Is all heat equal???

winterinatl

All natural!
Does the type of flat iron we use make a difference in the level of damage while flatironing?

We know that of course rollersetting is much healthier for your hair than blow drying...but I am referring to flat irons/ironing.

I just returned from Sally's with a new flat iron. It is Nano technology with silver and tourmaline and all that jazz. Dubbed as conditioning, frizz eliminating.

There were many types of irons. And I began to wonder; Does all this technology even matter? I mean, no matter how many features it has, is it still damaging because of the heat? Or do you think that it's just not AS damaging, with all the features (ceramics, tourmaline, nano tech, silver, titanium, wet/dry)?

What say you?

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
That's an interesting question, I would like to know also. Ladies???

Last edited:

meaganita

I recently flat ironed my hair with one of those fancy-shmancy flat irons, and my hair felt drier than it does when flat ironed with the marcel oven & irons my stylist uses. My hair always comes out super soft when she does it, and she practically sets my hair on fire. But I even used a heat protectant and my hair is still recovering.:ohwell: Perhaps it's more in the technique rather than the technology.....

curlcomplexity

formerly qtslim83
I don't think it is:nono: which stinks b/c used to use the heck out of my flat iron! My hair feels a lot thicker and moisturized when I rollerset, but it takes longer. Flat ironing, makes my hair stick straight, but it's limp and dry.

♦K.O♦

I think that ceramic/tourmaline plates are LESS damaging to the hair. They distribute heat evenly throughout the flat iron plate(s), so you wont have hot spots and random damaged spots down the shaft.

Artemis

I think that ceramic/tourmaline plates are LESS damaging to the hair. They distribute heat evenly throughout the flat iron plate(s), so you wont have hot spots and random damaged spots down the shaft.

I agree. Also, the heat emited from these generators (ceramic, tourmaline, etc) is produced quicker, so add that to the even heat that is dispersed throught the tool, and you really should only have to go over the hair once, and at a lower temp than the old school irons. Oh, and the ionic and infrared technology is not only retaining more the hair's own moisture within the strand, but is also zapping microbial bacteria on the hair. Once for kicks I googled infrared heat and found that scientists and medical personnel are using it to help treat cancer patients who go through chemo and radiation and all that. Infrared heat zaps the bad cells, but leaves the good cells alone. I dunno how they do it, but they do... :look:

ETA: Provided one is using a product that has a compound of heat protectors (not just one type) and is using a reasonable temp, the hair should not be damaged at all using ceramic/tourmaline tools...:yawn:

Last edited: