Is it ok to wait a long time before retouching?

Trinity1

I'm asking this because from personal experience if I wait past 6 weeks to retouch my hair I notice lots of shedding. Needless to say I can not comb through my hair when its wet or dry because of the amount of new growth. I've been using S curl which softens my new growth alot but still when I wash my hair and try to detangle even after putting in my leave in conditioner (Pantene) I have to start from the middle of my hairs length to detangle. I've heard some stylist say that we should relax our hair religiously every 6-8 weeks to avoid shedding and breakage. As soon as I relax my shedding stops. I was going to try to go to week 8 this time but I am going into my 6 week and already I have major new growth and I cant comb through it. What do you ladies think? Does relaxing the hair every 6-8 weeks allow the hair to stay healthy or waiting it out is better even though for me it causes shedding and sometimes breakage?

Tee Tee

Hi Tee Tee,

You are not alone. There are those who can wait for longer periods of time to relaxe their hair, but not everyone can do this. I can't go past 10 weeks without getting a lot of breakage. I usually relax every 8 weeks, and my hair is doing fine.
smile.gif

Yeah I think you're right,for some it is ok to wait but if I wait I can not comb through my hair no matter how much moisturizer or leave in I put in and then I risk shedding and breakage because of the extra manipulation to style my hair. This last week I have been just using my fingers to comb my hair back into a ponytail. I think I'll continue relaxing every 6 weeks for now. When I get to my goal (bra-strap length) then I'll try to find a way to relax less frequently.

Tee Tee

Back