In DESPERATE need of Heavy Duty Leave-in!

ANUBIS

Hey ladies! I just wanted to take this chance to introdce myself. I have been on and off my hair care journey to WSL or HL hair for about 5 years...well not really. I tried cathy howse method for 6 months in 2004 then fell off he wagon as soon as my hair reached between APL and BSL!!! I flatironed the crap out of it. Then slowly reverted bacC to hair grease, not washing, brushing, and tightly pulled hairstyles.:hammer: So around sept 07 I got serious again about getting some hair and bought cathy howse products and I have now grown my hair from a little past shoulder length to mabey between BSL and MBL but with a BIG setback last summer. Anyways I finally decided to join you beautiful ladies here on LHCF. I will be posting hair pics soon when i get a new digicam.:grouphug3:

OK Sorry for the long intro but i wanted to let you all know who I was before I started asking questions.

I have 4a hair relaxed and I cant seem to keep my hair moisterized. . .I am not stranger to protein/moisture balancing but for some reason my hair drinks up every bit of moisture i put on my head! Does anyone have this problem? I really need a recomendation for a HEAVY DUTY leave-in moisterizer. I mean So heavy that it might as well be a D/C!!!!!:lick: I have been using Aussie Deeep for my moisture D/C and UBH as my protein and CFCG and Coconut oil as my leave-in.

I have gotten so paranoid that my ends will dry out I keep my hair in 4 large braids an plastering my ends with CFCG then oil and then gooping on the aussie deep. I then co/wash (just water) the next day.

Sounds like you may have a piorsity problem, I am no expert on the subject so try and do a search on that. Hope I have helped some.

welcome to the forum, some moisturizers that I like are jane carter nourish and shine, hairveda whipped baggy cream, and sometimes I use aubrey organics honeysuckle rose as a moisturizer because it is so thick and not watery.

SouthernStunner- Thnx I was thinking that might be a possibility. I might have to try an ACV rinse.

TexturedTresses- I googled Jane Carter products and THE ONLY RETAILER in Washington is in walking distance from my house LOL! I will definatly try that out! Is that your staple moisture leave-in???

How often do you dc? Dc'ing more often will get the moisture back in your hair :yep:

Also try Roux Porosity Control Conditioner from Sally's. Every time you shampoo and dc, follow up with a quick 5 minute condition with Porosity Control

For a leave in, you can use a regular conditioner for that. I love using GVP Conditioning Balm as a leave in :lick:

Tiffers- I think I need to up my D/c i fell off doing it regularly...:ohwell: I guess that would be a big factor in the dryness. wooow thats really obvious lo. I guess I figured that since I use minimal heat ( flatiron only 1 or 2 times a year) and low manipulation it would be good enough.

Tiffers/ Denise11- I will definatly try the porosity control conditioner and the GVP Balm:lick:

I would start with Clarifying and then I would Deep Condition and then I would follow up with the Porosity Control after every DC treatment. As for Leave-Ins, I, too, am a lover of Heavy Leave In Treatments and would suggest: (In no particular order)

1) Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat
2) Alter Ego Nova Care Nourish Spa
3) Salerm 21 B5
4) Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In Treatment
5) Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern
6) Paranev Leave In
7) Dr. Bronners Lavender & Coconut
These all are extra Creamy and Rich Leave Ins

i love jane carter nourish and shine on damp hair. it is so moisturizing but i only used it at night before i put on my bonnet. in the morning i use kbb hair milk or curls milkshake.

I would start with Clarifying and then I would Deep Condition and then I would follow up with the Porosity Control after every DC treatment. As for Leave-Ins, I, too, am a lover of Heavy Leave In Treatments and would suggest: (In no particular order)
2) Alter Ego Nova Care Nourish Spa
3) Salerm 21 B5
4) Beauty Without Cruelty Leave-In Treatment
5) Aubrey Organics Calaguala Fern
6) Paranev Leave In
7) Dr. Bronners Lavender & Coconut
That Butter Treat is a GREAT leave in! And I love how it can be used for dc'ing, co washing AND as a leave in :lick:

Tiffers- I think I need to up my D/c i fell off doing it regularly...:ohwell: I guess that would be a big factor in the dryness. wooow thats really obvious lo. I guess I figured that since I use minimal heat ( flatiron only 1 or 2 times a year) and low manipulation it would be good enough.

Tiffers/ Denise11- I will definatly try the porosity control conditioner and the GVP Balm:lick:
Using minimal heat and doing low mani are great things, but you should always dc to treat your hair and make it happy :giggle: Join the Deep Conditioning Challenge, your hair will thank you for it! My hair has improved soooo much with dc'ing twice a week :)

If your hair keeps drinking up everything, you might want to check your porosity.

Try adding an acidifying conditioner into your regime.

That Butter Treat is a GREAT leave in! And I love how it can be used for dc'ing, co washing AND as a leave in :lick:

The PJ in me didn't need to see this.....going to look for this today.:grin:

L'Occitane Ultra Rich Hair Cream; it is seriously good as a leave in. It has the same density and richness of body cream. In fact when I first opened I thought I had bought the body cream by mistake. :)

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I have 3c natural hair, but I use Abba Pure Gentle leave-in treatment everytime I co-wash which is 3-4 times a week. It's full of good stuff for your hair and creamy not watery. I put a quater size dollop on my bra strap length hair. I even use it as a detangler! Love it!

Alter ego energizing and rebalancing cream...super moisturizing; can be used as a DC or leave-in...

How often do you dc? Dc'ing more often will get the moisture back in your hair :yep:

Also try Roux Porosity Control Conditioner from Sally's. Every time you shampoo and dc, follow up with a quick 5 minute condition with Porosity Control

For a leave in, you can use a regular conditioner for that. I love using GVP Conditioning Balm as a leave in :lick:

I do too and Organix Vanilla Conditioner:grin:

Hey Anubis!

I'm new too and am in desperate need of a heavy duty leave-in and I thank you for this thread.

So far I've tried HE LTR and I really liked the way it made my hair feel while drying and leading up to my next wash it but it made my scalp itching something bad but I have serious scalp issues that I'm in the mist of taking care of right now so I'm on the hunt.

I've tried Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner and it gave me a protein overload that I'm trying to recover from now. :nono:

Also tried the Rusk PF&A leave-in and it left my hair frezzy and in one big poof. :(

I planned on using Dr. Bronner's Lavendar & Coconut my next wash and it was cool to see IDareT'sHair mention it cause I haven't heard too much about in my research..... Thanks IDareT'sHair for that list, I have them all written down and will be trying them all. :yep: Oh yeah, I'm a PJ! :blush:

I washed my hair with AO HSR and used Roux Porosity Control Conditioner w/ no leave-in just to see how it feels.... the outcome... ALRIGHT, not as moisturizing as I hoped BUT I realized as I was washing the Porosity out that I didn't leave it in long enough so I'll give it another try plus use it after every DC.

AND I bought the JC nourish & shine this weekend. Trying it out before I hit the bed.

It felt good after reading this thread because at least I'm on the right track..... by the way, sorry its so long reply..... but but.... I just love my LHCF sisters and all the knowledge they bring!!! :creatures

You may also just have coarse hair. My hair is coarse, and I tried to fix my porosity. It did not help any. My hair is simply thirsty. With coarse hair, the hair already has a high level of protein, so it gets dry very easily.

I would actually recommend a neutralizing product (shampoo, conditioner, or porosity control). Your porosity might be messed up. If you've tried beaucoup products, then it's probably something else that's the problem and it's likely your hair will drink up your next leave in.

When a stylist blow fried my hair it was like asponge and it was terrible. I used my Linange Neutralizing Conditioner and it snapped me back with the quickness. I think my cuticle was just jacked up. Idk...Just a suggestion.

As previously stated, get yourself some Roux Porosity control and use it religously after your DCs. But also use Roux Fermodyl 619 as a liquid leave in. This combo has turned my hair around.

ETA: Porosity issues don't dissappear overnight. It may take 2 or 3 uses to get your hair to optimum moisture retention. In my case I have to keep using it as long as the cause of my porosity issues still exists (meaning as long as I continue to relax). So PC is not a one time and done thing.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[quoteETA: Porosity issues don't dissappear overnight. It may take 2 or 3 uses to get your hair to optimum moisture retention. In my case I have to keep using it as long as the cause of my porosity issues still exists (meaning as long as I continue to relax). So PC is not a one time and done thing.[/quote]

I agree 110%. That's why I continue to use my PC After every DC with heat. I knew I had Porous Hair and I know it is going to take some time to turn it around. And LaidBak is correct: Being Relaxed adds a whole other dimension to the equation. So, Now I know, it should always be part of a relaxed regimen in some way, shape or form:yep:.

ITA - it can take some time to fix your porosity issues which are likely compounded by the other products you use and your water quality. Your hair is losing moisture quickly - you need to lower the pH to close the cuticle so the moisture stays in the strands. As suggested, a combination of products should work well for you. And then you need to keep using them. You might also wish to try a very light oil - camellia, grapeseed, something like that - and add a couple two, three drops to seal in the moisture.

I use conditioner and leave it in. I am 4b and my hair usually has a lot of moisture also the baggie works.

Hey Anubis!

I'm new too and am in desperate need of a heavy duty leave-in and I thank you for this thread.

So far I've tried HE LTR and I really liked the way it made my hair feel while drying and leading up to my next wash it but it made my scalp itching something bad but I have serious scalp issues that I'm in the mist of taking care of right now so I'm on the hunt.

I've tried Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner and it gave me a protein overload that I'm trying to recover from now. :nono:

Also tried the Rusk PF&A leave-in and it left my hair frezzy and in one big poof. :(

I planned on using Dr. Bronner's Lavendar & Coconut my next wash and it was cool to see IDareT'sHair mention it cause I haven't heard too much about in my research..... Thanks IDareT'sHair for that list, I have them all written down and will be trying them all. :yep: Oh yeah, I'm a PJ! :blush:

I washed my hair with AO HSR and used Roux Porosity Control Conditioner w/ no leave-in just to see how it feels.... the outcome... ALRIGHT, not as moisturizing as I hoped BUT I realized as I was washing the Porosity out that I didn't leave it in long enough so I'll give it another try plus use it after every DC.

AND I bought the JC nourish & shine this weekend. Trying it out before I hit the bed.

It felt good after reading this thread because at least I'm on the right track..... by the way, sorry its so long reply..... but but.... I just love my LHCF sisters and all the knowledge they bring!!! :creatures

Why would it be making your scalp itch? Did you apply it to your scalp or just to the length of your hair?

I also mix PC in with my DC so I don't have to leave it on an extra 5 mins.

And if you can't find a good leave in, just find a good moisturizing condish and just leave a little in your hair. I always have to follow PC up with something slightly moisturizing (even if it's a quick rinse out condish - usually I detangle under water with condish as my final step).

Last edited:
Back