Is henna REALLY a protein

bunnie82

hi ladies! I always see posts about skipping protein treatments when henna has been applied. I believe I saw the same thing about teas. But is henna REALLY a protein? Or does it just FEEL like a protein? And how is it a protein? Where did we get this info?

thank youuuu!:lick:

HanaKuroi

Copied from somewhere else.

Henna isn't protein.

Henna isn't protein but works to strengthen like protein. Henna has "tannin molecules that bind into (hair) keratin and make the fibers physically stronger like winding threads together to make a stronger string".

What I got from my earlier research is that even though Henna stengthens it won't replace protein for me as protein binds within the hair strand where Henna binds outside. So both are essential to strengthen hair but I think BOTH is the key. If you don't normally use much hard core protein then keeping up with your mild protein is essential. If you apply hard core protein treatments you may find that you only need to apply them less often while utilizing henna (luv Cassia henna). It will lengthen the time between strong protein treaments.

Eta: not my words. I was too tired to rewrite this

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

bunnie82

wow thanks HanaKuroi! Have you ever tried henna and protein the same week?

hmmm sounds like it wouldn't hurt...

Fhrizzball

Henna tends to be drying so I wouldn't do them both in the same week. When I was first tweaking my henna mix, I used to put protein filler in it and it caused me to have to up my moisture more than normal but nothing too drastic. Another option I suppose would be to do a henna gloss with a mild protein reconstructor. The best bet I would think would be to alternate your protein and henna treatments to ensure that you won't get an overload of either.

I wouldn't go too crazy with henna though as I've come to find out simple is best with it so I tend to keep my henna treatments separate from my protein treatments.

HanaKuroi

bunnie82 said:

I used to rinse my henna out with cheapie conditioners that contained protein for months not knowing any better and nothing bad happened. In fact I had less breakage.

I think the type of henna you use and what you mix into your henna is where the problems start. I find that water and henna rinses easier and adheres better. I only use BAQ henna.

The only time I had an issue with henna was when I slept in it. The smashed hair was tangly even after rinsing.

DarkJoy recommends smoothing your hair like you do when you are applying a relaxer.

I went through several months avoiding all protein even though I had no issues with henna and mild proteins. I was afraid of protein because of what i read.
I then caused moisture overload. I quickly fixed this.

I use curl junkie repair and mill creek botanicals a few times a week. Curls are springy and no "c"s in the tub.

I was a weekly henna person. For me henna did not replace protein. My curls were very elongated. The little c's happened only for a short while and was after I stopped using anything containing any protein and was using lots of moisture because it was winter. I overcompensated.

My hair loves henna and light protein.
I have not done a heavy protein before.

I think what you use is very important.

Pompous Blue

I'm a 4C-Z, very fine natural.

I believed the myth and tried substituting henna for protein; didn't work. I still needed to do hard-core protein treatments.

I did nothing but henna treatments at least 3 - 4 times a month for 9 months. My hair was stronger but I would still get these little broken pieces (1/4" to a 1/2") when I washed and/or detangled my hair.

I added hardcore protein treatments back into my regimen and no more high-volume broken pieces. I do hard-core protein treatments at least 2 times a month. (Aphogee 2-step or Dudley DRC 28)

And yes, I've done a protein treatment and a henna treatment in one week (just last week). On Friday I did a henna treatment and on Tuesday I did a hard-core protein treatment. No hardness or dryness; just moisturized, strong hair.)

Using henna and protein works for my hair. I have no problem with dryness. My moisture of choice is Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner. I sit under my hair steamer for 30 - 35 minutes. I get strong, moist hair every time. Been doing this for a year or more.

For me henna or teas have never strengthened my hair.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy recommends smoothing your hair like you do when you are applying a relaxer.

I went through several months avoiding all protein even though I had no issues with henna and mild proteins. I was afraid of protein because of what i read.
I then caused moisture overload. I quickly fixed this.
I think what you use is very important.
Yea, alladat!

I like to smooth henna because with a little tension it seems to loosen my curl pattern. I also found that starting at the crown and piling all the hair up there as you go, reduces a whole a lot of mess as my hair grows longer.

I also made the no-protein w/henna mistake. No more! Protein is a must. The last henna, I used a mediumish egg protein immediately after. Hair was like butter. However, I would NOT recommend this if after you rinse the henna, your hair feels hard. I've been lucky in that the henna I use leaves it really soft so it's not an issue.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I'm a 4C-Z, very fine natural.

I believed the myth and tried substituting henna for protein; didn't work. I still needed to do hard-core protein treatments.

I did nothing but henna treatments at least 3 - 4 times a month for 9 months. My hair was stronger but I would still get these little broken pieces (1/4" to a 1/2") when I washed and/or detangled my hair.

I added hardcore protein treatments back into my regimen and no more high-volume broken pieces. I do hard-core protein treatments at least 2 times a month. (Aphogee 2-step or Dudley DRC 28)

And yes, I've done a protein treatment and a henna treatment in one week (just last week). On Friday I did a henna treatment and on Tuesday I did a hard-core protein treatment. No hardness or dryness; just moisturized, strong hair.)

Using henna and protein works for my hair. I have no problem with dryness. My moisture of choice is Darcy's Botanicals Pumpkin Seed Conditioner. I sit under my hair steamer for 30 - 35 minutes. I get strong, moist hair every time. Been doing this for a year or more.

For me henna or teas have never strengthened my hair.
Pompous Blue--would you say that you still get a few little broke-off pieces? Not at such high volume but...? I seem to be unable to get away from some during wash time usually. It's frustrating! IDK if there's a way to stamp them out! lol

bunnie82

Okay so what i've decided to do since my hair and protein are besties, i'm gonna do a protein treatment tonight and henna on saturday....if you see an "i'm bald" update you'll know why! :lol:

Amarilles

Henna is a plant, all plant life contains protein but they (in and of themselves) aren't protein. So anytime we see plant extracts in products, they're ingredients than can act like protein depending on how much of them were used (in the product) and our sensitivity to protein.

coolsista-paris

i have. i had mixed :
-henna
-olive oil
-1 egg
-apoghee 2 min (not always )
-amla oil

i apply and smooth like à relaxer.from back to front.

it felt like à protein treatment without drying my hair.

thé oil made it feel moisturized.

my fine hair loooooves protein

Last edited:

nakialovesshoes

Yea, alladat!

I like to smooth henna because with a little tension it seems to loosen my curl pattern. I also found that starting at the crown and piling all the hair up there as you go, reduces a whole a lot of mess as my hair grows longer.

I also made the no-protein w/henna mistake. No more! Protein is a must. The last henna, I used a mediumish egg protein immediately after. Hair was like butter. However, I would NOT recommend this if after you rinse the henna, your hair feels hard. I've been lucky in that the henna I use leaves it really soft so it's not an issue.

DarkJoy What type of henna do you use?

Pompous Blue

@Pompous Blue--would you say that you still get a few little broke-off pieces? Not at such high volume but...? I seem to be unable to get away from some during wash time usually. It's frustrating! IDK if there's a way to stamp them out! lol
DarkJoy Yes, I still get some broken pieces but nothing like before. I think some breakage during manipulation/washing/combing/detangling is inevitable.

But now I really have to look for broken pieces unlike in the past they were all over my hands and plentiful.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy Yes, I still get some broken pieces but nothing like before. I think some breakage during manipulation/washing/combing/detangling is inevitable.

But now I really have to look for broken pieces unlike in the past they were all over my hands and plentiful.
Thanks @Pompous Blue! Same here. Always hoping to downsize those pieces though. :lol:

@DarkJoy What type of henna do you use?
nakialovesshoes I now use Bahar Organic Henna and only mix with distilled water. It's just henna, no shikakai, amla, etc. It's only $2.50 here at the Indian stores. You can order it on Amazon:

Attachments

• 814VDEFLiQL._SL1500_.jpg
    814VDEFLiQL._SL1500_.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7

toni44

Hi,

It is usually better to apply BAQ Henna that was prepared with a little lemon juice and without conditioners ( especially those with protein).

note : Henna powder contains proteins (cellulose and others) but this is not the active complex.

Here's Why:
This is a bit lengthy but worth the read.

Lawsone (Hennatonic acid) is an acidic active complex in henna and has a very high affinity for keratin at around a pH of 6.8 ( normal hair and skin pH). Lemon juice is acidic serves to 'release ' lawsone that is bound in cellulose from henna plant.

"When a lemon juice-henna mixture is applied to the hair after several hours, the solution is still hopping with hydrogen atoms after hours; it’s still acidic. These abundant hydrogen molecules serve to reduce (i.e. add electrons to) the disulfide bridges of the composed keratin fibers, which breaks the bridges and “cuts” the keratin fibers up"

This makes keratin more accessible, "Lawsone, a relatively small molecule, then migrates to the cortex of the hair strand to coat the keratin via a Michaels’ reaction"

"Henna powder does not contain much lawsone (in most peer-reviewed articles it’s measured at less than 2% for pure henna) and the process of breaking down cellulose is lengthy, which is why it takes several hours."

Applying henna in conjunction with conditioners (especially protein based) essentially binds most lawsone , making it unavailable to bond to your hair. Thus, it is better to apply protein treatments and/or conditioners AFTER henna applications.

Information sourced from :

HENNA BASED HAIR CREAM PREPARATION,
CHARACTERIZATION AND ITS COMPARISON WITH MARKETED
HAIR DYES http://hmtjournals.com/vol5_1/010.pdf

And

The chemistry of Henna http://cthuliz.com/blog/?p=2624

Last edited: