Is It Having A Spirit Of Pride

BlkHoneyLuv2U

by not wanting to work in certain jobs? It took my a long time and a lot of late nights walking the floor crying about home work assignments while pursueing my degree. I went to school for this degree so I could move up in the job market place. Right now I'm working as a customer service sales representative for a cell phone company. Its a temp job and will end on the 14th of July. I have a BS/BA with a major in accounting. The position I'm in now only requires a high school diploma. I HATE THIS JOB AND WILL BE GLAD WHEN IT ENDS!! Is it prideful of me not to go back to working in convienance(sp) stores which is what I did before receiving my degree.

I got tired of cleaning up poop, pee, and vomit after drunks, working weenends, holidays, all night, mopping floors, cleaning windows. I got sick of doing that which is why I went back to school at such a late age. The degree I have, IMO has to be a gift from God because I absolutely HATE NUMBERS!! But accounting makes sense to me I understand it, I love it and just cant understand why God would give me the knowledge that I have and the ability to do accounting, get the degree even after suffering a near death experience in the middle of it all if He had no reason for me to use it.

If worst came to worst I would go back to doing that type work because I am a single mother of two and I have to provide. But there is a part of me that just wants to say to hell with it all. Go on welfare and call it a day.

qtgirl

Do you feel that, that type of work is beneath you. Or do you feel that you would be unsatisfied in that type of job?

I think if you need the money and won't work that type of job then it's your pride getting in the way. Esp. if you'd rather be on welfare, though I would be more ashamed to be on welfare than to be honestly working for my wages in a low-paying job.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

No I dont think that type work is beneath me having had done it before, I just dont understand what was the point in my going to school racking up 36,000 in student loans that I will never be able to pay back making less than six dollars an hour. I just dont want to have to go back to where I worked and cried so hard to move away from.

JenJen2721

How is your job search going in the accounting field? Have you been mailing out resumes, interviewing, etc? You may have to just work the jobs you don't like until your blessing comes through for one in accounting. Keep searching though and don't give up.

qtgirl

I understand that. I will pray that you get a job in your chosen field soon. Don't give up faith or hope. Sometimes we are humbled in order to help someone else or for a certain situation that we can't yet see.

ladydee36330 said:
No I dont think that type work is beneath me having had done it before, I just dont understand what was the point in my going to school racking up 36,000 in student loans that I will never be able to pay back making less than six dollars an hour. I just dont want to have to go back to where I worked and cried so hard to move away from.

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I don't think it's really a spirit of pride. You're very anxious, that's all.

I know the welfare thing was probably a vent of frustration. Since you were so determined to get that degree, that same determination will lead you in your accounting career. What would be God's point of equipping you with all of that education if He's not going to use it for his glory? He knows the appointed time.

Remember David. Although he was annointed as a boy to be king, he had to wait for his throne. Many things stood in his way, but he fought on with God's guidance and prevailed.

As JenJen2721 said, send out those resumes and know by faith He'll make a way for you. Your season will come. Don't give up. Despite the present situation, God's still in control. ;)

Last edited:

sprungonhairboards

I don't understand. You have a degree so what's keeping you from getting a job in your field? You sound like the only alternatives are welfare (which sounds like laziness when its an actual choice and not caused by desperation) or being frustrated making minumum wage. The point of the degree was to advance your career so why arent you doing that?

And no I dont think its prideful. Personally, I would never work for minimum wage as long as I had a choice because I have enough education, experience and skills that I dont have to do that. Why go backwards? When this job ends dont even look for jobs in the fields you question.

Sign up with some temp to perm agencies catering to accounting or look for jobs with entry level requirements at a company where you can move up. Have faith in yourself. You've done the hard part, you got the degree! ;)

qtgirl

Accountant Entry Level
Post Date: May 24, 2005
Assignment: Temporary
Pay Rate: $12-14hr
Start Date: June 1, 2005
Industry: Government
Job Order Number: 010-9217281

Requirements:
AP AR Jounrnal entries excel

Description:
A Government agency is seeking an Entry-level Accountant for a long-term project. Duties will include processing accounts payable and receivables and working with journal entries. Position requires an Accounting Degree, intermediate excel and 1 year of experience. Experience within government accounting and lotus notes would be a plus. Apply on-line at www.accountemps.com and call 205-969-1911 to schedule an interview. All applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.

Accountemps is the world's recognized leader in specialized temporary financial staffing, providing excellent opportunities in the areas of accounting, bookkeeping, credit and collections, data entry, finance, payroll, and taxation. Our relationships with top companies ensure our employees enjoy top pay, challenging careers and assignments with the best opportunities for full-time employment. Accountemps is a division of Robert Half International. Contact your local Accountemps office at 1.800.803.8367 or visit www.accountemps.com to find out more about this job and all our other job opportunities.

Accountemps is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Apply for this job now or contact our branch office for additional information:

Office Location Information

Birmingham
3500 Colonnade Pkwy
Suite 525
Birmingham, AL 35243-8308
Phone: 205.969.1911
Fax: 205.969.2990
Email: [email protected]

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
sprungonhairboards said:
I don't understand. You have a degree so what's keeping you from getting a job in your field? You sound like the only alternatives are welfare (which sounds like laziness when its an actual choice and not caused by desperation) or being frustrated making minumum wage. The point of the degree was to advance your career so why arent you doing that?
This is what I don't understand either. How did you end up not having a job in accounting with the degree you have??? :confused:

I'm also wondering if the problem was that you applied for accounting jobs after getting the degree but no one wanted to hire you... was that the case??? :ohwell:

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Thanks for the replies ladies. QTGirl, I'm registered with accountemps but the problem with the position you posted is that its a temporary position. Birmingham is at least a four hour drive one way from where I live. If the position was temp to hire I would jump on it but I cant take a chance relocating for a temp job just to be back in the same place I am now.

What frustrates me most, is that I've sent my resume to so many places and had dozens of interviews. I know that there is something on my resume that makes them call me for an interview. I interview very well and all my interview go really good. I walk away feeling yep I got this one THANK YOU JESUS, only to receive a rejection letter or call. The only thing I can think is that on paper they dont know what I look like, but when I show up for the interview, they see a very dark skinned heavy set black woman. Its a very rare thing to see a dark skined black working in an office environment. I was told by my mom to stop looking for positions in my field but to try for jobs that THEY (meaning the white folks) will let me do.

I have a total of eighteen months experience, I had my own income tax business from home in 2003 and this year. I'm teaching myself to use QuickBooks, and soon to start teaching myself to use Peachtree accounting. I'm applying for positions in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Indianna, and Oklahoma. I have no problem relocating which is what I feel I will have to do to get a position in Accounting. I believe I dont get call from these out of state places is because of my Alabama address. I just asked a friend inGeorgia to let me use her address and phone number when applying for work in Georgia and my sisters will let me use their information for North Carolina and Indianna.

Bmm

Poohbear said:
This is what I don't understand either. How did you end up not having a job in accounting with the degree you have??? :confused:

I'm also wondering if the problem was that you applied for accounting jobs after getting the degree but no one wanted to hire you... was that the case??? :ohwell:

Ladies, my lovely ladies....

A degree does not guarantee a job in the field you went to school for...I know many people that have degrees that do not work in the field that they have a degree in. I don't think that she is not trying to get a job, in her field it’s just that it is sometimes hard...I am in school now...And I work in accounts payable...I didn’t go to school for accounting but I am here. I am in school for communications, and I plan to continue in education or social work (I want to work with children or young adults)

LadyDee.

Maybe you can check into job placement agencies...Keep your head up...you will find something soon. Try speaking the job you want, and deserve into reality!!! Instead of saying why can’t I get a break say: My reward is coming. I will get a job in my field. IT IS MINE I CLAIM IT!!!!!

Lovelylocs

LadyDee- Keep trying. Dont give up!! If the case is that they arent picking u b/c of what u look like, do u think it would be different if u didnt live where u do?

About the whole pride thing.... You are not alone. I hear that those are the jobs that we people, BLACKS, just arent willing to do anymore. But luckily for us, the Mexicans are willing to do them. (Disclaimer: Before anyone attacks me, President Fox told me this.)

sprungonhairboards

Bmm said:

A degree does not guarantee a job in the field you went to school for...I know many people that have degrees that do not work in the field that they have a degree in. I don't think that she is not trying to get a job, in her field it’s just that it is sometimes hard...I am in school now...And I work in accounts payable...I didn’t go to school for accounting but I am here. I am in school for communications, and I plan to continue in education or social work (I want to work with children or young adults)

Of course it doesnt, but the job doesnt have to be in your major either. If welfare is an option any job seems better than none, but it doesnt have to be something you hate and cant live off of either. A degree can work as an advantage and earn you more money. You can be a receptionist and make $7 an hour or you can be a receptionist with a degree and make $13.

Bmm

sprungonhairboards said:
Of course it doesnt, but the job doesnt have to be in your major either. If welfare is an option any job seems better than none, but it doesnt have to be something you hate and cant live off of either. A degree can work as an advantage and earn you more money. You can be a receptionist and make $7 an hour or you can be a receptionist with a degree and make $13.

Sprung-

I was responding to your question when you asked why she could not get a job in her field. The reality is that it does not always happen for everyone.

I do not think she was serious when she said welfare...she seemed to be venting. I know a degree is an advantage that is why I am in school now. Moreover, she is working a job that is not in her major...she is just asking for a break. As I said I am working in Accounting dept at one of the worlds biggest firms...I never went to school for this. We all want to break into the fields we went to school for.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Bmm said:

LadyDee.

Maybe you can check into job placement agencies...Keep your head up...you will find something soon. Try speaking the job you want, and deserve into reality!!! Instead of saying why can’t I get a break say: My reward is coming. I will get a job in my field. IT IS MINE I CLAIM IT!!!!!

Thank you Bmm, what you said is so true about not working in your field of study. I am currently working in a position for a placement agency. I've been registered with them since 2003, oh sure they called me to take clean up jobs but this is the first job they have placed me in that didnt require cleaning and I know they needed temps for accounting positions, but I was never called. The thing I feel I need to do is relocate but its hard when you're broke down , po, and pitiful. I want to leave YESTERDAY.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

sprungonhairboards said:
A degree can work as an advantage and earn you more money. You can be a receptionist and make $7 an hour or you can be a receptionist with a degree and make $13.
or if you live in Alabama as I do you can be a customer service sales representative and make eight dollars an hour WITH A DEGREE, without a degree and only a high school diploma, you can also make eight dollars an hour doing the same thing.

sprungonhairboards

Bmm said:
Sprung-

I was responding to your question when you asked why she could not get a job in her field. The reality is that it does not always happen for everyone.
I do not think she was serious when she said welfare...she seemed to be venting. I know a degree is an advantage that is why I am in school now. Moreover, she is working a job that is not in her major...she is just asking for a break. As I said I am working in Accounting dept at one of the worlds biggest firms...I never went to school for this. We all want to break into the fields we went to school for.

Oh I was saying that because I got the idea that she'd never attempted to work in her field. At least get in the area. Why even apply for the types of jobs she mentioned? Trust me I know most people dont work in fields they hold degrees in including me. But I still have options and welfare and fast food isn't one of them.

sprungonhairboards

ladydee36330 said:
or if you live in Alabama as I do you can be a customer service sales representative and make eight dollars an hour WITH A DEGREE, without a degree and only a high school diploma, you can also make eight dollars an hour doing the same thing.

Ok see that's just wrong, move, now!
Come to Cali, they got good paying jobs out here. But keep your house in AL and go home on the weekends 'cause with the cost of living here you'd probably break even :lol:

Keep ya head up!

Ms Red

LadeeDee, don't give up!!!!!!!!

Can you consider moving to another location? I know that sometimes relocating in a slow to moderate economy can help increase your salary. Looking in AL, there doesn't seem to be a huge plethora of permanent jobs.

Please don't give up on God. Because I believe God allowed you to go back and finish your education and He has a purpose for your life and your career. There are times when we are tested- our will is tested, our pride and most of all our faith.

I can only say this because after receiving my undergrad degree from a great university, I was still making $8/hour in the same hospital that I worked at as a student. I was so depressed and I called upon God to direct my life and order my steps. I knew my parents and I had not sacrificed for me not to have a job in my field.

Well, since then (it has been 2 years since I graduated) God has blessed me with jobs that have more than tripled that hourly salary and it's made my testimony that much better. I remember contemplating working at a BEAR STUFFING COMPANY! I put aside my pride and filled out the application. Not more than 48 hours passed and I had a real job offer in my hands. I had to relocate to receive the blessings meant for my life, but I TRUST GOD and you should too! Please have courage. Things will get better. :)

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Thanks again ladies, Since starting this thread, I've received a call from a recruiter for a position I applied for yesterday. She had told me that she would be her reccommendations to the company she was recruiting for yesterday and would call me by five to let me know if she had given the company my name. When I didnt hear from her, I figured oh well. A little while ago, she called and requested more work history on me. She said she had told the company about me and they were excited at the prospect of meeting me.The town is 158.8 miles from where I currently live but if I get the position, I will figure out a way to relocate later. Its a town called Sylacauga Alabama its close to Birmingham. This is a full time position also. I dont know what the pay is like but right now its more about gaining the experience in accounting than it is about the pay. PRAY FOR ME YA'LL

Bmm

ladydee36330 said:
Thanks again ladies, Since starting this thread, I've received a call from a recruiter for a position I applied for yesterday. She had told me that she would be her reccommendations to the company she was recruiting for yesterday and would call me by five to let me know if she had given the company my name. When I didnt hear from her, I figured oh well. A little while ago, she called and requested more work history on me. She said she had told the company about me and they were excited at the prospect of meeting me.The town is 158.8 miles from where I currently live but if I get the position, I will figure out a way to relocate later. Its a town called Sylacauga Alabama its close to Birmingham. This is a full time position also. I dont know what the pay is like but right now its more about gaining the experience in accounting than it is about the pay. PRAY FOR ME YA'LL

Sister, you all already in my prayers.

Poohbear

Bmm said:

See, I already knew this but this is what is scaring me!!! :( I'm in school right now for accounting and I'll be getting an MBA as well and I'm afraid to end up without a nice paying accounting job that most whites are guaranteed after they graduate.
I had a hard time getting an offer for just a simple internship to get some experience. Out of the many firms I signed up for to interview with, only one firm was interested in interviewing me. I'm surprised they hired me too for the internship. I go to a white school and white students were getting several offers from several different firms. I don't get it. :ohwell:
So that's why I am scared and that's why I asked ladydee that question to see if this was the case for her. Now y'all have me worried about this whole degree thing and all this money for student loans and the MBA program I have to pay back in the future. :covereyes:

bludacious

I can tell you are a strong woman who don't give up. You have pride in yourself. I think you are at a point where you actually appreciate your degree because of the struggle you went through getting it. You are working your way from the bottom to the top. My advice to you is to just hold on to faith in God. He will bring you from a mighty long way. You are at a crappy job now, keep on keeping on and I know God will bless you with something a whole lot better. Your hard work will pay off! Stay Strong, My Sister!

Proof God Does Answer Prayer: I graduate from college in 1998 with a Dual Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics and Computer Science. After College, I work at JC Penney for over a year until I finally was given an opportunity to work in my field. I have been in the computer field since 1999. I am still holding on!

Last edited:

Bmm

Poohbear said:
See, I already knew this but this is what is scaring me!!! :( I'm in school right now for accounting and I'll be getting an MBA as well and I'm afraid to end up without a nice paying accounting job that most whites are guaranteed after they graduate.
I had a hard time getting an offer for just a simple internship to get some experience. Out of the many firms I signed up for to interview with, only one firm was interested in interviewing me. I'm surprised they hired me too for the internship. I go to a white school and white students were getting several offers from several different firms. I don't get it. :ohwell:
So that's why I am scared and that's why I asked ladydee that question to see if this was the case for her. Now y'all have me worried about this whole degree thing and all this money for student loans and the MBA program I have to pay back in the future. :covereyes:

Poohbear-
Please do not be scared. It is just a reality some people face when they graduate however; it is great that you did get an internship so that you have experience. Are you graduating this year if not can you return to the same place or get another internship?

Poohbear

Bmm said:
Poohbear-
Please do not be scared. It is just a reality some people face when they graduate however; it is great that you did get an internship so that you have experience. Are you graduating this year if not can you return to the same place or get another internship?
I get my BA May 2006 and my MBA Dec 2006. I really don't want to do another internship because I really didn't like doing an internship because it so slow and boring and you do the same thing all the time everyday. After I graduate, I want a full-time job at least where I will actually be doing something besides filling in numbers in the tax return program for the accounting managers to review. But I really don't wanna go back into Tax. I would like to see what it's like to do Audit. I wouldn't mind going back to the firm I did an internship with, but I want to work for a bigger accounting firm like PwC or Deloitte & Touche, and I would like to work for a firm outside of KY. I'm afraid a firm outside of my home state won't hire me because all I have is internship experience... no full-time experience. :ohwell:

Sweet C

Ladydee and Poohbear, I understand exactly how you feel. I am about to graduate soon with an MS and the area I will move to has very low prospects of jobs in my field. I have had good internships every year in college, and I feel that if I don't get a good job pertaining to my field that my family will be disappointed and blame DH. I am too a bit nervous that I won't find a job and all those blood, sweat, and tears I spent in the lab late at night and on someone's floor trying to figure out PChem problems to 5am, take a 2 hour nap, and wake up to make something up that is semi-comprehensible to turn in at 9am will be in vain. I put in for a job, but have yet to receive a response. So I prayed and asked God to help me find a job where he would want me to work. If its not in my field or if the pay is not as good as I would like it to be, but its where he wants me to be, that is where I will go. If he sends me there, he will provide. So that is what I have to keep telling myself when the enemy tries to sow seeds of doubt in my mind.

Thanks cupcake and bludacious for your testimonies. They have been a real encouragement to me through my struggle.

BlkHoneyLuv2U

Update: temp job ended, beginning today will be working in the kitchen of the local nursing home as a dishwasher making 7.35 an hour. Trying to stay positive but its hard. I've quit applying for accounting jobs because I'm tired of running all over the place for interviews that are a waste of my time and gas is too expensive. I am currently pursuing my MBA in Health Care Management, so I'm hoping that an administrative position will open up so I can move into admin. I also plan to volunteer part time with the payroll department. Nope not going on welfare, but I figured out I do have a prideful spirit. I hate a kitchen and yes I do feel its a waste of my time because it gives me nothing to put on a resume that will benefit me in the future for an admin position. But ah well such is my life. IT SUCKS!!

BLESSED1

ladydee36330 said:
Update: temp job ended, beginning today will be working in the kitchen of the local nursing home as a dishwasher making 7.35 an hour. Trying to stay positive but its hard. I've quit applying for accounting jobs because I'm tired of running all over the place for interviews that are a waste of my time and gas is too expensive. I am currently pursuing my MBA in Health Care Management, so I'm hoping that an administrative position will open up so I can move into admin. I also plan to volunteer part time with the payroll department. Nope not going on welfare, but I figured out I do have a prideful spirit. I hate a kitchen and yes I do feel its a waste of my time because it gives me nothing to put on a resume that will benefit me in the future for an admin position. But ah well such is my life. IT SUCKS!!

Please continue to hold on and be faithful, some of those hurricane victims prob. wish they had a job period you know? Remember that God won't bring you to it if he won't bring you through it ;) Who knows, you may cross paths w/ someone in the kitchen that may help you get your dream job in your field of specialty, I'm telling you it happens! Of course you'll be in my prayers, good luck hon and be blessed

beyondcute

Lady Dee Im so sorry . I m in the same situation. I have a job and last year it was perfect for me. Now they have cut my hours in half after I already made my school schedule (cant chage it). I am so hurt and struggling and to make matters worse my job start date has eben pushed back a month (I work for the school system here so I was supposed to start September 4th but wont start until October... havent gotten a specific date) I feel so bad. Im struggling and I had just started to get back on my feet. I feel like crying sometimes but I just pray. Im gonna keep the faith and I hope you do too!