Pre-Poo THEN Clarify?

davisbr88

Hi, ladies:
Does clarifying after a protein pre-poo treatment under the steamer make the pre-poo irrelevant? I'm just wondering since I was planning to do so sometime within the next few weeks.

Aspire

Yes. Clarifying removes everything from your hair. If you plan to do both, you should clarify before the protein treatment, then the protein will bond better to your hair.

discodumpling

Yeah I clarify or chelate when I wanna get my hair ultra clean & receptive to whatever i'm gonna do to it next. IMHO clarifying after any treatment makes the treatment null & void...

MsLizziA

wait a minute....what? So im the only one that soaks their hair in oil before they clarify it to stop some of the stripping effects?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
wait a minute....what? So im the only one that soaks their hair in oil before they clarify it to stop some of the stripping effects?

Then what is the point of clarifying? :lol: The purpose of clarifying is to strip the hair to remove build up and help it to be receptive to any treatments that follow. If you're not wanting to do that, then go with a shampoo milder than a clarifier.

MsLizziA

Then what is the point of clarifying? :lol: The purpose of clarifying is to strip the hair to remove build up and help it to be receptive to any treatments that follow. If you're not wanting to do that, then go with a shampoo milder than a clarifier.
Well see when i do the pre-poo, my hair still feels ok after i clarify. It feels clean by not stripped. BUT when i don't do the oil pre-poo, my hair feels like frickin straw afterwards

sithembile

I did this when I got a BKT because I was so scared of being too stripped, but normally I just clarify then do my treatments.

RosesBlack

Nope I do that too. Otherwise my hair is a hot tangled crispy mess. I like my hair extra moisturized before clarifying especially a couple of more delicate areas.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother, cos like someone mentioned already, clarifying is meant to remove everything from the hair, so using any extra product in the hair just before as a pre poo just seems a bit of a waste. Fair enough if you really want to do it, but I find that deep conditioning after clarifying will restore the moisture and suppleness to the stipped hair anyway, and maybe even better because it can penetrate a clean state better. Just my two pence :yep: