Intrusive Thoughts & Scrupulosity

AlwaysNatural

For many years, I've suffered with intrusive thoughts. It's very hard to explain to people because the thoughts are usually very blasphemous and as a result I believe I will become cursed if I say them aloud. I believe God will not hold me accountable for them because they are out of my control and even feared getting baptized because I kept having this recurring scene of me blaspheming God/Jesus while being baptized. Ive had prayers over me, holy water poured on me, claimed the blood, had pastors and group prayer done on me. Said all the chants, trying to counter it and even believed or sometimes believe I am possessed. I know it is a mind problem however and not possession, led by anxiety. I decided to just live with it.

But today on google 2hrs ago while typing in some key words tried to see if I could find any stories of other people having this problem and I finally know what this illness which is a form of OCD is called. It is called Scrupulosity. When i tried telling some people about it in the beginning they manipulated my cry for help into trying to make me believe somehow it is my fault when i humbly tried to explain and that I need to just get baptized and it will all stop not realizing that my anxious reaction is that some how I will blaspheme God and be cursed for life. I've had this problem since about 13 I am now 18 going on 19. Some have laughed at me about it both athiest and christian when i've broken down about it in my early adolescent years and since then after that i stopped talking about it. I would have triggers however when people swore.

While reading a site where people were giving their testimonies, this excerpt really caught me. I was not expecting anyone to have had this problem or situation occur to them too but this also happened to me!:

I’ve just turned 20, and I remember the first time I had these thoughts. I was about 12 or 13. After a family friend told me about the unforgivable sin, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, my mind kept making me think such sentences as, “The Holy Spirit is from the Devil,” “Jesus is of the Devil,” and so on. Horrified, I thought for sure that I had just signed my spiritual death certificate, condemning myself to hell. I cried almost uncontrollably. I finally confessed to my dad what I was thinking and he assured me that it was something called intrusive thoughts. Above anything in the world, my biggest fear is being unforgiven by God. I now realize that it is precisely because this is my greatest fear that I found myself repeatedly thinking the worst possible thoughts.

- http://www.net-burst.net/guilty/religious-obsessive-compulsive-disorder.htm

Here some sites also explaining what it is and some of the symptoms:

http://www.beyondocd.org/index.php/clergy/scrupulosity/

http://suite101.com/article/an-examination-of-scrupulosity-a136507

I thank God for revealing this to me, because I sometimes blame myself i've always felt ashamed to address it because of judgment or talk to anyone about it because people always undermine it or do not understand how this compulsive mind intrusive habit affects my life, especially in the early years.

I'm just posting this here incase anyone else suffers from this problem.

I believe it is no coincidence that I was led to this site today and I feel very relieved.

:bighug:

Darling, I'm glad you feel relieved. Have you considered seeing a therapist about the intrusive thoughts?

After googling scrupulosity for myself, I think I may have (and somewhat still do) suffer from this condition. Over the years, I have been obsessed or preoccupied with sin. Most of you have very well seen it here in this forum from the posts I have made questioning sin and salvation. It would affect my thoughts and feelings to the point where I felt guilt and felt like I was not worthy of God's grace or salvation. Because of sin, I felt like I had no faith and was a non-believer of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. No matter how hard I would try not to sin, no matter how much I believed in Jesus, no matter how many times I asked for repentance of sin, I would sin again and have that guilty unworthy feeling all over again. I can honestly say that this year, it has gotten better after God revealed to me what He is truly saying in His Word. It's still a struggle, but I fight each day against Satan's flaming arrows and snares.

Praying for you AlwaysNatural. I can't even imagine the struggle you have been through but I am glad that you found this site and that you have found something here that has helped give gain more peace about this situation. We are here to support you.

PoohBear I know you have been struggling for a long time with the sin issue. Thanks for expressing your thoughts so we can understand where you are coming from. (((HUGSS))). I pray it gets better. :bighug:

After googling scrupulosity for myself, I think I may have (and somewhat still do) suffer from this condition. Over the years, I have been obsessed or preoccupied with sin. Most of you have very well seen it here in this forum from the posts I have made questioning sin and salvation. It would affect my thoughts and feelings to the point where I felt guilt and felt like I was not worthy of God's grace or salvation. Because of sin, I felt like I had no faith and was a non-believer of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. No matter how hard I would try not to sin, no matter how much I believed in Jesus, no matter how many times I asked for repentance of sin, I would sin again and have that guilty unworthy feeling all over again. I can honestly say that this year, it has gotten better after God revealed to me what He is truly saying in His Word. It's still a struggle, but I fight each day against Satan's flaming arrows and snares.

You are not alone. You are a valuable commodity. The devil wants your soul and he will do anything to get it and make you feel as if you are separated you from the love of God.

I experience disturbing thoughts also but, after listening to pastors like Bill Winston and reading Joyce Meyer’s Battlefield of the Mind, I began to understand how to deal with it.

We, Christians, are in a battle, a real war. Although, we know who wins in the end we have to be vigilant and do our parts. We have to OPEN our mouths and speak the words of God to bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ. (2 Corinthian 10:5) When evil thoughts rise up in our minds and we don’t cast them down, we’re allowing the devil to plant his weeds. And weeds, unchecked, will invade.

Why open your mouth and confess the word of God? When you confess the Word of God, you are coming into line with it, setting yourself in agreement with it. The Bible says that with the heart you believe and with the mouth you confess. That is how faith works: You take God's Word and you speak it out. It is not just the Word, though, but the Word mixed with faith, that is effective and powerful.

Meditate on the word of God and speak it. Find a Christian Counselor/ therapist. Above all know that God is there for you, tell Him what is going on and ask for His help. God Loves You. You are the apple of His eye.

You are in my prayers.:rosebud:

:bighug: :bighug: Loveyou, Poohbear!!!

The very fact that you are worried about having committing the unforgiveable sin means you have not committed it. You are already under His protection because of your faith. . Satan wants you to feel as if you are not worthy. This is spiritual warfare.

Romans 8:38-39
"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,m neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. "

This is very tricky as Satan knows how humans are and has been around us a long time. Those thoughts are not your thoughts. It is so subtle you would think they are yours but they are not.

Instead of Satan saying....you are not worthy, you are worthless, depressed, etc, Satan will use the word "I".

Meditate on the word (any scripture that gives you comfort) and declare with your mouth...not in your mind that you have the righteousness of Christ and that includes clear thinking and a sound mind.

Back