is being natural doing more harm than good?

nappity

All the several times weekly co-washing and deep conditioning, and daily moisturizing you are doing would be entirely too much manipulation for my hair, even if it is in cornrows. Your hair shrinks and expands and shrinks and expands as you wet it and let it dry and wet it and let it dry. That can lead to massive tangling when you remove the cornrows. And then you have the brittleness that results from daily washing out of products--even if your hair feels good immediately after deep conditioning, the frequency with which you do it can compromise the hair's structure and lead to wear and tear over time. If you are having difficulty, you might want to look into leaving your hair alone more. Also, I have not worn cornrows in a couple of years now because they pull out more hair than they help me retain, and the process of cornrowing my hair is very traumatic and results in breakage sooner or later, even when the breaking is not immediately obvious.

I agree with the above statement. Under no circumstances do I wash my hair in cornrows- Its too much expansion and shrinkage. Imagine putting an antique lace veil in a fes knots along its length and keep exposing it to constant moisture- It'll dry rot cause it hasn't had a chance to air out. I only wash my hair if I'm in individual braids. I don't even wash my hair twisted- I'm afraid I cant get all of the products out of all the kinks and coils. This buildup as well as the hair not having any "give" is a recipe for the shedding. The rest of your regimen looks fine- Do it on loose hair- buy some banana clips to part your hair into separate sections of your hair if the density is too overwhelming. I have to separate my hair into sixths. The washing in cornrows is not a good idea. HTH

santwon

I think heat will help smooth out my cuticle and help with eliminating a majority of the tangles. I co-wash and dc because my hair is naturally super dry. It seems to like it. I am doing the dc often just through the winter months because if this heat thats on in my house is drying out my skin I know it is doing the same for my hair. As far as too soft hair, i make sure I balance my protein and moisture.

I think what happened earlier today is that I panicked and had a mini-melt down about my hair. It has been doing wonderful but I fear screwing it up and going back to where I was. I blew it out ( I never do this) to see it straight and give me a different perspective and all it is IMO is that since I don't comb during the week, it seems overwhelming when I do

Ahh, okay. Thanks for that. I think you've been given some very good help, support, and information though. But we DO feel you on those mini-melt downs. :grin: It comes with having hair. And I checked out your photos online, you seem to be doing great! It looks very healthy from what I could see.

I think all of us worry about getting our routines right and trying to make sure that it's healthy and that we don't either repeat our own mistakes or fall into some of the problems that other have/do. It's perfectly natural.

Personally, I'd rather fight the tangles for 5 days straight than to have to go back to my old beautician. I say take a deep breath and keep moving, sister!!

sonce

I think what happened earlier today is that I panicked and had a mini-melt down about my hair. It has been doing wonderful but I fear screwing it up and going back to where I was.
This is totally normal and understandable. :yep: As you perfect your regimen over time, you'll worry less. Just be patient and listen to your hair. If it is breaking, shedding, knotting and tangling, look to your regimen. Hair does not grow out damaged or tangled, so I've found that it is what we do to it that we should focus on when we are having difficulties.

sonce

I agree with the above statement. Under no circumstances do I wash my hair in cornrows- Its too much expansion and shrinkage. Imagine putting an antique lace veil in a fes knots along its length and keep exposing it to constant moisture- It'll dry rot cause it hasn't had a chance to air out.
Yup. :yep:

I only wash my hair if I'm in individual braids. I don't even wash my hair twisted- I'm afraid I cant get all of the products out of all the kinks and coils.
Same here. :yep:

This buildup as well as the hair not having any "give" is a recipe for the shedding. The rest of your regimen looks fine- Do it on loose hair- buy some banana clips to part your hair into separate sections of your hair if the density is too overwhelming. I have to separate my hair into sixths. The washing in cornrows is not a good idea. HTH
:yep: Using sections is what I do too and it works really well. I use more sections when my hair feels tangled and less when it is smooth.

Incredible1ne

I wish I would have read this before Saturday. I went out and texturized on Saturday :ohwell: I was having the same issues as the OP. Thanks for your post nappity4B. I never would have thought washing in cornrows would do harm to my hair, I did that ALL the time.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I believe my hair is healthier natural, but I lack the knowledge to care for it well. I relaxed it and I feel it could be just as healthy relaxed. I know how to care for and style my relaxed hair. As a natural, I couldn't do anything to it.:blush: My hair became hard and it shed horribly. If you know how to take care of your natural hair, your natural hair is better off.

AvaSpeaks

If you know how to take care of your natural hair, your natural hair is better off.

This couldn't be further from the truth. I totally know so many people that have healthy natural or relaxed hair just because they know how to take care of it.

Whereas I see alot of naturals that have their hair the same length for years, and think "that's just our hair, it stays short".

Before LCHF, I lost many inches to bad hair care practices as a natural. Being Natural does not automatically mean that your hair will be easier to maintain. And I'm really talking about the Type 4 hair textures and up.

Bigghair

When you wear your hair in its natural state you must treat it wayyyyy different than if it is straight. Once you figure out the dos and don'ts for your hair you can successfully obtain and retain the length you desire.:grin:

nappity

I wish I would have read this before Saturday. I went out and texturized on Saturday :ohwell: I was having the same issues as the OP. Thanks for your post nappity4B. I never would have thought washing in cornrows would do harm to my hair, I did that ALL the time.

Any time sweetie- The only way we can meet our challenges in together. Glad to be able to give some input:grin:

tt8

Ahh, okay. Thanks for that. I think you've been given some very good help, support, and information though. But we DO feel you on those mini-melt downs. :grin: It comes with having hair. And I checked out your photos online, you seem to be doing great! It looks very healthy from what I could see.

I think all of us worry about getting our routines right and trying to make sure that it's healthy and that we don't either repeat our own mistakes or fall into some of the problems that other have/do. It's perfectly natural.

Personally, I'd rather fight the tangles for 5 days straight than to have to go back to my old beautician. I say take a deep breath and keep moving, sister!!

Thank you so much for that shoulder. At first when I writing this post I thought to myself I hope I am not sent to natural exile for airing my frustrations.

tt8

I agree with the above statement. Under no circumstances do I wash my hair in cornrows- Its too much expansion and shrinkage. Imagine putting an antique lace veil in a fes knots along its length and keep exposing it to constant moisture- It'll dry rot cause it hasn't had a chance to air out. I only wash my hair if I'm in individual braids. I don't even wash my hair twisted- I'm afraid I cant get all of the products out of all the kinks and coils. This buildup as well as the hair not having any "give" is a recipe for the shedding. The rest of your regimen looks fine- Do it on loose hair- buy some banana clips to part your hair into separate sections of your hair if the density is too overwhelming. I have to separate my hair into sixths. The washing in cornrows is not a good idea. HTH

Nappity and Sonce
It seems that the cornrows coupled with the frequent co-washing might be defeating my purpose. Do you think if I scaled back my co-washes to 2x a week while in the banana clips and dc both times my shedding and tangles will subside? The reason I did the cornrows is I thought it was less manipulation (not having to un-braid and re-braid) but now I see it was manipulating my hair indirectly. I wear my hiar in cornrows as a protective style and to go under wigs if I choose for that week. They aren't tight or pulling. Is this protective style doing me more harm than good (this is the only style I've been doing for 3 months)? Should you rotate protective styling metods (a different one each week, not including buns or is it just the cornrows)

santwon

Thank you so much for that shoulder. At first when I writing this post I thought to myself I hope I am not sent to natural exile for airing my frustrations.

Oh no problem. I just want you and your hair to be happy. And as for the natural exile...nah, it's not even about that. :grin:

LynnieB

Hey Linnie
I most definitely have hard water. I live in Los Angeles. Thanks for the link. My hard wter showed up as bright yellow! Yikes!:spinning:

wow, tt8 glad you found out about it now i guess the next logical question would be what are/can you do about it?

there's some info floating around lhcf about hard water problems, from chelating shampoo's to shower filters to using bottled water to rinse - it goes on and on so hopefully you can find a solution that'll help!

:yep:

nappity

Nappity and Sonce
It seems that the cornrows coupled with the frequent co-washing might be defeating my purpose. Do you think if I scaled back my co-washes to 2x a week while in the banana clips and dc both times my shedding and tangles will subside? The reason I did the cornrows is I thought it was less manipulation (not having to un-braid and re-braid) but now I see it was manipulating my hair indirectly. I wear my hiar in cornrows as a protective style and to go under wigs if I choose for that week. They aren't tight or pulling. Is this protective style doing me more harm than good (this is the only style I've been doing for 3 months)? Should you rotate protective styling metods (a different one each week, not including buns or is it just the cornrows)

Sorry I havent gotten back to you
Co-washes can be done daily- some people do it But I do it every 3-5 days. Helps my hair stay moist.
Use the banana clips to keep your curls from intertwining while you wash- it cuts down on having to deal with one big mass of curls.
Cornrows are great- but done by the wrong person could lead to traction alopecia- were you lose follicles buy the constant tension on our scalp.
Our hair- though it looks strong is very delicate. Treat it with the utmost delicacy.
When you comb- If you comb- do it from the ends up and kkep your hair soaking wet in water and conditioner while you are doing it,. It helps alot.
My protective styling method has always been twists- bug small , medium- whatever i feel like doing and on my Fotki there are three different ways to wear it. I can also French braid it all into one big plait in the back. I just use twists cause for my hair they unravel easily.
Some people use single braids.
My suggestion is that you don't wash your hair while in cornrows or twists. 4abcd... hair expands and shrinks when wet. I no longer wash and go- my ends don't like it as my hair gets longer- but its a good way to low manipulate.I
Check the boards and peoples Fotkis for hair like yours. Check journals
people do write down their regimen and remember- what works for some- doesn't work for all. Don't get discouraged. You will find a way to keep your hair healthy in a way that supports your lifestyle.

DeepBluSea

Well, since we are giving advice here, let me ask a few questions. . .

I have mastered twisting and doing box braids. I like my twists, but they only last for 1 week before I start getting tangles. Now, I know what people mean about those blasted single strand knots!!!! So, before I give up on making my twists last longer, any advice?

Also, I have noticed some shedding recently. My regimen: Prepoo with Africa's best oil, Wash with CON green label every 2 weeks, Co-wash with VO5 on the alternate week, moisturize with whatever I have (tried BB growth lotion, ORS lotion, shealoe-fav so far), seal with castor oil. Any suggestions on curbing the shedding?

AvaSpeaks

When you wear your hair in its natural state you must treat it wayyyyy different than if it is straight. Once you figure out the dos and don'ts for your hair you can successfully obtain and retain the length you desire.:grin:

Like combing it straight down or brushing it all the time, like you would relaxed hair.

Also, using regular combs on our hair. I even loss hair do to picks. But now, I use a wide-tooth comb.

As far as the braids, well I don't do that. But I do some twists and I know even when I do that, I always use a conditioning leave-in while I'm twisting my hair. Some people think because it's natural, they can just twist it completely dry.