Indian Hair Oils - For growth

LondonDiva

Many ladies including myself are using the Vatika Oil. A smell which I actually love, I know others can't stand it.

But what are the other (if any) Indian oils which are good/great for hair growth? I've heard of Brahmi, Neem and Amla. Which ones are the Indian MTG that will have theis stuff sprouting out of my head like a chia pet?

ETA: I just did a google search, and Cobra Oil came up "cobra hair oil is a unique formulation prepared from the extracts of bhringraj, amla, jatamansi, olive oil, chandan oil, almond oil and many rare herbs" I think I remember this being mentioned a long time ago on here.

Last edited:

LaNecia

Oh, don't make me dig this up again! :lol:

Other oils that come to mind are: Amla, Bhringraj, Bhrami, Coconut, Sesame (Til), Neem, Castor, Jasmine, Lemon.

I'm not near my notebook to be able to list more. :cool:

ETA: There are their proprietary oils like Anoop but you'll be hard pressed to find out the ingredients. After MONTHS of searching the web, I still haven't learned the secret to that one. :mad:

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

Vixxen said most. Don't neglect Shikaki, Aritha. I use them all plus the Amla regular and lite from Dabur. Vatika, I do not have VATIKA but created my own version using Parachute coconut oil, amla powder and some nettel just mixed together in a little container on some nights.

BrownSkin2

VWVixxen said:
Oh, don't make me dig this up again! :lol:

Other oils that come to mind are: Amla, Bhringraj, Bhrami, Coconut, Sesame (Til), Neem, Castor, Jasmine, Lemon.

I'm not near my notebook to be able to list more. :cool:

ETA: There are their proprietary oils like Anoop but you'll be hard pressed to find out the ingredients. After MONTHS of searching the web, I still haven't learned the secret to that one. :mad:

I have the Anoop oil, but haven't used it yet. I'm in braids right now. This is what the carton says ' Anoop is a proprietary Ayurvedic Medicine. ' This hair oil made from proven and time tested Indian herbs. No chemical substances, 100% herbal. It contains ingredients like: Extract of Indigofere tinctoria L, Extract of Elcipta alba (L) Hassk, Extract of Cardiospermum haliccabum (L), Extractof Emblica officinalis Gaertn, Glycyrrhiza glabra L, Milk & Coconut oil base.

I was a little leery of using this oil because I haven't heard anyone mention it, and it says to immediately throw the containers away upon using to avoid 'spurious Anoop'. It is to be used overnite and washed out in the morning. I bought it because at the Indian shop, a Indian raved about it. She said it stopped her shedding immediately, after she had a baby.

LaNecia

BrownSkin2,

I don't have the ingredients on my bottle. :( One of the concerns I've read with the Anoop has to do with copy cats taking the bottles and putting fake product in it and selling it as Anoop. I've read multiple sites where they ask to destroy the bottles after use to avoid this.

I've read nothing but good things about it but it smells like an ashtray to me and I HATE cigarette smoke so I don't use it enough to determine if it works or not.

@ Arcadian...I pulled my neem oil out of the fridge yesterday thinking I could do it, use it...15 minutes later..."oh hell to the naw"...:barf: I'm tolerant of a lot of things but...I HAVE to draw the line some where. :lol:

fancypants007

LondonDiva said:
Many ladies including myself are using the Vatika Oil. A smell which I actually love, I know others can't stand it.

But what are the other (if any) Indian oils which are good/great for hair growth? I've heard of Brahmi, Neem and Amla. Which ones are the Indian MTG that will have theis stuff sprouting out of my head like a chia pet?

ETA: I just did a google search, and Cobra Oil came up "cobra hair oil is a unique formulation prepared from the extracts of bhringraj, amla, jatamansi, olive oil, chandan oil, almond oil and many rare herbs" I think I remember this being mentioned a long time ago on here.

There is another one sold at IndoUSPlaza.com and it is called Keshvardhini Oil. Go to there website and check it out. It's a small bottle but you mix it with vegetable oil because it is concentrated.

alexstin

BrownSkin2 said:
I have the Anoop oil, but haven't used it yet. I'm in braids right now. This is what the carton says ' Anoop is a proprietary Ayurvedic Medicine. ' This hair oil made from proven and time tested Indian herbs. No chemical substances, 100% herbal. It contains ingredients like: Extract of Indigofere tinctoria L, Extract of Elcipta alba (L) Hassk, Extract of Cardiospermum haliccabum (L), Extractof Emblica officinalis Gaertn, Glycyrrhiza glabra L, Milk & Coconut oil base.

I was a little leery of using this oil because I haven't heard anyone mention it, and it says to immediately throw the containers away upon using to avoid 'spurious Anoop'. It is to be used overnite and washed out in the morning. I bought it because at the Indian shop, a Indian raved about it. She said it stopped her shedding immediately, after she had a baby.

:lachen: What in the world does that mean?

WomanlyCharm

Has anyone ever used the Dabur olive oil? It sounds like it would be good for hair growth:

'Dabur Olive Hair Oil is the first olive oil product specifically formulated for hair to be launched in the Middle East. It is an extra virgin olive oil enriched with cactus and almonds".

I've never heard of it! :confused:

God's Anointed

I've used the Vatika oil in the past as a pre-poo and it worked wonders. I remember someone said it helped with growth so maybe tonight i'll be adding sulfur to mine and use it daily for a month and see if i see a difference. I noticed alot of peope gave ideas about different oils but has anyone ever noticed growth from any of these indian oils?

longhairluva

I just talked to my Indian co-worker and she said this is the oil the use. She also recommended Amla oil. She is picking up some bottles for me to try. She said they warm it and massage into there scalp and let it stay there for about 2 hours.

LondonDiva

The have too many oils it's so confusing. My thing is well they (Indians) seem to have that thriving hair, so when in London do as in the Indians.

Neem is the first oil listed in Vatika after the coconut Oil base. Is this supposed to be some kind of hair growth stimulant?

LaNecia

LD,

Neem is more of a bacterial fighting oil than a growth stimulant. Neem is used in the agricultural industry as a natural insecticide to fight insects. You can find a Neem spray in Whole Foods in the Skin Care section where they have the insect repellents. The insects due to the taste of the oil, the bugs starve to death rather than eat. Also, something in it, I can't remember, affects the bugs reproductive system where by they can't reproduce. It is also used WHEN TAKEN INTERNALLY as birth control in humans.

I think it may work something like the sulphur/MN in regards to germ fighting, creating a healthy scalp environment.

For more information on Neem and it's uses: The Neem Foundation

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

LadyD2u said:
Brooklyn,
Do you mix all your oils together when you use them?

LadyD, sometimes yes, sometimes no...just depends on the feel and look I want at the time. There are days I use only coconut, other days I'll use a layering technique.

PaulaDiddy

Those that are using the Vatika, how are you using it? Are you staying with the directions on the bottle or do you have your own set of directions?

The Girl

PaulaDiddy said:
Those that are using the Vatika, how are you using it? Are you staying with the directions on the bottle or do you have your own set of directions?
bump for response

Divine Inspiration

PaulaDiddy said:

I use it to seal my moisturizer during the week, and I like to use it on freshly washed hair as well. I don't apply it to my scalp, but I've heard of ladies getting good results with it that way. I definitely think it would be good for softening NG, etc.

LABETT

I just discovered the Gift Of Nature Almond Herbal Hair Oil and my hair love it and just sucks it up.
I like it better than the Alma and Vatika oil because it's so light and does not way my hair down plus it has a lot of good stuff in it.