Is it possible to have HEALTHY LONG BLEACHED and RELAXED hair ???

neyhla

I just want to know if there are girls around here that have long bleached relaxed hair.
is it possible to get light brown/gold hair from dark hair without causing too much breakage ?

tenjoy

My hair is very healthy and I relax and dye a Dark & Lovely Chestnut Blonde, been doing this for over 10 years. Maybe once or twice a year. My natural color is very dark brown and it dyes to the color of a penny ( not a brand new penny, but one that has been cirulating for a few months or so :grin:)

I love it.

crazydaze911

I wanna know the secret too! i had relaxed hair - no probs. i put highlights in it - no probs. once i dyed my whole head copper - PROBS!, all of a sudden DRYNESS CITY - my ends were breaking off bad :(. This was before the board though.....

crazydaze911

My hair is very healthy and I relax and dye a Dark & Lovely Chestnut Blonde, been doing this for over 10 years. Maybe once or twice a year. My natural color is very dark brown and it dyes to the color of a penny ( not a brand new penny, but one that has been cirulating for a few months or so :grin:)

I love it.

How long is your hair?

Shell4624

I love it.

TENJOY....PLZ Share your secret, rec products and our regime... I wanna know!!!!!

MissRissa

Yeah please do share. I relax 2-3 times a year and I'm a color addict. My hair has been dark brown, extremely light blonde, dirty blonde, a golden blonde, golden, light brown, u name it. ive decided no color for 08 because after 2 years my hair is barely APL because every few months I have to cut the color out because the colored ends have been ravaged. They were dry and brittle and broke if you looked at them too hard. Even after deep conditioning and using Emergencee. I'm starting to feen for some color but I really would like to grow my hair out this year.

tenjoy

my current reggie is in my fotki section.

But thats only recently. I think maybe the biggest "seceret" would be no heat. Besides a hood dryer I was never using blowdryers, flat irons, curling iron, etc. I dont even own any heat tools, besides the Maxiglide I just got the week before last ( love it).

I have always only had roller sets at the salon. Thats about it. Dark & lovely is the only dye I have used (jazzing clear rinse on occaision).

I dye a month after I relax, once maybe twice a year. My natural color somehow blends itself with the dyed hair and it can stand a very long period between dye jobs. Which I think helps. Also if you are really into keeping up the dye, you can find a colored rinse that will help you between dyes.

I have always moisturized even before LHCF and though i never did protein treatment before LHCF, I think the clear rinse behaved like a protein.

My hair is thick (diameter wise), if that matters.

Last edited:

JustKiya

my current reggie is in my fotki section.

But thats only recently. I think maybe the biggest "seceret" would be no heat. Besides a hood dryer I was never using blowdryers, flat irons, curling iron, etc. I dont even own any heat tools, besides the Maxiglide I just got the week before last ( love it).

I have always only had roller sets at the salon. Thats about it. Dark & lovely is the only dye I have used (jazzing clear rinse on occaision).

I dye a month after I relax, once maybe twice a year. My natural color somehow blends itself with the dyed hair and it can stand a very long period between dye jobs. Which I think helps. Also if you are really into keeping up the dye, you can find a colored rinse that will help you between dyes.

I have always moisturized even before LHCF and though i never did protein treatment before LHCF, I think the clear rinse behaved like a protein.

My hair is thick (diameter wise), if that matters.

I actually think that's the most important factor in whether your hair can handle multiple processes - coarser hair (only talking about the diameter of the hair, not it's handfeel) tends to handle multiple processes with MUCH more beauty & strength & health than fine hair does.

Trying to DP fine hair is a haircut in the making.

tapioca_pudding

I actually think that's the most important factor in whether your hair can handle multiple processes - coarser hair (only talking about the diameter of the hair, not it's handfeel) tends to handle multiple processes with MUCH more beauty & strength & health than fine hair does.

Trying to DP fine hair is a haircut in the making.
That's what brought me to LHCF in the first place.. :nono: ETA: I *do* think, however, having the power of LHCF knowledge behind fine/DP'd hair does give you a lil more "armor", so to speak. At least youre more knowledgeable as to hair care. :yep:

Ten, you have some nice hair lady!!! :yep: I wish I could do color...

Fine 4s

One person nailed it when they said that fine hair couldn’t take as much chemical treatments as coarser hair can. My hair wouldn't be able to handle any of that stuff.

However, I have heard another interesting point from an LHCF'er, that hair once altered either by relaxing or coloring is inherently damaged. Now, it might not make you FEEL good to view it that way but if you think of what happens to the strands during a chemical process then isn't it correct to state that the hair is damaged? And in that way damaged hair doesn't necessarily means that it LOOKS bad either.

It was a good point IMO.

tapioca_pudding

....but if you think of what happens to the strands during a chemical process then isn't it correct to state that the hair is damaged?
Or would it just be 'altered'? Not necessarily 'damaged'? I think these are two different states, yet sometimes used interchangeably. :yep: jmho

queen_t

You and ten both have lovely hair...

queen_t, you realize you have to give details, right? :look: :lol:

LOL, Moisture, moisture, moisture!! From the shampoo that is, and you gotta DC!

I listed all what I use in my fotki :yep:.

Kenra & Nexxus are the bomb!

MissRissa

Yeah I think it makes a definite difference in the hair type. I have really fine hair and I've been coloring and relaxing since I was 17 (ten years) and my hair just can't handle both. The only time it did relatively well was when I used a darker color, none of the blondes or golds.

tenjoy

One person nailed it when they said that fine hair couldn’t take as much chemical treatments as coarser hair can. My hair wouldn't be able to handle any of that stuff.

However, I have heard another interesting point from an LHCF'er, that hair once altered either by relaxing or coloring is inherently damaged. Now, it might not make you FEEL good to view it that way but if you think of what happens to the strands during a chemical process then isn't it correct to state that the hair is damaged? And in that way damaged hair doesn't necessarily means that it LOOKS bad either.

It was a good point IMO.

Water is a chemical, Shampoo is a chemical. Thats if you want to get technical.

Wind is damaging, so is the sun, cold weather, hot weather, the ocean, the pool, the chlorine in the drinking water. So its safe to then say that ALL hair is damaged.

I think its a misconception, that being natural, will keep the hair on your head. I know relaxers are damaging, but IMO, its less damaging than blow drying and hotcombing, flat ironing and all that extra manipulating to wear straight hair for MY hair. Thats why I relax, I dont like my natural hair and its healthier for me.

tenjoy

Yeah I think it makes a definite difference in the hair type. I have really fine hair and I've been coloring and relaxing since I was 17 (ten years) and my hair just can't handle both. The only time it did relatively well was when I used a darker color, none of the blondes or golds.

There is a difference in how the darker colors process than how the lighter colors process. I guess the lighter shades are a DP in itself.

poookie

psst Marbel has been lightening her hair for a number of years now; she relaxes and has really long, gorgeous blonde hair; you should try PMing her :yep:

she uses clairol luminize (and i do too, but my hair isn't nearly as light)

queen_t

psst Marbel has been lightening her hair for a number of years now; she relaxes and has really long, gorgeous blonde hair; you should try PMing her :yep:

she uses clairol luminize (and i do too, but my hair isn't nearly as light)

Uhhhhhhh huh! She sure does have some beautiful blonde hair!! :yep:

bleaching and coloring are totally different coloring is using developer in different strengths 10- 40 volume when you bleach you are stripping hair of all color down to the cortex and usually coloring or rinsing over it to deposit color if you want a really light blonde think banana peel yellow and you have dark hair or black you will have to strip then deposit color coloring with color and developer or box kits will only take you to a honey blonde or dark blonde unless you start out with light hair ,doing this on relaxed hair will weaken and dry your hair out because that is double processing your hair when using bleach this is something i had to learrn the hard way. think tina turner on whats love got to do with it when her hair is going down the sink and everyone is looking down the bowl.:{.

hth janis

queen_t

bleaching and coloring are totally different coloring is using developer in different strengths 10- 40 volume when you bleach you are stripping hair of all color down to the cortex and usually coloring or rinsing over it to deposit color if you want a really light blonde think banana peel yellow and you have dark hair or black you will have to strip then deposit color coloring with color and developer or box kits will only take you to a honey blonde or dark blonde unless you start out with light hair ,doing this on relaxed hair will weaken and dry your hair out because that is double processing your hair when using bleach this is something i had to learrn the hard way. think tina turner on whats love got to do with it when her hair is going down the sink and everyone is looking down the bowl.:{.

hth janis

Yup, I've done both (bleached and colored) and also had to learn the hard way.

tenjoy

hth janis
interesting......what strenght is the developer in the box kits? Maybe those having issues with coloring can tweak the developer volume to what there hair can handle.

mostly 20 volume unless it says high lift then it maybe 40 volume and bleach if you want really light hair you will definitely have to forgo the relaxer for length and health when using bleach.

tapioca_pudding

Sorry for the sidebar.. but what are you colored ladies doing re: your eyebrows? I have jet jet jet (jet) black brows, so I'm thinking I would need to lighten them.

NYREEROBERTS

I USE JOLEN CREME BLEACH(LIGHTENS EXCESS DARK HAIR).....IT'S IN A TURQUOISE BOX WITH WHITE WRITING...YOU CAN FIND IT IN WALGREENS...ANY BSS....WALMART OR CVS. ITS A LITTLE KIT AND MANY PEOPLE USE IT TO BLEACH MUSTACHES OR FACIAL HAIR. I HAVE USED THIS FOR 10 YEARS ONLY ON MY EYEBROWS. YOU MIX THE POWDER AND CREME. SPREAD IT ON WITH THE APLICATOR IN THE BOX OR A Q-TIP. COVER YOUR ENTIRE EYEBROW(MAKE IT THICK) AND LEAVE ON FOR 8-10 MINUTES....AND VIOLA!!!!! YOU HAVE LIGHTENED BROWS. MINE ARE DARK, SO I DO TEN MINUTES. I USUALLY HAVE TO DO THIS EVERY 2 MONTHS OR SO. THE KIT WILL LAST YOU A YEAR AND IT'S $5.