Indian Powder Pre-Poo Under a Steamer?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies:
I just ordered a steamer and am trying to think of different ways to use it since I'm sure I will be aching to break it out each week based on the reviews I have read here.
I am looking at doing an amla treatment mixed with oils as a pre-poo, so my questions are:
1) Have you ever used an Indian powder mix as a pre-poo? Did you have to let the mixture sit (I know you have to for henna for the colors to release but do those who use amla or shikaika, etc, also have to let the mix sit?)
2) If you have used it as a pre-poo, have you ever done so under a steamer? How long did you sit under the steamer? What was your experience after shampooing and DC'ing (if that's what you did)
Thanks!

beautyaddict1913

No, you dont have to let amla sit, as it hardens very quickly. I have never done it as a pre-poo. I will be using my amla powder for the first time on Thursday and have thoroughly done my research and asked ayurveda gurus tons of questions, so I can only tell you what I have learned....it is advisable that you wrap your hair in saran or another close fitting plastic head cover after you apply it to prevent it from getting to hard too fast and that you leave on about 30 minutes, but not much more. It is also advised that you deep condition afterwards, as amla is a strengthening agent, just like when we do black tea rinses or protein treatments.
Im mixing my amla with water, rosewater and avocado oil. My hair will be washed and detangled before I use it and I will follow with a deep conditioner.

Hope this helps!

davisbr88

No, you dont have to let amla sit, as it hardens very quickly. I have never done it as a pre-poo. I will be using my amla powder for the first time on Thursday and have thoroughly done my research and asked ayurveda gurus tons of questions, so I can only tell you what I have learned....it is advisable that you wrap your hair in saran or another close fitting plastic head cover after you apply it to prevent it from getting to hard too fast and that you leave on about 30 minutes, but not much more. It is also advised that you deep condition afterwards, as amla is a strengthening agent, just like when we do black tea rinses or protein treatments.
Im mixing my amla with water, rosewater and avocado oil. My hair will be washed and detangled before I use it and I will follow with a deep conditioner.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for responding!!!
It was real quiet in here for a minute... :lachen:
Anyway, that's really interesting... I usually do more research with these type of things but I was so excited that I just wanted to jump in head-first. I wonder if I will have to wrap my hair in saran if I cover with a plastic cap and sit under my steamer... I will experiment when I get my steamer and powder.
Please let me know how it goes after you do yours!