Is it idol worship?

natstar

I joined a sorority about 3 years ago (in order to gain relationships) before wanting to build my spiritual life and since graduating and wanting to become closer to God, I have wanted to set some things that I think are negative aside. Most of the sisters in the sorority mean well and really believe in what the sorority stands for, but looking at it now, the way the sorority operates conflicts with what I am coming to believe. It's hard to give up a sisterhood where u know u will have each other's back but now I am finding that I may have to to be obedient with God. I know the bible says something like you cannot serve two masters, and I just wanted to know if there are any suggestions on how I should go about this? I want to stay sisters with them, but if I do, I will be doing the sorority's work and not God's work. I was also thinking should I still be in the sorority for the sole purpose of trying to get my sisters to build a relationship with God? This is a very sensitive issue for me so please offer advice.

Thanks

imani97

Why would being in a sorority cause you to be "doing the sorority's work and not God's work"? Don't you go to work to support yourself everyday? For most people, unless their job is in the church or in some type of public sector job, by your logic that would be considered a sin. I am in a sorority and I and many of my line sisters are Christians, one is even married to a minister who is in divinity school. I really don't think that sororities set out to put themselves above God. What idol would you be worshipping? Are you referring to the hymns as idolotry? Would high school and college songs be considered in that same vain then?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I am in a sorority that I pledged while in college. Unless your sorority is a witch craft/devil worship sorority or something then there is nothing wrong with you being a part of this organization... unless of course like one sister above said--it puts itself above God. Or, if you find yourself putting it above God then that's a problem.

But being a Christian and being a part of civic, professional and other organizations is definitely not wrong. I'm assuming that you joined a traditional black greek sorority.

Now, as I have grown older my priorities have changed and my sorority is not as important to me as it once was. This does not mean that I don't value the experience and I am still very happy to be a member. AND most of all, the relationships that I formed as a result of the sorority are priceless and I am still very close with my linesisters to this day. I talk with them all daily over email and one of them is my very best friend and a very godly woman herself. What's also great is that I've had the opportunity to see this women grow in the Lord as they have had the opportunity to see me grown in the Lord.

Do not dismiss the relationships you have formed if they are special to you. If you choose not to be as active with the organization, that's fine but don't cut off the real relationships you've developed over the years. The only exception to that would be is if those women are into behaviors and things that truly do go against where you are in your life. Then I could see how you would not want to associate yourself with such.

Let us know what you end up doing.

czyfaith77

Supergirl said:
I am in a sorority that I pledged while in college. Unless your sorority is a witch craft/devil worship sorority or something then there is nothing wrong with you being a part of this organization... unless of course like one sister above said--it puts itself above God. Or, if you find yourself putting it above God then that's a problem.

But being a Christian and being a part of civic, professional and other organizations is definitely not wrong. I'm assuming that you joined a traditional black greek sorority.

Now, as I have grown older my priorities have changed and my sorority is not as important to me as it once was. This does not mean that I don't value the experience and I am still very happy to be a member. AND most of all, the relationships that I formed as a result of the sorority are priceless and I am still very close with my linesisters to this day. I talk with them all daily over email and one of them is my very best friend and a very godly woman herself. What's also great is that I've had the opportunity to see this women grow in the Lord as they have had the opportunity to see me grown in the Lord.

Do not dismiss the relationships you have formed if they are special to you. If you choose not to be as active with the organization, that's fine but don't cut off the real relationships you've developed over the years. The only exception to that would be is if those women are into behaviors and things that truly do go against where you are in your life. Then I could see how you would not want to associate yourself with such.

Let us know what you end up doing.

I agree with Supergirl, her response was timely and conscientious. I myself am considering an organization for the opportunity to be of service to my community (specifically young women and men-there is a great need for mentorship and I have found that God can use many channels to reach people. It is all in how you present yourself and what you stand for) and possibly meet some interesting people. I am currently researching the sororities through books (The Divine Nine and the DST book- I am currently looking for others, if you know of any please let me know. Many are out of print.) and individuals who are members of various organizations. I am a non-traditional student (majoring Birth-Kindergarten Education) who own and operate a day care and I would have to consider the graduate chapters. If I could have done it undergrad I would have but my undergrad studies were kinda on and off but I am glad to say I will graduate Dec 2006. I may consider grad school. I am still contemplating it. If I do, it will be part-time as well. Sororities and fraternities are good as long as your know who you are, know what you stand for and do not sway from those things.:)

Last edited:

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
I pleged a black greek sorority in college and I understand what you're saying. I agree that you can join organizations and thrive within and for them as a member. The problem however is when one allows the organization to consume them, and they in turn begin to idolize the sorority, or the social "status" they may hold as a member.

Moreover, some sororities have traditional rituals that members participate in - especially when pledging new members and when I'm honest with myself, I can see where a person would question it. I just remembered through all of it to keep God first and everything else underneath Him. That included being pleged, pledging other girls, as well as the way I carried myself on campus once I crossed. I've since "divorced" the sorority, as I believe I've grown out of it, but that's another story.

If we're not careful,anything that we actively participate in has the potential to conflict our walk with God... even these hair boards. We just have to ask God for the discernment to draw the line between participation and worship.

natstar

Thanks for the responses ladies- I have decided to help out when needed for the sorority. I also will be there for my sisters. However my time is limited in terms of how much priority I give to it now. This is for a number of reasons. Thank you guys for giving me input- I think I have found a way to do what is right for me. It's a journey but I will pray to have God guide me and to get more knowledge.

God Bless

shunemite

sithembile said:
I'm not American, could someone explain what a sorority is and does?

I've never joined one, but I can best describe it as a group/ club comprised of ladies in college, that meets on a regular basis. Joining a sorority can be a good way to make friends when you're new at a university.They do many activities when they get together like community service (feeding the poor or helping street kids), or just have fun together, or throw parties. Some activities may or may not involve heavy drinking, or parties with males (depending on the sorority/ school). That's where moral conflict can occur.

Sororities have been around in the U.S. for a very long time, and some are nation wide. Some celebrities like Jada Pinkett Smith belong to famous sorotities. They have jackets, t-shirts, and even license plates with the sorority logo on it. My understanding is that not everyone can join a particular sorority. There are rules on who can join (pledge), and how to join.

That's best as I can describe it. Like I said, I've never joined one, so my descriptions may not be entirely accurate. The male version of a sorority is a fraternity.