Is it really that hard?

janee

Is it really that hard to maintain natural hair? I have recently started to transition. Very exciting.
I have noticed threads where people are wanting to relax or telax because maintaining their hair has become difficult or time consuming. I am not really discouraged from transitioning. But I'm wondering if I could handle it, considering I do very little to my hair now.
I still want to transition to see how my natural hair is. And to stop relaxing it. Everytime I relax, I have this fear this is the time all my hair is going to fall out.
So I guess just washing my hair a couple of times a week with deep condition would not work on natural hair.

MissMusic

It not really that hard, especially with the info on this board. I just think if you want to wear straight styles a lot of the time, natural may not be the best course of action. Just remember to wash your hair in several big plaits, use a wide tooth comb moisturize, and low manipulation. Deep conditionin is great for natural hair, I just am not sure how many times your going to want to style your hair, its going to depend a lot on the styles you choose. Once you find what products and hairstyles work it will be a breeze. No worries!

Artemis

This is just my experience:

When I went natural in high school it was a little difficult b/c I was so accustomed to the behavior and rules of straight hair that the foreign texture growing out of my hair proved to be such a scary mystery. Beautiful and cottony, but still scary. I'm not sure how much of an advocate of transitioning I am now that I've gone natural twice (once I transitioned, and once I BC'd early in the game) b/c if you don't have the patience and willingness to look at your head in a different way, it can be daunting, and you'll find yourself wearing the same style day in, day out, out of frustration, or braiding b/c you just don't want to come out of the comfort zone. Transitioning in itself is a mental game, IMO. At least with a BC, you know where you stand from the jump! :look:

Once I was 1-2 yrs deep into being natural, it was pretty free flow. This was right when the boards were getting popular and the natural "nazis" sort of got their literature up and running (j/k! They weren't that bad :lol:) I actually had been doing a lot of the styles that ppl love to do b/f they became popular (and became a bonafide DIY-er as no one I knew wanted to or could style natural hair). And then I got to the point where I was like "Is this all?" That's when I knew I had accomplished all I meant to in my first hair journey: To uncover the mystery of my natural hair, and to observe what my texture "wanted" to do if I just sat the hell down and stopped screwing with it. The next time I go natural, my journey will be to grow it long, b/c I didn't get very far in the game back then (I had no regard or knowlegdge of protein and fine hair :wallbash:)...

Good luck and at the end of the day, it's all what you are willing to do that makes the decision for you. It's your head, not anyone else's :)

Last edited:

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I don't think so at all. It just different rules than you are used to. You have to get used to having sheen if you have one of the kinkier textures because they don't shine. You have to get used to frizz being somewhat constant. You have to get used to combs not gliding effortlessly through your hair.

Its just a mental change alot of times

neenzmj

No, it's not really that hard -- at least not for me. The hardest part was getting past some of those in-between stages where your hair is too short to do any really cute styles. But once I got past those difficult stages AND figured out what products work best for my hair, I've been lovin' the natural life from that point on. I'll never relax again!

janee

It not really that hard, especially with the info on this board. I just think if you want to wear straight styles a lot of the time, natural may not be the best course of action. Just remember to wash your hair in several big plaits, use a wide tooth comb moisturize, and low manipulation. Deep conditionin is great for natural hair, I just am not sure how many times your going to want to style your hair, its going to depend a lot on the styles you choose. Once you find what products and hairstyles work it will be a breeze. No worries!

I don't think I will want to wear my hair straight very much. I wear it straight now and I just wear a ponytail.:yep:
I think if I could get away with wash n go I will be ok. But I guess it depends on what type of hair I have.

Incredible1ne

I don't find it hard or time consuming. I spent the same time on my relaxed day. On wash days while relaxed I would wash/dc/blowdry/flatiron. Now I wash/dc/airdry/twist or braid. The only thing that's annoying me right now is some strands of hair having knots :wallbash:

essence5

In my opinion its not hard but it can be time consuming. When my hair was really short it was extremely easy, just wash and go. But as my hair grew it took longer to style (twists, finger coils etc). but now that I have more length I can conditioner wash and put it in a ponytail and go. Its all about how much timw you want to put into it,.....:whyme:

Blackoutzangel05

I am 2 months into being completely natural with a BC. I don't think its hard but it is different. Meaning that transitioning does not prepare you for natural the way that I thought it would. Nothing compares to being 100% natural. Products that I used during transitioning, no longer work for me and ones that would have never worked when I was relaxed work wonders. I have found that its when people don't fully accept the change and challenges that it can be overwhelming and time consuming. I honestly wash my hair and go. Its is that simple. Now when it gets longer it will probably be twisted most of the time because I love how the twist looks works but when you think that style last for 2 weeks and although it may take hours to do...it lasts.

So I believe that if you are open minded, don't expect your hair to look like this person's and that, willing to put some effort and research into it, ti can be a fun journey...sure bumps come but they come for relaxed heads too...you just conquer them and move on.

janee

For ME personally, no it's not that hard now. The first six to seven months were hell. I didn't have enough hair to "do" anyting with it. The little head bands would look so lonesome in there just sitting on my scalp :lachen:

But as it's grown it's become much easier, asides from the #1 killer of my dreams, shrinkage :rolleyes:

I can do twists, canerows, twist outs, wash and goes and as of this month I can do a low puff. JCoily has already warned me about the knots so I know to expect those and the splits on my splits so I feel better prepared for the next year.

Arm yourself with as much information as possible, look at the different albums, and if a year or even a month into being natural you don't want to it anymore, there is nothing wrong with that, it's a process like anything else.

I know I will be ok up to 4 months. I usually get my hair done every 3 to 4 months. Not sure how it will be after that. I will learn as I go along.

bLackButtaFly

It's not hard. Just like w/ any hair there'll be days when you want to give it up, and there will be other days when you feel like you couldn't live w/out being natural. But I think that's true of anyone who has hair. It's an adjustment, but after you get the hang of it, it'll be second nature.

janee

This is just my experience:

I'm not sure how much of an advocate of transitioning I am now that I've gone natural twice (once I transitioned, and once I BC'd early in the game) b/c if you don't have the patience and willingness to look at your head in a different way, it can be daunting, and you'll find yourself wearing the same style day in, day out, out of frustration, or braiding b/c you just don't want to come out of the comfort zone. Transitioning in itself is a mental game, IMO. At least with a BC, you know where you stand from the jump! :look:

I have thought about doing a BC but I don't have the courage.:sad: Since I don't style my hair very often, I hope it will be an easy transition. Guess I will find out.

LoveLiLi

No, it's really not that hard. It was hard for me at first because I was using the same products I used when I was fully relaxed and I was trying to wear that silky straight look all the time.

I also started using products such as grease and heavy pomades that are simply a no no for me whether my hair is relaxed or natural.

I'm about a year into transitioning and it's getting easier and easier. I detangle in the shower in less than two minutes and ironically, my flat iron time ends up being the same or shorter than when I was fully relaxed (I don't know how that happened).

It all comes down to the methods you use to care for your hair and finding the right products.

ToyToy

I don't think it's hard, but I think it's very time-consuming. Also, it takes a while to understand that you cannot treat your natural hair the way you would treat your relaxed hair.

But I still love being natural!! :grin:

mscocoface

It is an experience.

You learn about you, your hair, your fortitude, everything.

You were born with this texture but for years there has been a part of your being that has never been experienced for any length of time that you can remember dealing with.

You have to alter your mindset. It is like I tell my niece when she thinks she knows something or should know something, I will tell her, honey you have only been on this earth for 10 years what in the world do you really know, give it some time and things will be revealed but in the meantime, trust those who have experienced the situation, be patient, learn and understand and realize you have a long journey to go.

So remember you have only been dealing with your natural texture for a very short time, you have truly no real experience in the area so be patient, learn from those who have the experience and realize that it is a journey and you have a long way to go in understanding a part of your being that in essence is very young and is going to take you through some things. It can truly be a character building experience.

If you can help your mindset understand that and realize there will be good times and times when you are going to have to be a detective in helping your hair (usually regarding, dryness, tangles, ends, shrinkage and knots) and know it is part of the learning process then you can make it. Think about this, you may be 20, 30, 40 plus years old but your natural hair is less than what 6 months, 1 year, etc? I am 40 plus and my natural hair is only 9 years old and I have only been on a real healthy hair care maintenance routine for the last approximately 2 years.

Dealing with natural hair is a lot like being pregnant every woman's experience is a little different and so is their thinking and attitude in going into and through the experience. Some will tell you about all the horror stories and others will tell you it is nirvana and most are some where in between.

It is okay to listen, but be determined to realize your hair will tell you what it needs and it is your attitude and patience that will either get you through it or you will be kicking and screaming all the way.

It is all worth it in my opinion, I am learning things I never knew about my hair, myself and this experience. There have been times when I was frustrated but I decided on a plan a couple of years back and I am determined to meet those goals come heck or high water and also to be there for others who decide to come out of altering their natural hair texture so that they will know that yes, it is possible to do this.

I always suggest that as your natural hair grows check all the fotki's or hair albums you can get your hands on and find someone who has hair similar to your or a hair twin and look at what they have done that has helped them with their hair.

You don't have to recreate the wheel with a lot of things but you may have to adjust and adapt. Another thing, which I know will be difficult try items and give them time to work. Jumping around from product to product, or pill to pill and not being consistent is counter productive it takes weeks for your hair to respond to some things.

Wow, I said a lot, I hope one or two things in here help you.

Most of all enjoy your journey.

LynnieB

not difficult at all (for me).

just like relaxed hair, they'll be good days and bad ones. i have never tried to force my natural hair to behave like my relaxed hair was, that's where the patience and learning come into play.

i spend on average, almost the same amount of time maintaining and styling my natural hair as i did relaxed - just different techniques and products.

in fact at this short length i'm at now, styling time is so short that i feel like i've missed a step (like conditioning LOL).

tatiana

I don't think it is hard but it is different.

It is more of a mental thing than anything else. Think about it. When you go out over 80% of AA women you see have relaxed, braids or weaves/falls/wigs. When you look at a black hair magazine, you see tons of information on relaxed, braids, or weaves/falls/wigs. When you are a natural you look different, you feel different.

It is time-consuming for me in regards of trying different products. Trying to figure out what works, if it does work how much product can I use.

When I was relaxed, my hair would tangled. My hair tangles now. No big thing however I imagine if my hair never or rarely tangled when I was relaxed and I become a natural and it takes an hour to get all the tangles out I guess I would be a little frustrated.

glamazon386

Is it really that hard to maintain natural hair? I have recently started to transition. Very exciting.
I have noticed threads where people are wanting to relax or telax because maintaining their hair has become difficult or time consuming. I am not really discouraged from transitioning. But I'm wondering if I could handle it, considering I do very little to my hair now.
I still want to transition to see how my natural hair is. And to stop relaxing it. Everytime I relax, I have this fear this is the time all my hair is going to fall out.
So I guess just washing my hair a couple of times a week with deep condition would not work on natural hair.

I don't think it's harder, it's just different. Each one requires care but I think it's just an apples and oranges kind of thing. It also depends on your hair and what you're trying to do with it. Being natural is easier for me than being relaxed was. Also, what one person does for their hair may not work for another. I don't wash my hair in sections or spend time detangling. I literally just wash and go most of the time.

I wash my hair a few times a week with no problem. The longest I go is generally a week but I usually wash every 2 or 3 days.

zzirvingj

I agree with everything MsCoCoFace said!

I don't believe natural hair is harder to deal with. Just DIFFERENT (like some others have stated).

DeepBluSea

I am 4 months into this natural journey.

I think natural hair seems harder esp if 1) you are not used to dealing with your natural texture, 2)you are trying to make your natural hair do what your relaxed hair does, 3) you want your 4b hair to be 3b, 4)you are socially uncomfortable with your hair.

It sounds cliche but transitions are mental as well as physical. You cannot let people rush you to BC or dissuade you from the BC because it is your hair and you are the one who has to deal with it.

I am style challeneged as well. But I usually wore my relaxed hair in a ponytail or bob. So as long as I can get a couple of style under my belt I am a-ok. But if you are worried about styles check out natural fotkis. I have seen everything from funky frohawks to elegant updos. It can be more time consuming to do twists and boxbraids. But you can also wear them for a long time, so I just look at it as more time on the front end, but saving time overall.

glamazon386

not difficult at all (for me).

just like relaxed hair, they'll be good days and bad ones. i have never tried to force my natural hair to behave like my relaxed hair was, that's where the patience and learning come into play.

i spend on average, almost the same amount of time maintaining and styling my natural hair as i did relaxed - just different techniques and products.

in fact at this short length i'm at now, styling time is so short that i feel like i've missed a step (like conditioning LOL).

Short where missy!?!?! :mad: :lol:

cmw45

not hard. TIME CONSUMING![/quote]

...and it can be expensive unless you can braid or twists, yoursel...and I see you think you are 4a, be prepared for those darn blasted single knots! I am a student and it really takes up more time that I would like. But I'm gonna try to stick it out till I graduate and then hopefully, I will have a little more length (I notice that a lot of people who say that it is fairly easy are still in the cute TWA phase or have longer natural hair) and I'll have it for two years not as a student before I go back to school.

cmw45

I am 4 months into this natural journey.

I think natural hair seems harder esp if 1) you are not used to dealing with your natural texture, 2)you are trying to make your natural hair do what your relaxed hair does, 3) you want your 4b hair to be 3b, 4)you are socially uncomfortable with your hair.

It sounds cliche but transitions are mental as well as physical. You cannot let people rush you to BC or dissuade you from the BC because it is your hair and you are the one who has to deal with it.

I am style challeneged as well. But I usually wore my relaxed hair in a ponytail or bob. So as long as I can get a couple of style under my belt I am a-ok. But if you are worried about styles check out natural fotkis. I have seen everything from funky frohawks to elegant updos. It can be more time consuming to do twists and boxbraids. But you can also wear them for a long time, so I just look at it as more time on the front end, but saving time overall.

I can definitely appreciated the honesty in this post!

Last edited:

BklynHeart

You ladies brought up some great points! I also think that if most hair salons were more accepting of natural hair we wouldn't have a lot of reservations about being natural. I was lucky to have a stylist while relaxed to show/tell me the best products and what do to with my hair. Now that I'm transitioning, its hard to find a stylist that will handle the 2 textures and give me tips so I don't lose hair while going natural.

DarkVictory

It might. That's what I do. I detangle in the shower using fingers and the right conditioner (found through trial and error). You just have to experiment and see what regimine will work for you.

I find natural hair easy, but I don't fight my hair AT ALL. Pouffy-ness, shrinkage, different textures on different parts of my head - I just work with it.

Here's my take on the mental part. You can say, "I want my hair to look this certain way," and then spend time and energy trying to get it to "obey," or you can say, "Here's the hair I've got. How can I make it look best?" Best being up to you!

Hair Iam

No, it's not really that hard -- at least not for me. The hardest part was getting past some of those in-between stages where your hair is too short to do any really cute styles. But once I got past those difficult stages AND figured out what products work best for my hair, I've been lovin' the natural life from that point on. I'll never relax again!

Everything she said:grin:

Gryphyn

I agree with what some of the other ladies said. The hardest part is the in-between stage between your BC and when you have enough hair to pull it back. I never want to go through that again! I find my hair a lot easier to manage the longer it gets. When my hair started growing out I could pull it back in a puff in a few minutes, and now I can do buns. Sometimes I'll have a total breakdown where I don't know what to do with it, but after a few weeks I'll adjust to my length and find something that works.

I think many women try to baby their natural hair to avoid breakage, but for me that just makes my hair harder to deal with and takes too much time. Now, I keep my hair protected, but I don't really worry about how often I comb it or brush it anymore.

Last edited:

Twisties

I don't think it's hard if you stick to styles that are conducive to natural hair (twists, puffs, fluffy wet sets, wash and gos, plaits/braids, afros etc.)

I think difficulty comes when we wear it straight (it reverts and have to keep pressing it) or if we try to resist shrinkage (the first day of a set of twists will hang down, by the next day mine are shrunken and appear to be way shorter).