Is it possible to OVER Deep Condition?

PrincessLinzz

Hi Ladies,

Can you deep condition (sitting under the dryer or heating cap for 30 mins) more than once a week? Can you deep condition every time you wash your hair? Are there negative effects to this?

What are the negative effects to overusing protein conditioners? Can it damage or break your hair?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Princess L

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Yes u can DC more than 1x/wk.
Yes u can DC every time u wash your hair.
Using too much protein will break the hair off, and using too much moisture will make it mushy.
You have to keep a good balance between.

yardgirl

If you're referring to a moisture overload then, yes, that's possible but it can be corrected with protein treatments. I think that at some point you hair will only take so much and no more and that's why I do not believe in overnight conditioning. In my opinion, if a deep conditioner (DC) is going to take over an hour to work without heat, you might want to find a different product.

DCing more than once or twice per week might only be necessary is there's a problem you're trying to correct but for regular hair care for most people, DCing several times a week really isn't necessary.

Overusing protein will lead to a protein overload (you hair becomes hard and brittle) and eventually breakage. POs can be very difficult to correct. You have to use moisturizing deep conditioners to balance out the hair. Clarifying also helps. I always do a moisturizing DC after protein treatment even if it's a mild/moderate protein product.

LongTimeComing

Yes you can d/c often or more than once a week, but you have to balance moisture and protein.

I usually go overboard on the moisture and my hair is extremely soft( in a bad way) and when I try to comb it, it will stretch too much then break.

sheba1

Yes u can DC more than 1x/wk.
Yes u can DC every time u wash your hair.
Using too much protein will break the hair off, and using too much moisture will make it mushy.
You have to keep a good balance between.
^^^^ What she said :yep:

A good sample might be, if you're going to DC every week, you can do moisture DC one week and then protein followed by moisture the next week.

You'll have to listen to your hair to see if you need more or less protein in the mix. For myself, I like to do a reconstruct with aphogee 2 minute reconstructor every shampoo (weekly) followed by moisture DC (I like Sally's generic value conditioning balm right now). This works for me, but would be too much protein for some naturals.

Neith

In the end, listen to your hair. :yep: Only you really know your hair.

My hair is very coarse - needs extra moisture. It's also very protein sensitive.

I DC 2x a week, sometimes overnight on both nights. I do not use protein, only once per month for 5 mins.

This regimen would wreck some people's hair, but it's good for my hair.

If I were to go trying to follow "general" hair rules, my hair would not be in good condition.