Is hairspray bad for hair?

Gryphyn

I bought John Frieda Frizz-Ease Moisture Barrier hairspray yesterday because it was on sale and claims to combat humidity. I figured it would be perfect while I'm on vacation in a few weeks and also in summer to help maintain my braidouts. I tried it yesterday and it did leave my hair feeling a little crispy, but not dry. I think a little coconut oil will fix that. :p

I don't see many ladies here talk about using hairspray. Is it bad for my hair?

Well, the fact that the name says moisture barrier is a red flag, I think.

Anyway here are the ingredients:
Alcohol Denat , Hydrofluorocarbon 152A , Octylacrylamide/Acrylates/Butylaminoeth Methacryla , Aminomethyl Propanol , Triethyl Citrate , PEG-75 Lanolin , Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate , Phenyl Trimethicone , Quarternium-52 , Dimethicone Copolyol , AMP-Isostearoyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate , Fragrance , Methyl Acetate

I would be afraid of that Alcohol Denat as the main ingredient. That can dry your hair out BIGTIME. Hairsprays like this are not really popular on the board, but hopefully someone will add their ideas/experiences with them. :)

A lot of hairsprays are packed with alcohol and mineral oil. I know mineral oil can clog your pores which can stunt your growth. Alcohol can dry out your hair.

I used to use hair sprays back in the day :/ and from experience it made my hair very greasy and stiff.

So mainly I just stick with serums as heat protectants if I flat iron or roller set. I use coconut oil on my hair daily. My hair feels lighter.

Last edited:
The very first thing I say to a new stylist is NO HAIR SPRAY. I personally won't subject my hair to that kind of abuse anymore. But I'm totally overbroad with my hair obsession.

It if gives you the results you want then go for it.

I have to agree that hairspray made my hair dry. I usually wash my hair once a week, but when I have hairspray in it I have to wash it the next day because my hair starts to feel sticky and I have trouble styling it.

I used to be a hairspray addict until my stylist told me it dries out hair. I had to wean myself off the stuff and even though curls/styles don't hold up well without it, my hair is much better off. In the summer I just give in to the frizz and wear twist-outs and braid-outs.

My hairdresser is a hairspray freak :ohwell: I always have to tell him No Spritz or he'll spray it on my dry hair before he flat irons...I hate how crunchy and dry my hair is after. I usually have to wash my hair the very next day, because its always a mess to comb through.

Back