Iron Deficiency and Breakage

HairBarbie

Has anyone had breakage due to anemia/iron deficiency? You took good care of your hair, babied your ends, kept it simple and balanced moisture and protein but it kept breaking.

Did taking iron pills regularly stop the breakage and did you see a huge improvement in the amount of growth you were retaining? Also did any other products help to stop breakage due to anemia?

spicypeppermint

I have! My iron levels are 10.2 when they should be between 14-16. I'm required to take 190mg of iron a day and I DO find it is helping my hair quit a bit. I have less shedding than I've had in years. Anemia does take a toll on your hair :/

I wouldn't say that the iron pills made my hair grow but I know for a fact that getting quick weaves while I was sick improved my length considerably. I believe iron pills help with breakage but not growth.

Last edited:

30something

I think what iron deficiency really does is cause your hair to shred or fall out from the root. So I don't think it causes breakage.

CTBhair

Well I was also diagnosed with anemia, and I am prescribed iron pills. However, I have never experienced hair loss. I have also never experienced any breakage before or after I was diagnosed. I think anemia effects different people in different ways. You may or may not experience the same effects. However, I know that with my multivitamin and iron pills in conjunction with my "healthy" hair regimen my hair is probably flourishing. I would say if you are prescribed the iron pills take them, but keep up with other healthy habits as well. It all helps with shedding, breakage, etc. I know that I am trying to eat healthier, drink more water, and exercise. I think all of these things combined help keep my hair healthy.

HHG and I hope you find a solution to your breakage soon. :up:

BoaterGirlKim

I don't take iron supplements because of tummy issues, but I used to religiously take a multivitamin a day - Theragran-M because it has lower iron content than most other multis but still provides 50% daily value. Then I stopped my simple vitamin regimen for a period of 2 years during which time my hair gradually broke off from shoulder length to earlobe length. When I look at old pics of myself, I can't believe how healthy my hair looked and how long it was when I barely took good care of it!

I'm convinced the big difference was regular multivitamin as well as exercise (which I also stopped), and I committed to doing both again starting last week in addition to resuming at least 6 glasses of water a day and getting more sleep - and of course, continuing LHCF tips! :)

silvergirl

i have anemia as well my levels are currently 11. but ive never experienced breakage or any hair problems due to it.

MangaManiac

I was also prescribed iron by my doctor and I have noticed a difference. The hair growing in now seems to be thicker and stronger. My edges and other places that didn't seem to grow all the well also started come in. I think I was losing hair from the root there and the iron just kept them there and growing. I haven't, however, noticed any increased growth.

HairBarbie

I don't think that iron pill will increase growth, I meant that it'll increase growth retention.

Thanks for the input everyone. I've being taking a multivitamin that has iron in it for a week now and have already noticed a reduction in breakage and an increase in energy. I've decided to get the 65mg one and see how that one works too. It does have its side effects though, but its worth it.

shunemite

Just a short warning. Multi-vitamin is fine. But before taking straight up iron pills, get your blood checked by a doctor (like the previous posters). Iron overload poisoning will cook your liver.

*Muffin*

OMG...Could this be the reason why my hair is acting up? I'm telling you, no matter what I do my hair has been feeling soft and brittle. I'm anemic and recently, like a dummy, I started taking a multi-vitamin that lacks iron. Not only have I been feeling super tired, but my hair is suffering.

shunemite

OMG...Could this be the reason why my hair is acting up? I'm telling you, no matter what I do my hair has been feeling soft and brittle. I'm anemic and recently, like a dummy, I started taking a multi-vitamin that lacks iron. Not only have I been feeling super tired, but my hair is suffering.
You might be on to something. Your body might be telling you something.

There are about 4 different types of anemia. 1 type is iron-deficiency anemia, the other kinds are not. Iron deficiency is the most common type, so if you were to guess which kind you have, if you're a female under 50 (pre-menopause), it's probably iron deficiency. But also very important for women is calcium. Some of us have so little calcium that our bones are suffering and luckily our hair alerts us that something's wrong. If you take a multi-vitamin for women like "women's One-a-day", even the generic CVS/ Walgreens/ Walmart brand, it should have a good balance of calcium and iron in MODERATE SAFE doses. If that still doesn't help, definitely get your blood checked. Another reason for fatigue and hair falling out is thyroid problems. Oprah had thyroid problems for the longest and she had no clue. She was so tired and a little depressed.

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of getting to the root of the problem..... :yep:

*Muffin*

You might be on to something. Your body might be telling you something.

There are about 4 different types of anemia. 1 type is iron-deficiency anemia, the other kinds are not. Iron deficiency is the most common type, so if you were to guess which kind you have, if you're a female under 50 (pre-menopause), it's probably iron deficiency. But also very important for women is calcium. Some of us have so little calcium that our bones are suffering and luckily our hair alerts us that something's wrong. If you take a multi-vitamin for women like "women's One-a-day", even the generic CVS/ Walgreens/ Walmart brand, it should have a good balance of calcium and iron in MODERATE SAFE doses. If that still doesn't help, definitely get your blood checked. Another reason for fatigue and hair falling out is thyroid problems. Oprah had thyroid problems for the longest and she had no clue. She was so tired and a little depressed.

As you can see, I'm a huge fan of getting to the root of the problem..... :yep:

Thanks for the insight. I found out I had a form of anemia when I was hospitalized at 16 due to gallstones. The doctor did blood work on me and told me I had "weird" shaped blood cells, saying that my blood cells are smaller than what they should be. He recommended that I take iron supplements, and they helped a lot. I used to get tired a lot and craved meat and oranges all the time (I recently found out that meat has iron and oranges have vitamin c, which increases iron absorbtion). I stopped taking my iron supplements and switched to a supplement that lacked iron (because I read that iron overload is bad for your liver), and I've been feeling so tired. I slept for 11 hours last night, and I still woke up feeling tired. And my hair has been tangly and brittle, not how it usually is. So something is definitely up, and the only thing I have changed in my routine is not taking iron. Before that I felt great. I also have to make sure I'm getting calcium and vitamin c in as well.

Last edited:

shunemite

Thanks for the insight. I found out I had a form of anemia when I was hospitalized at 16 due to gallstones. The doctor did blood work on me and told me I had "weird" shaped blood cells, saying that my blood cells are smaller than what they should be. I used to get tired a lot and craved meat and oranges all the time (I recently found out that meat has iron and oranges have vitamin c, which increases iron absorbtion). For some reason I stopped taking my iron supplements and switched to a supplement that lacked iron (because I read that iron overload is bad for your liver), and I've been feeling so tired. I slept for 11 hours last night, and I still woke up feeling tired. And my hair has been tangly and brittle, not how it usually is. So something is definitely up, and the only thing I have changed in my routine is not taking iron. Before that I felt great.

I'm glad you got through the gallstones. Iron overload is bad for your liver, but you won't get iron overload if your blood levels are checked and you're prescribed the appropriate amount. Also, you won't get overload from an over the counter multi-vitamin, no can do. Prescription iron pills have waaaaay more iron in them.

I think that after your blood levels come back to normal, you'll notice your hair breakage will stop. I'd say thank your hair for letting you know something is amiss.

Cxshortie

I am taking the walgreens brand iron pills, my dr just upped me to 3 a day for four weeks, then slide back to 2 for week 5 and then week 6 I go back to the dr to see where my levels are, I was in the high 8's last time. She said either I take three for hte next four weeks or go to the hospital and get 5 injections. I was doing good with remembering to take my iron pills and then a few nights ago, I took them right before dinner and my stomach was messed up until the following morning.

My breakage has been so out of control, but hopefully after a while with more iron in my system, it slows down.

*Muffin*

I'm glad you got through the gallstones. Iron overload is bad for your liver, but you won't get iron overload if your blood levels are checked and you're prescribed the appropriate amount. Also, you won't get overload from an over the counter multi-vitamin, no can do. Prescription iron pills have waaaaay more iron in them.

I think that after your blood levels come back to normal, you'll notice your hair breakage will stop. I'd say thank your hair for letting you know something is amiss.

You are so right. If it hadn't been for this abnormal breakage and shedding, I would have never known. I just did some research on WebMd on symptoms of iron-deficiency anemia, and 4 were headaches, chronic fatigue, heart palpitations, and insomnia, all of which I have been experiencing to a painful degree. So ladies, if you are experiencing ANY abnormal symptoms, don't ignore them. Please get your blood checked because your body could be giving you signals to underlying problems. Stay healthy :).

Last edited:

30something

I think what iron deficiency really does is cause your hair to shred or fall out from the root. So I don't think it causes breakage.

I said this because along time ago I thought iron would help my breakage. It didn't improve it at all, this was way before my hair journey tho. It did reduce the amount of shedding.

*Muffin*

Just started taking spirulina. Anyone taking this to get daily dose of iron?

I take spirulina. I only take the recommended serving amount, which is one teaspoon daily, and it did absolutely nothing for me iron-wise. I'd probably have to take more of it to get iron benefits. The whole reason I stopped taking iron was because I was told spirulina contains iron and I didn't want to have iron overload, but I guess my body requires more iron than what spirulina has to offer.

Lady Esquire

I have anemia problems, always have. And I agree that it can cause shedding, which it does for me. And the shed hairs get caught in the ends, tangle, and causes breakage. Usually I can handle it, but amplified with postpartum shedding, it wreaks utter havoc.

I'm not good at taking pills consistently. However, there are periods when I'm super focused on my vitamins, I take iron, garlic and saw palmetto. All three are known for preventing shedding and hair loss. These work when I am serious about daily intake.

I have been planning on buying a blood builder (stronger iron) and some Shen Min DHT blocker, to help fill up my edges. As a topical, I want to try cinnamon oil, mixed with rosemary oil, to tighten the scalp. Also, as a topical on the strands, I've been meaning to buy MSM powder and mixing it in a bottle with water and vegetable glycerin...and maybe switch to taking MSM orally in a powder form as opposed to the pills.

SweetSpirit86

I'm anemic and take iron supplements, but I've never experienced hair loss when my levels got low or anything. To be fair, I had my lowest levels when I was pregnant. My hair did seem thinner, but I never noticed any breakage, or hair loss...if anything, it grew waaaaay faster.