Is it Me or My Sedu?

LaShanne

OK, I've used my Sedu three different times since I bought it. The first time I used it at about 340 degrees. I got decent results but my roots weren't as straight as i wanted. I attributed it to my technique (first time using a flatiron) and maybe not enough heat. The second time, i turned up the heat to 360. Still not straight enough. Today I maxed it out and finally after 2 passes, it got straight. Now, I dont want to go that hot, but what am I to do? How are other 4a's getting their roots so straight? I used Chi Silk Infusion as my heat protectant. So whats up?

I'll be honest, I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be with this thing. I'm trying to give it an honest try. Should I have gotten the maxiglide instead? Also, did the SEDU name rub off your iron? Mine did after my second use.

HoneyDew

I had the same experience.

I did not like it and got rid of it. I am just used to the FHI and how well it works in one swipe at a particular temp.

I was VERY disappointed in the Sedu. Maybe there is just some Sedu technique or something, but I did not like that iron. I also had to max it out and had to use several swipes. Not worth all that heat.

LaShanne

My parts are pretty small as I have the 1 inch flatiron.

Here's what I do: I pull my hair taut, then press the iron right against the scalp, hold for about 1 or 2 seconds, then slowly slide down the new growth. At one point today (out of frustration) I started sliding the iron back up the hair to get it straight.

There's no way I can continue doing that without hurting my hair. I'm pretty bummed out about it, 'cause I dont want to blow out my roots anymore (too much heat). :sad:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

The Sedu does absolutely nothing for my hair. I must use the maxiglide and only the maxiglide. To be truthful i've not used the fhi or the chi or really anything else except the sedu and maxiglide.

Last edited:

stacy

OK, I've used my Sedu three different times since I bought it. The first time I used it at about 340 degrees. I got decent results but my roots weren't as straight as i wanted. I attributed it to my technique (first time using a flatiron) and maybe not enough heat. The second time, i turned up the heat to 360. Still not straight enough. Today I maxed it out and finally after 2 passes, it got straight. Now, I dont want to go that hot, but what am I to do? How are other 4a's getting their roots so straight? I used Chi Silk Infusion as my heat protectant. So whats up?

I'll be honest, I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be with this thing. I'm trying to give it an honest try. Should I have gotten the maxiglide instead? Also, did the SEDU name rub off your iron? Mine did after my second use.

Yup! Yup! Those were the exact words coming out of my mouth as I read your post. It did nothing at all for my hair (type k for Kunta Kinte). It was a little better than my old iron on my daughter's natural hair, which is much softer than my hair (some call it "water & grease" hair). The white lettering also began to come off. I am so close to just sending it back and using that $75 toward another flat iron. I did not even get a user's manual in my box and a bug was crushed on the underside of the cardboard in the box!

ryanshope

Sorry to hear that it doesn't work well for you..could be a bum unit :(
...as a staunch SEDU supporter I am sad to see that someone isn't getting silky, smooth, tangle free hair(I do every time, an I have 4a/b sometimes z hair)...also because the Sedu uses tourmaline and ceramic materials, it is hard to duplicate the results ceramic only irons; thus furthering my bias..

I know I got a Sedu from folica during the special that didn't work at all and had to send it back. The new one is fine; although I would prefer a smaller size. I also have a CHI(hated it) and the Deep Brillance(works fine but not as well as the Sedu)..good luck with any other irons u decide to try..

Last edited:

inthepink

Wow - I am such a Sedu lover that I am shocked that it doesn't work for everyone. Oh well. I guess I'm just bummed for you that you bought it and you're disappointed. I hope you find a flat iron that works better for you.

stacy

I also got my Sedu during the sale. Did you guys get a user's manual. I have a feeling that I got one that was sent back.

nybeat26

I am so sorry that it didn't work for you. I have one and it works wonders on my new growth but when I use it on my daughter's hair it looks the same as if I use my old cheap one. I guess that hair respond to products and[FONT=&quot]appliances in different ways then others
[/FONT]

dejah9

Hi everyone! I'm a lurker but newbie post-er! This thread caught my eye since I had a similar issue (but not with Sedu..) Turns out it could be that the flatiron width is what's causing your grief..I have 2 flat irons that I use simutaneously..One is 1" and the other is 3/8". I use the 3/8" (especially when I've stretched my relaxer way past it's expiration date) first to get the root all the way down to the end straight. This is typically at 340 degrees. I try not to go above that because if I need to use heat later on in the week, I've already stressed my hair (and my hair (type 4b) will rebel!) I then style my hair with the 1" iron (also at 340 degrees). It may be a lot to do and take more time, but my hair is straight enough for me to wrap at night and look decent for the remainder of the week....Hope this helps!:grin:

hairmaster

How many of you blow dry their hair first/roller set?
you have to section the hair in to 1/2 thicknes and let the heat work.

Amarech

Wow, I thought Sedu and Chi were the holy grail of flat irons. I was even going to get one but now.....:nono:

It could be the brand. It could also be products and technique. Thats what I found out. When I switched to Jilbere my hair went from Ok to Vavooom!!! And then when I started using Joico (and stopped with the Paul Mitchel)my hair went from Vavoom!!!! to OMG!!!!!!

As with everything, its rarely just one thing. Usually problems stem from a group of issues. I say trial and error until you find what works. maybe the Sedu isn't so bad after all:ohwell:

prettygrl

it's your sedu, IMO.

i had one for a year and it broke. so I got a Chi and I am in love. I did not like the Sedu at all for my hair. With the Chi my hair is silky. And I have the Chi Turbo so I can adjust the heat settings. I don't have to turn it up that high at all to get results.

HTH!

Gemini350z

i did not like the sedu as much as the fhi, I recieved both with in the same week.

The FHI gets my roots much straighter, with one swipe, on a lower setting.

LaShanne

Well, my plan is to clarify my hair and try again. I've been using alot of powders and oils lately (AAA Experiment:grin:) so maybe my strands are all gunked up.

I really WANT to like it. It took me so long to make a decision on which flat iron to buy and I already threw away the box and stuff thinking I had found the ultimate tool :wallbash:

dang, I hate making expensive mistakes...

Last edited:

nichelle02

I think results are different for different people. I absolutely love my Sedu. I've had a FHI and CHI turbo. For me, they don't compare at all to the results I get with my Sedu revolution.

My cousin tried my Sedu on her hair this week and couldn't stop raving about how well it worked. Her next purchase is a Sedu revolution.

Tracy

Wow - I am such a Sedu lover that I am shocked that it doesn't work for everyone. Oh well. I guess I'm just bummed for you that you bought it and you're disappointed. I hope you find a flat iron that works better for you.
Same. :(

I lurve my Sedu. :grin: