Indirect Heat

Monaleezza

Today I have ordered my first hood drier, I'm excited about it. I've never owned one before and only ever used one at the salon, but I'm hoping it revolutionises my hair maintenance routine.

So ladies...

How often do you use indirect heat?

Do you dry bone dry?

Roller set? With product or without? Which product?

Heat protections?

What are your results?

I don't have a hooded dryer, I'm saving up, but I use a soft bonnet attachment on my handheld. I bought it with the intent of using it only when needed, but lately that has been every week. When I started I probably used the attachment at most once a month.
No heat protectant, just oil to seal just like I was air drying. I would let my hair air dry as long as possible (from the time I finished styling in the late evening Saturday overnight into Sunday afternoon. I'd use my hairdryer and bonnet attachment for maybe 30 - 45 minutes on a low speed switching between low and medium heat and finish with cool shot) I'd keep my twists/knots in until I got up to go to work Sunday night.
Results: no frizz, smooth totally dry take down. I didn't see any excess split ends or change in my curl pattern. I went to my stylist and she reported no extra damage as well.

Lately I've been using my attachment almost every week when I wash. Same products but if I have somewhere to go on Saturday night I skip the air dry step and go straight to the heat.
Result: My hair never seems to fully dry due to lack of time, and I refuse to use high heat and/or speed to compensate for that. So my take downs do have some frizz. Since using indirect heat more often I have not been back to see my stylist. I haven't seen/felt anything unusual though. I was offered a chance to be a hair model for a salon so I'm supposed to get my hair done on Monday or Wednesday. I'll see what they say about the state of my hair (though they're not familiar with my head as my current stylist is)

I have a heating cap but I don't really use it anymore I prefer deep conditioning over night now I only use my hc when the condish specifically states heat is needed

I use the hooded drier to dry my hair in the colder months it never damaged , weights it down rather than make it "poofy" like a blow drier would . i also use it to DC in the winter ..

Also air drying can cause cervical arthrosis later on in life.

Last edited:
I use the hooded drier to dry my hair in the colder months it never damaged , weights it down rather than make it "poofy" like a blow drier would . i also use it to DC in the winter ..

Umm excuse me, but what? Did you just make that up? :perplexed

How often do you use indirect heat? Everytime after washing my hair

Do you dry bone dry? Yes

Roller set? With product or without? Which product? Yes, with product, Infusium leave-in

Heat protections? No

What are your results? Good,

WTH? :perplexed:perplexed

I've only used it to DC twice in the last year or so. I REALLY like the relaxation I get from it, but I don't use it to dry my hair anymore. At this point in my hair journey I'm so low maintenance I just put on a scarf and clip it up until it's dry. I style by cross wrapping or putting in flexi rods or satin covered rollers before bed. I'm 100% health and length focused now.

How often do you use indirect heat?
When: for roller setting
How often: just whenever I'm up for roller setting

Do you dry bone dry?
Yes

Roller set? With product or without? Which product?
Heat protections?
What are your results?

LHCF blog entry

Back