Is it possible to twist and lock relaxed hair?

Blaq-N-GoLd

I have been doing research on this for quite some time, and the only thing I can come up with are sisterlocks, which are too tiny for my liking...I am a HUGE fan of blaqueindigo's dreads http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5pR3935zRY (though I'm sure she wouldn't be happy with me trying to mock her locks with relaxed hair :ohwell:) I'm just not strong enough to commit to cutting my relaxed portion of hair off, I'd rather grow a little/snip a little, or just let the relaxed portion fall out. So my question is if it can be done...Or, do I have to big chop :blush:
Now I did see a young lady on youtube lock her relaxed hair, but left her ends unlocked which looked a bit eccentric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnnYt74vqxg. But I want all of my hair locked.

Is it possible?
Thanks ladies!

JJamiah

I have seen Yte people loc their hair and it looked good not messy, so I figure you should be able to. I would really find one that did loc their hair and find out. I believe it would have to be a lot of back combing and hand rolling to get it to stay and form. :) Good luck and keep us posted :D

KurlyNinja

Yes, it is possible... just get about 4-5 months of new growth and then wash with shampoo. You'll have dreads for days. :wallbash: sorry just venting, but yea I'm pretty sure its possible.

Neala21

Blaq-N-Gold

I recently took down my locs that I had for 6 months on completely natural hair.

Before getting my locs I did tons of research and even bought a few books called Nice Dreads by Lonnice Bonner; Locs for Life by Kalimah Johnson and Hairlocking: Everything you need to know by Nekhena Evans these books were really helpful! From all the research and even youtube channels of others is that you can definitely start locs with relaxed hair but eventually you would need to cut that hair off as your natural hair grows out. Relaxed hair makes it more difficult to loc to start because it's so straight and like JJamiah stated would require a great deal of back combing and palm rolling.

Suggestion would be start transitioning to go natural so that way you will have some new growth and once it's (new growht) long enough then start the foundation for locs. I chose two strand twist at the time as it was easier for me to start locs on my own and maintain.

Fhrizzball

you can put braids or twists in your relaxed hair and then touch up the newgrowth with interlocking or palmrolling. Nappturality may help you out in this department. I remember there being a member who did something like that. I figured you'll need bands or something so the ends won't come undone...