Is Flat Ironing Relaxed Hair Harmful?

Mandy4610

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A FLAT IRON, COULD YOU LADIES PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WOULD BE HARMFUL FOR ME TO FLAT IRON MY RELAXED HAIR? I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH FLAT IRONS. TIA

MizzBrown

Re: IS FLAT IRONING RELAXED HAIR HARMFUL??

If you breathe its harmful Mandy..LOL....get a flat iron. Don't overdo it, keep the right heat setting so u dont singe/damage your hair and use a heat protectant. Moderation is key..whether relaxed or natural.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

No, for the average user that uses heat appliances appropriately it will not be harmful. Just don't overdo it!!!!

Mandy4610

If you breathe its harmful Mandy..LOL....get a flat iron. Don't overdo it, keep the right heat setting so u dont singe/damage your hair and use a heat protectant. Moderation is key..whether relaxed or natural.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!PLEASE SUGGEST SOME GOOD HEAT PROTECTANTS:grin:

TaurusAngel

Yeah, i don't think its harmful. But like they said, just in moderation and using protectants. And I would get a ceramic iron.

Dposh167

Yeah, i don't think its harmful. But like they said, just in moderation and using protectants. And I would get a ceramic iron.

i completely agree. Don't get cheap with flat irons! just cuz they say ceramic doesn't mean the entire plate is. It could just be a ceramic finish on top. sometimes that finish can rub off and expose the cruddy non-ceramic plate. then u have to throw it away and get a new one. (i've learned this the hard way). true ceramic-tourmaline or better is what i suggest.

as for heat protectant, i use ion heat protectant. it's a spray

Mook's hair

I like Silk infusion by chi. and via natural cermaic enhancing products

Chi Silk Infusion is my Favorite! I love the result.

My hair does not respond well to any of the moist heat protectants. (sprays or creams). Silicones /silk are the best protectants for me.

br0wney3z

I'd like to know about heat protectants too. I've tried Chi iron guard thermal protection:nono::nono: and Bed head heat protectant:ohwell: and HATED both of them. Can you say crunch, sticky hair?!?

Moroni

I AM THINKING OF BUYING A FLAT IRON, COULD YOU LADIES PLEASE TELL ME IF IT WOULD BE HARMFUL FOR ME TO FLAT IRON MY RELAXED HAIR? I HAVE ZERO EXPERIENCE WITH FLAT IRONS. TIA

It depends on
1. how frequently you flat-iron your hair
2. how high the temperature is
3. whether you use a heat protectant
4. how many passes on the hair/how long you hold the iron on the hair

Any amount of direct heat can be damaging to your hair. I would only get my hair flat-iron at the salon after a relaxer. That even turned out to be too much, because the stylist burned my hair. You're going to have to find out what your hair can tolerate for yourself, Mandy. Some people can flat-iron almost weekly with no apparent damage. Then some of us......well, you get the picture! HTH:grin:

shtow

My iron is ceramic and ionic. Just be sure to not use the highest setting. I flat iron my hair on 281 degrees and my hair turns out better than on my one setting chi. I use the fanatasia IC heat protectant serum. I love it.

mzhotniz86

for relaxed hair , a good heat protectant is design essentials silk essentials or Chi silk infusion. both protect the hair and leave it shiny and soft , but does not weigh it down

Dposh167

for relaxed hair , a good heat protectant is design essentials silk essentials or Chi silk infusion. both protect the hair and leave it shiny and soft , but does not weigh it down

is this a spray? or something i have to pour out?

SleepyJean

My iron is ceramic and ionic. Just be sure to not use the highest setting. I flat iron my hair on 281 degrees and my hair turns out better than on my one setting chi. I use the fanatasia IC heat protectant serum. I love it.

I LOVE this heat protectant! I like it better than the Chi Silk Infusion, although it is also good. My hair comes out softer, and smells nicer with Fantasia, though. I buy the one in the blue bottle. You can get it at Walgreens if your interested. :grin:

OT: I have to get rid of my one setting Chi! :ohwell:

What does Ionic and Tourmaline mean??? I didn't want to post my question in a thread, because I thought it was too insignificant and might take up space.

Last edited:

FreeNewMe

I use kiehl's heat-protective silk straightening cream. I bought this before LHCF and b/c I was in MIA the lady recommended and I wanted to spend money.:spinning: It seems to work well, but I don't really have anything to compare it to and it's the only thing I've ever used.

What makes a good heat-protectant and how do you know if it works for you?

shtow

I use kiehl's heat-protective silk straightening cream. I bought this before LHCF and b/c I was in MIA the lady recommended and I wanted to spend money.:spinning: It seems to work well, but I don't really have anything to compare it to and it's the only thing I've ever used.

What makes a good heat-protectant and how do you know if it works for you?

I saw on Tyra that Ion helps retain moisture. I also read on here the pink bottle is actually a better heat protectant because of an ingredient that starts with a "C" (sorry the bottle is at home) lol.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I think it's fine as long as you have a heat protectant and you don't burn your hair- watch the temp you use and you should be okay. HTH:yep:

Mandy4610

Thanks ladies. I bought a flat iron, but I took it back. I am just not good at using it, I don't think I can do it:nono::nono:. With all the info yall gave me, I think I will buy a good one when I am more comfortable with it.