Cathy Howse & Her Methods of Operation

vtoodler

Cathy Howse & Her Modus Operandi

On one hand, I admire Cathy Howse for being a pioneer in black hair care.

She helped dispel many myths about our hair, and was one of the first people to explain the importance of protein-moisture balance. Thus, her book, Ultra Black Hair Growth, is arguably a seminal work on Afro-textured hair.

Yet, one thing I noticed is that her style is very bare-bones. Several years ago, I read "Ultra Black Hair Growth" and felt somewhat unsatisfied afterward. Howse made a lot of excellent observations but never really went into much detail. I felt as if the book scratched the surface and wanted her to go deeper. After browsing UBH's website now, it seems as if her style is much the same.

What do you think? Did/does her bare-bones approach satisfy you? Or, did it leave you yearning for more?

Last edited:

blazingthru

I know for me, she got me started believing I could actually grow my hair and it was on a forum that actually lead me here to longhaircare and I was able to achieve armpit length when I never even dream it would be possible, but I learned that on here, but she got me started moisturizing my hair and deep conditioning. Now that I cut my hair down to twa I am ready to obtain a new regiment, I would not go to her as I feel like you said there isn't enough info on there and actually I am not sure if she talks about hiding your hair.

Pompous Blue

I read her book, too, OP, and was not satisfied. LHCF gave me the knowledge to take care of my hair....build a regimen, growth and retention, etc. Also, I did not like her tone. I learned so much more here.

SexySin985

On one hand, I have to give Cathy Howse credit for being a pioneer of sorts in black hair care.

She helped dispel many myths about our hair, and she was one of the first people (among many) to explain the importance of protein-moisture balance. Thus, her book, Ultra Black Hair Growth, is arguably a seminal work on Afro-textured hair.

Yet, one thing I noticed is that her methods are a little too simple. For example, I read "Ultra Black Hair Growth" several years ago, and I felt immensely unsatisfied after finishing the book. She made a ton of excellent observations, but the book never really went into detail and had a very bare-bones approach. I wanted her to go deeper and felt as if the book only scratched the surface. After browsing her website now, it still seems as if her style is much the same.

What about you think? Did her bare-bones approach satisfy you?

Maybe because hair growth and retention is really just that simple. I think we complicate it a lot more than what it really needs to be. One shampoo, 1 protein conditioner, one moisturizing conditioner, LIC, oil and moisturizer and most of us should be set. But no, we (myself included) feel we need 50-11 products or else the job just won't get done right:lol: I totally understand what you are saying though. After reading so many updated hair care book, Cathy's just seemed so shallow. But it is still a great read nonetheless.:spinning:

caribeandiva

Human being
Maybe because hair growth and retention is really just that simple. I think we complicate it a lot more than what it really needs to be. One shampoo, 1 protein conditioner, one moisturizing conditioner, LIC, oil and moisturizer and most of us should be set. But no, we (myself included) feel we need 50-11 products or else the job just won't get done right:lol: I totally understand what you are saying though. After reading so many updated hair care book, Cathy's just seemed so shallow. But it is still a great read nonetheless.:spinning:

I never read her book but I totally agree with you. :yep:

MizzBFly

reading her website faq's, book and ordering her products(for a few years), started me in the right direction and put my hair in the health it needed to thrive. She was my starting point but, there is so much more information that others provide the she doesn't touch on. I would never attempt to minimize her contributations to black hair knowlegde/practices but in the simplest of terms, she was my stepping stone.

imsovain

She deserves respect as one of the OG's of the long hair movement among Black women in the US, but we've learned so much since then!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
vtoodler

Better than is relative. That's why it's difficult for me to do comparisons on products.

It's a nice DC'er. For me, IMO, I'd say it's better if not just as good as any AO Conditioner out there.

And I think it's more of a Protein DC'er. It is very nice.

I just wish she had more Sales.

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I was satisfied w/ The Ultra Hair Growth II book. It definitely was the starting point my hair needed. My very first regimen was Herbal Essence Shampoo for chemically, damaged hair and her products. Her book and products gave you the basic building blocks to change your bad habits to healthier ones.

Reading the testimonials allowed me to discover LHCF. I agree with another poster, she is one if the OG, Pioneer, etc of black hair growth. I still browse her site from time and time again. I know she travels and do hair tours...now 2 very popular hair bloggers are doing hair tours (Taren916 & KGLifestyle)

All hail the queen: Cathy Howse.

Last edited: