Anemia and Hair Growth

RainyDaze

I have suffered from anemia for the past 20 years. I have been trying to take iron supplements on a regular basis for several years now, but it has not been working too well. I have tried so many different brands, but I am currently using (off and on) on old stand-by Feosol. Before that, I was using Hema-Plex by Natures Plus but they changed the packaging. The blister packaging can now be easily punctured and it was a problem when I used to carry the packs in my purse.

I have not noticed any slow hair growth, but I always have had problems with dryness and breakage. My hair has also thinned out alot over the past several years, but I'm not sure if it's from the anemia or using lye relaxers. It could be a combination of both.

yodie

My levels are:
Hemoglobin - 11.6
Ferritin - 49
Iron total - 83
Doc says that my ferritin and iron levels are normal. Are my numbers low enough to supplement?
I am usually one of those very cold people, sluggish and I don't eat red meat, but I have to sneak in a piece of liver every now and then to increase my energy levels. I'm usually constipated. ugh! Iron pills constipate me. I'd consider taking Floradix. Oh, my edges and nape have been short/thin/broken since 7th grade and I'm in my mid 30's. Sometimes I can hardly get out of the bed in the morning, but my energy has been better since taking chlorella.

I just started taking chlorella again. Is that enough to increase my levels? Is it okay to take chlorella, a hair vitamin and possibly Floradix?

Thanks

Last edited:

Aggie

Have anyof you ladies considered your bloodtype? I'm an O+ so if I don'teatmeat, my body gets out of wack. Look up your blood type and see which foods are best for you!
My blood type is also O+ and I have to have meat in my diet. I feel really weird when I don't have it. I get extra tired and my body becomes almost non-functional. So I totally understand about your body feeling out of sorts.

Anyway, I am also anemic and I find that along with my iron supplements, I have to take a good B-Complex vitamin and it must be at least B-50 or B-100 to feel adequate. There is a tremendous difference in my hair growth when I take my B vitmains. When I don't, my hair suffers terribly by thinning out from major breakage.

Last edited:

ms.blue

You need to clarify whether the number stated was an iron level or your hemoglobin level. The ranges stated were for hemoglobin, which tells you if you are anemic. 16.8 is a normal hemoglobin level but a low iron level. Reference ranges for iron 76-198 µg/dL (Male) and 26-170 µg/dL (Female)

I'm going back to my doctor next month and have her explain to me because I'm confused.

NicWhite

My levels are:
Hemoglobin - 11.6
Ferritin - 49
Iron total - 83
Doc says that my ferritin and iron levels are normal. Are my numbers low enough to supplement?
I am usually one of those very cold people, sluggish and I don't eat red meat, but I have to sneak in a piece of liver every now and then to increase my energy levels. I'm usually ALWAYS constipated. ugh! Iron pills constipate me. I'd consider taking Floradix. Oh, my edges and nape have been short/thin/broken since 7th grade and I'm in my mid 30's. Sometimes I can hardly get out of the bed in the morning, but my energy has been better since taking chlorella.

I just started taking chlorella again. Is that enough to increase my levels? Is it okay to take chlorella a hair vitamin and possibly Floradix?

Thanks

Floradix works very well. My hemoglobin went from 7.3 - 9.0 in 4 weeks of using it twice a day at the recommended dose on the bottle. I just started spirulina and chlorella 2 weeks ago.

If you decide to take Chlorella and Floradix be sure to have your Hemoglobin, Ferritin, Iron repeated regularly. It is dangerous to have too much iron. It can damage the liver. You still have room for improvement but please be careful not to over do it.

Considering the symptoms you have, you may also need to have your thyroid, vitamin B-12 checked, if you have not done so already. It can be done with a simple blood test. Talk to you doctor about it.

yodie

Thanks.
I probably need to check my thyroid. My B12 is 1621. Doc says thats high.

Floradix works very well. My hemoglobin went from 7.3 - 9.0 in 4 weeks of using it twice a day at the recommended dose on the bottle. I just started spirulina and chlorella 2 weeks ago.

If you decide to take Chlorella and Floradix be sure to have your Hemoglobin, Ferritin, Iron repeated regularly. It is dangerous to have too much iron. It can damage the liver. You still have room for improvement but please be careful not to over do it.

Considering the symptoms you have, you may also need to have your thyroid, vitamin B-12 checked, if you have not done so already. It can be done with a simple blood test. Talk to you doctor about it.

iri9109

i'm anemic...idk my blood type...idk how it affects my hair b/c when i was diagnosed i had a relaxer and wasnt concerned about hair that much, and havent noticed a difference in my natural hair now and when my iron levels are high vs. low b/c my iron levels are always low... i havent taken my prescription iron pills in over a year (i know, sad)...i plan on revamping my vitamin regi and i definitely want to include iron...one reason i could never stick w/ my iron was the stomach effects, but i heard blood builder by mega foods is a good supplement b/c its food based, though im not sure if it would be enough...i dont remember the amount i was prescribed but i think it was more than what would be available in normal supplements...im switching doctors so when i visit my new one i'll have him order my bloodwork and then see what he prescribes...i dont have shedding/ breakage issues now and my hair grows over the avg of .5 inches a month so i can only imagine how my hair would be if my iron levels were on track...i definitely am always tired and have issues focusing...and i also have mennorrhagia/ irregular cycles with extremely long and heavy flows

Ballerina_Bun

My iron level was normal, but the saturation level/% was really low, so they have me taking 300mg 2x’s a day.

I don’t know how it is affecting my hair, but I can say that it seems as though it has grown faster before. So, it will be interesting to see how taking the iron will help my hair and other things as well.

OP: thanks for starting this thread!

TLC1020

I've taken this liquid and I did until I ran out... How long would one take this?

I take the iron tablets once daily which has 260 tablets which turns out to be a little more than 8 months....

I had low iron and my Doc reccommended this:

Rather than the tabs and it drove up my iron very quick. The liquid formulas or sachets are better for me.

yodie

Bumping. How are you ladies doing with the iron supplements? I'd like to try floradix, but it's quite expensive. Has anyone tried a good pill supplement that DID NOT constipate you?

Nasdaq_Diva

Bumping. How are you ladies doing with the iron supplements? I'd like to try floradix, but it's quite expensive. Has anyone tried a good pill supplement that DID NOT constipate you?

Thought I'd dig this thread back up. Didn't know you left this question. Well, for me what's been helping me the most is taking spirulina (and chlorella) regularly. I got my blood work back a little while back and every level was in the healthy ranges :woot:

I've personally never had an issue w/ iron pills as long as I ate lots of veggies and drank water. If I were going to go the supplement route, I'd look into Garden of Life

Cxshortie

I am taking a blood builder and an iron pill. I started seeing a hematologist for anemia in September and in October, I started the first of my 3 rounds of iron treatments, I did 3 rounds of 4 injections and now my iron levels are up, but my hemoglobin at my last appt was 10.6. So I have to be retested in a few days to see if my levels have come up.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
My levels dropped again...I had just got them up to 11.4 which is still not great but was a personal high for me...now they're back to 8.6...so this thread just reminded me to pop that green pill. **le sigh**

Janet'

Since being regular with my vitamins, I haven't had a problem with my anemia...but I know that I have been dealing with anemia off and on for about 15 years...

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Thanks for starting this thread OP. I am anemic and have been for as long as I can remember. I was only recenty prescribed irons pills and I am taking them 1x per day, down from 2x a day since my last results showed that my levels had improved.

I keep my pills in the fridge where I can see them so that I remember to take it daily :yep:. To help with constipation (tmi, i know) I eat a diet rich in fresh fruit. I usually make mango salads, eat bowls of strawberry, and keep lots of grapes handy. This helps me to keep my system on track.

Right now I am sporting a TWA. Had to cut due to low iron, post partum shedding and doing too many bad things to my hair. My hair is usually dry, but products high in glycerine work well for me.

I have vowed to make my health my #1 priority in 2011.

TLC1020

I was also told numbers similiar to those listed below, however for women with healthy growing hair the levels are a little bit higher, levels should be between:

Normal iron level -------- 40-200ng per liter
Healthy Hair iron level ------- 70-200ng per liter

Now that my levels are on track I can definitely tell my hair is back healthy and thick as before. I forgot to take pictures before I got the front re-braided on 12/20/10. This week I make 20 wks post and I have so much new growth that I could have relax but chose not to as my hair grows the fastest in the crown and less in the back so I want to have a nice amount of new growth in the back before I relax..

I can definitely say that my iron levels increased my growth b/c iron is apart of your immune system which affect many parts of your body (lungs, kidneys). As soon as I begin taking the iron supplements... boom I got pregnant that same month with my dd..... Had been trying 8-9mths prior to...

So ladies take very good care of your body.... It will thank you for it....

My doc told me the healthy ranges are between 12-15. You don't want it lower or higher. Also found a good link too Anemia FAQs of Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis and Treatment | NAAC National Anemia Action Council

Mild @ 9.5 - 13
Moderate @ 8.0-9.5
Severe @ <8.0

Last edited:

godsflowerrr

I am Anemic.... have been for a few years. Hb was a 6! (should be 12-16). I do take iron and my Hb has been rising. I wasn't taking iron religiously until recently. I also love liver....so I have been eating it more often. It hasn't really affected my growth / length retention...at least I haven't noticed it. If you take magnesium daily with your iron you will not be constipated. Mg is great for your your blood pressure also.

Nasdaq_Diva

My levels dropped again...I had just got them up to 11.4 which is still not great but was a personal high for me...now they're back to 8.6...so this thread just reminded me to pop that green pill. **le sigh**

What does your diet look like? What green pill are you taking?

NicWhite

Just wanted to clarify that:

Hgb only shows whether or not you are anemic (there are many reasons, other than low iron, that can cause anemia) This number by itself does not tell you what kind of anemia you have.
Normal Hgb (Hemoglobin) is 12-15.

The ferritin shows how much iron is stored in your liver. This number tells the doctor if your anemia is caused from having a low iron.

Normal hair growth: ferritin level -------- 40-200ng per liter
Hair regrowth: ferritin level ------- 70-200ng per liter

Taking Vitamin C with iron helps to absorb the iron better.

Last edited:

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
What does your diet look like? What green pill are you taking?

My diet is horrible. I rarely eat, and when I do, its always snack foods like: chips, soda, cookies, crackers (things with no nutritional value). I don't skip meals intentionally, I just don't feel hungry so I don't eat. But I've signed up for the whole foods challenge starting 1-1-11 and I'm hoping I can hang with it and eat better. Not trying to lose weight for the challenge because I'm pretty small already, but more-so because I need to eat better.

And the pill I'm taking is called Ferro Sequel I believe. When I'm out of these I'm going to try the Slow Fe kind.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Update: These Ferro Sequels suck...constipation central. But in better news, my diet has improved. I have been eating a lot more vegetables--broccoli, spinach, collard greens, cauliflower, asparagus, corn. And I haven't drunk soda in over a week. Go me! **Cabbage Patch Dance**

DragonPearl

Have anyof you ladies considered your bloodtype? I'm an O+ so if I don'teatmeat, my body gets out of wack. Look up your blood type and see which foods are best for you!

I'm O+ also, and I kinda have that problem too.

I'm O+ too...thank you! :)

I am O+ too, and after 15+ years of vegetarianism/veganism, I have gone back to eating some kind of animal flesh, mostly fish, occasionally chicken, once in a blue moon beef or pork. O blood types do NOT do well long term on vegetarian foods.

DragonPearl

Please don't start popping iron pills until you are sure (as in blood test results sure) that you have iron deficiency anemia... There are different kinds of anemia, and if your anemia is not iron deficiency and you start popping iron pills, you will end up with toxic levels of iron which is not good for your heart.

TLC1020

I'm not sure where my levels are right now but I have a doctor appt later this month and will post my blood levels at that time...

BraunSugar

I got some blood work done & my OB/GYN informed me that I am anemic. I'd always suspected I was, even before I got pregnant. I've had many symptoms of iron deficiency but now I know what's up. I'm going to pick up some iron this weekend in addition to taking my prenatals.

destine2grow

I am O+ too, and after 15+ years of vegetarianism/veganism, I have gone back to eating some kind of animal flesh, mostly fish, occasionally chicken, once in a blue moon beef or pork. O blood types do NOT do well long term on vegetarian foods.

DragonPearl I am also O+. I just had a bloot transfusion in April. This thread is very helpful!

destine2grow

I have been anemic all my life. I don't know my levels but I take ferrous sulphate once a day. I used to take it twice a day but it caused constipation so I stopped. I also eat ALOT of iron rich foods and have been doing so since I was a little girl. I also noticed when I stopped eating beef (mainly liver) I would feel worse so I went back to it. My hair has not suffered but I am always cold and always tired. I recommend incorporating much more iron-rich foods in your diet and cooking with a cast iron pan. My korean teacher me that the pan REALLY made a difference after many Korean women became anemic. They figured out the reason was because many people stopped cooking with cast iron pans and once those pans became popular again, the prevalence of anemic decreased. My aunt confirmed this as well. I haven't gotten one yet because I always forget but you should get one.
LaFemmeNaturelle this is interesting. Now I need to get me an cast iron pan.

On another note I don't have constipation when I take SlowFe Iron pills. My hemoglobin has been as low as six and when I left the hospital on 4/8/11 my iron level was only 25 and that was after 2 units of blood. I had hemmorage after having my baby and had a blood clot of 14lbs. The doctor and the nurse was luck I was alive. I lost a lot of blood and that was not my first blood transfuison. I am really trying hard to get my aneima under control. I just get so frustrated because even when I take my pills like I should my levels go up and down. They never are consistent.

drappedup

I've been anemic since I was 5 or 6. I can't donate blood either.

I used to take iron pills when I was younger, but stopped once I started living on my own. :lol: I should start taking them again, though....

Maybe this is the cause of my constant breakage? Hmmmm....