most people are critical because well...when we don't have many people out there, we want them to be perfect. But obviously some people are hating. If we had 2 or 3 black gymnasts each Olympics, I bet this wouldn't come up. When you're a black person doing something rare, we tend to only want perfection, and anything less than that, the masses will loudly state their discontent. I stay up off of Twitter, so I haven't read anything about her hair.

Don't people also criticize Beyonce?

Last edited:

missyanne

I'm team Gabby. I will always support a young African-American trying to achieve greatness. After all she could have been a pregnant teenager using her government check to get her hair done. Let's not forget she is young, hearing and reading these attacks can not be good for her self-esteem.

Less critic and more support !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lovebug10

Honestly I think its amazing to have an African American female at her age be so accomplished int he public eye. not gonna lie though when I first saw her on tv i was like "but those edges and that pony tail" and then i was like "well its ugly looking but she's not trying to look cute." I realized her hair was ugly but she was just being practical and wanted it all out of her face to compete.

If it were me, I personally would've gotten a touch up before but thats because im girly. I don't know her name but look up the croatian womens basketball player on the olympic team. SHe SHOWED out ont he court with full makeup, big stud earrings and a cute pony tail. All my guy friends were like "wow she's gorgeous." While yes you can dress up to the olympics, its not a fashion show so its acceptable to be practical.

However, if theres some kind of banquet/ formal ceremony and gabby still has that janky hair-do then I will be giving her the side eye.

Mane Event

Wow! Touch up, really?! :perplexed

These threads are truly disappointing!

At sixteen I was wearing braids 1b/4/33/27, slicking down my edges, thinking I was half way cute.

I could see folks going in if she was an adult but my goodness she's a teen! Gymnast or not, she's still a kid and she's doing kid things! I don't know too many teens 15/16 yr old, who's hair OH MY GUDNESS GURL, ON POINT!! Especiallly not her teammates :perplexed

Attachments

• 120731_usa_gymnasts_lg.jpg
    120731_usa_gymnasts_lg.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Shelew

Her hair is together on all of her promo pictures. She certainly is not thinking about hair at this time, she only was thinking how she gonna stick landings and stay on the beam. If she does not have a relaxer and had a press, she has been sweating all week and Lordy I am transitioning and feel the pain with edges. :)

Cherokee-n-Black

Um...all of their hair looks bad. Kyla Ross (another sister btw) and McKayla Maroney. There aren't that many options for gymnasts to be fly. Dominique Dawes had that fly cut back in the 90's...who, btw, went natural??? When did that happen. Love me some Dominique. But I love me some Gabby too. Don' nobody say nothin' 'bout my black gymnasts!

lovegymnasts

Um...all of their hair looks bad. Kyla Ross (another sister btw) and McKayla Maroney. There aren't that many options for gymnasts to be fly. Dominique Dawes had that fly cut back in the 90's...who, btw, went natural??? When did that happen. Love me some Dominique. But I love me some Gabby too. Don' nobody say nothin' 'bout my black gymnasts!

Dominique's my girl!
No one can take her place.

drmuffin

Who gives a fcuk about her hair?? Didn't she just win some gold? I'll be bald and be happy as a clam if I could take the gold at the Olympics.

Cherokee-n-Black

http://shine.yahoo.com/team-mom/defense-gabby-douglas-hair-191700322.html

Seriously? Douglas is an incredible athlete. When you're doing something like this on a 3.9-inch wide wooden beam set four feet above the ground, the last thing you're worrying about is your hair.

I totally disagree--I think they are totally worrying about their hair---staying the heck out of their faces and out of their way! WTF??? Her hair looks exactly like her teammates'. Typical self-hate of our people. Tsk Tsk.

My Friend

Lawd knows I wish they would interview me. I would give them a look :rolleyes: like no other. I would not even address that question :nono:. I would ask them if they saw her win GOLD? Did they see her performance at all?

Her mom and sista look like they got it in them to shut them all down.

empressri

This girl is fit and doing her thing and going places, and the people complaining about her are home on their laptops stuffing their faces with cupcakes and probably have a 1 inch ponytail. STFU. Let's see if your perfect relaxer will get you that damned far in life.

Last edited:

reeko43

I can't believe that this woman even wrote this article. Why give this mess center stage? I am not on Twitter, thank goodness. I wasn't even thinking about her hair until I saw the threads here. The bling from that team gold medal, her smile and performances had me too dazzled to see anything else. Twitter seems to be the home of the ignorant and foolishly impulsive. So glad I passed on that.

My Friend

I can't believe that this woman even wrote this article. Why give this mess center stage? I am not on Twitter, thank goodness. I wasn't even thinking about her hair until I saw the threads here. The bling from that team gold medal, her smile and performances had me too dazzled to see anything else. Twitter seems to be the home of the ignorant and foolishly impulsive. So glad I passed on that.

reeko43

Sadly, Twitter made this headline news :sad: They are talking about her hair on CNN :sad: It was also trending on Yahoo :sad: I guess Curly Nikki has been selected to answer all the questions regarding negro hair :look:

reeko43

Are you serious? Wow. Curlie Nikki shouldn't entertain this. I hope she doesn't offer any lengthy explanations or excuses. Gabby needs none. If she had worn a squirrel on her head, she would still be the top gymast in the world. That is what counts.

lovegymnasts

reeko43

Sadly, Twitter made this headline news :sad: They are talking about her hair on CNN :sad: It was also trending on Yahoo :sad: I guess Curly Nikki has been selected to answer all the questions regarding negro hair :look:

Why does the media know Curly Nikki?
Who exactly is she?
I know she has a website but other than that what?
Has she blown up or something?

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
these natural hair bloggers be cashing out $$$$-i wish i had hoped on the train 5 years ago.

Seamonster

I thought her hair looked good. She got nice thick edges, and I hope she don't listen to all these grown folks that have rubbed their edges back to their ears. She is very pretty.

My Friend

If CN is using this opportunity to promote herself, cool but I hope she doesnt use Gabby as a pedestal for any of her ventures.

CN should simply state that "When your winning a GOLD medal, hair is the last thing on your mind" and then procede to discuss hair. Anytime, they try to bring it back aound to Gabby, she surely will celebrate Gabby's accomplishments and nothing more.