Is moisturizing/sealing daily necessary or does it depend on hair type?

Moisturizing/sealing daily-- is it necessary?

• Yes, our hair type needs it to prevent breakage

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • No, skip a few days, it may be too much

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Do as you please.. it's your hair

Votes: 33 73.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

levette

I'm a relaxed girl and I am wondering do you have to moisturize/seal daily. I am wearing a flat ironed style and have been rolling it highly using 4 flexirods for body/curls. Do I need to moisturize every day to protect my hair?

southerncitygirl

levette

Nope, its depends on porosity and the current state of your hair's health. I know types 4s that do daily or 2x a day and some that just do a few times a week... so it differs. As a natural when my hair is flatironed I never moisturize and seal I just apply a bit of pomade to flyaways if needed and the natural oils/sebum from my scalp is more than enough.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Depends.

I'm a type 4c natural with highly porous hair and I dont have to M/S daily anymore. I did in the beginning of my HHJ because my hair was dry and damaged (from color).

Now that it's healthy, I MIGHT need to re-moisturize and seal once mid-week after wash day. Sometimes, though, it doesnt need to be remoisturized at all between washes (I wash weekely without fail) and I might do it out of habit or just because I feel like it :yep:

curlyTisME

My ends have been dry since I went natural. I rarely use heat and went two weeks go for a salon quality trim.

Fast forward to now, I've been doing it nightly for the last four days and I can already tell a difference in my hair. Maybe I won't have to do it daily forever but for right now I'll be M&Sing nightly.

HHJ

ElevatedEnergy

Rooted Yet Flowing
Depends on your hair. I don't moisturize daily. I can go up to 3 days without moisturizing when my hair is in a roller set, a week if my hair is straight or in a bun. Oh and I wouldn't dare moisturize AND add oil to my hair. That just leaves it weighed down...I prefer hair that moves so sealing is not necessary for me and my hair still retains moisture.

BFeathers

I've always wondered this as well.

I've only recently started to really pay attention to my hair and take care of it. Maybe it's just my thoughts but when I first heard of moisturizing and sealing it with oil I thought it was a little bit dumb. For relaxed heads at least.

For me I relax because I like my hair having swing and body and flowing. y hair is dry but it gets oily quick and the idea of putting oil on it daily in a relaxed, flow and swing state gets it looking trashy and just plain bad. I like wearing my hair down and even light oil in about 2 days gets the "spacey" look. Where strands are clumped together and not so flowing.

My mom calls it the spacey look and I've since called it that as well. You know the look. Where a black woman with say shoulder length hair is in a picture and the strands a together and not free falling like a fresh relaxer. When a relaxer is 2 weeks post and the swing is gone because it hasn't been washed look with stick straight ends. Many don't mind this look but me personally I think I look and I feel silly.

With longer hair I might do it daily because I have the option for a ponytail but with my hair shorter and my sides recovering from balding I'm not comfortable with my hair up so it staying it a "just walked out of the shop" Pantene swing with bumped under ends look is what I've been going for health be damned. I need to feel confident and not self conscious that my hair is spacing and clumping on the side and shine bald is showing.

Beamodel

I am relaxed and I M&Sy daily. I have MBL hair. The key to it is using light weight products and oils. This was one of the main reasons that has gotten me to MBL hair.

Rozlewis

I am relaxed and I M&S daily. I find that it helps to keep breakage at a minimum. I go by the feel of my hair in terms of what it needs but I usually use a very light oil. During the winter months I use heavier oil and butters daily.

levette

I have been moisturizing lately about every other day and oiling my ends. I like to my hair to be real feminine looking so I tend to sleep in about 4 flexirods and then finger comb it into some sort of style. I flat ironed it last Friday for Easter but I have been wearing it curly from my flexirod set. Here's are pics of how it is looking recently

Attachments

• image-3561780457.jpg
    image-3561780457.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 108
  • image-775859461.jpg
    image-775859461.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3680321526.jpg
    image-3680321526.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

I moisturize daily. I use a spray leave in mixed with an oil. My hair is very soft. I figure just like our bodies need hydration so does our hair.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
Depends on your hair.
I'm relaxed but am currently stretching long term (almost 24 weeks).
For me, since introducing steaming on wash days I now only have to M&S once a week (sometimes not even that). Pre-steamer, I used to M&S more frequently (2-4x/week) but it was never enough for my hair.
At the moment, I use a moisturizing spray, a TINY bit of cream (or I skip it sometimes if it's not too bad), and a serum for M&S.

Last edited:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I'm finding that my hair seems to like a little moisture at least every other day, esp now that I leave my ends out for different hair styles.

Honey Bee

OP Nexxus makes a light-weight foam moisturizer that you might like with a little jojoba or a light serum.

FelaShrine

explains your lovely hair :yep: Beamodel whats your porosity status btw

I am relaxed and I M&S daily. I find that it helps to keep breakage at a minimum. I go by the feel of my hair in terms of what it needs but I usually use a very light oil. During the winter months I use heavier oil and butters daily.

Hey Rozlewis since you are Hi-Po, what are some of your favorite products you use to moisturize and seal?

Lilmama1011

I moisturize daily. I use a spray leave in mixed with an oil. My hair is very soft. I figure just like our bodies need hydration so does our hair.

I like the way that sounds but if I'm not washing my hair everyday like my body and my hair is keeping up with moisture I figure I can skip a day or just simply seal it everyday until I wash. But everyone knows their hair and when it's time to moisturize

Rozlewis

explains your lovely hair :yep: Beamodel whats your porosity status btw

Hey Rozlewis since you are Hi-Po, what are some of your favorite products you use to moisturize and seal?

Hey FelaShrine, how are you?

Some of my favorite products to moisturize are:
HH Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa
Darcy Botanical Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk
Annabelle's Moisturizing Hair Creme
Kizuri Olive & Shea Moisture Butter
Qhemert Biologicc Burdock Root Butter Cream
Qhemert Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
Donna Marie Super Buttercreme
Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer

Some of my favorite products to seal are:
Unpetroleum Jelly
Marie Dean's Organic Jojoba Oil
Marie Dean's Organic Argan Oil
Marie Dean's
Hairveda's Vatika Frosting
Marie Dean Baobab Oil
Annabelle's Ayurvedic Hair Oil

KittyMeowMeow

Daily M&S helped me early in my HHJ, but now my hair is in better condition and I know what products/techniques work for me, so I just do it about 3x/week.

I've always wondered this as well.

I've only recently started to really pay attention to my hair and take care of it. Maybe it's just my thoughts but when I first heard of moisturizing and sealing it with oil I thought it was a little bit dumb. For relaxed heads at least.

For me I relax because I like my hair having swing and body and flowing. y hair is dry but it gets oily quick and the idea of putting oil on it daily in a relaxed, flow and swing state gets it looking trashy and just plain bad. I like wearing my hair down and even light oil in about 2 days gets the "spacey" look. Where strands are clumped together and not so flowing.

My mom calls it the spacey look and I've since called it that as well. You know the look. Where a black woman with say shoulder length hair is in a picture and the strands a together and not free falling like a fresh relaxer. When a relaxer is 2 weeks post and the swing is gone because it hasn't been washed look with stick straight ends. Many don't mind this look but me personally I think I look and I feel silly.

With longer hair I might do it daily because I have the option for a ponytail but with my hair shorter and my sides recovering from balding I'm not comfortable with my hair up so it staying it a "just walked out of the shop" Pantene swing with bumped under ends look is what I've been going for health be damned. I need to feel confident and not self conscious that my hair is spacing and clumping on the side and shine bald is showing.

I'm natural, but I have this issue in some sections of my hair. 1-2 drops of a dryer oil like meadowfoamseed, broccoli seed oil, or argan oil, starting on the ends helps. Doesn't have to be daily- just as needed. I start w/ a spritz of water & work it in for moisture, then the oil.

Another good product instead of or along with the oil is Shescentit Coco Creme leave in. This stuff is magic! Depending on what your hair needs, it magically either adds moisture or cuts grease. It also makes hair very soft. It is very light, and builds up less than any conditioner I've ever used. It has a bit of silk protein, which your hair may love since it sounds like you have fine hair (my hair is more likely to get greasy without adequate protein). The ingredients are wonderful, and IMO this can effectively M&S since it contains both water and a bit of oil/butter.
http://www.shescentit.com/cocrleco1.html

FelaShrine

Rozlewis Im well. Hope you are too! Thanks for the detailed list. the mimosa is a good one and the burdock cream has been on my wish list forever

Ive nevr used Hairveda products before..Im gonna try to get some things during the mother's day sale. Vatika frosting is def on my list. Have you used the Almond Glaze? Thats another one Im eying. thanks again

Beamodel Thanks I was soooo sure i was LP for a long time..then when i did the Komaza analysis Jen was like yea no..you're hi-po. very hi-porosity infact..so yea trying to fix alladat

Beamodel

FelaShrine

I will do an analysis but not Komaza. It's too expensive for me. I will try that other one. I can't remember the name of it but they are on etsy.

BranwenRosewood

I only moisturize on wash day (once a week) and my hair is doing fine. I make sure my DC and leave-in is really moisturizing and seal with a ceramide oil. I'm texlaxed and 9 weeks post.

FelaShrine

Hey FelaShrine, how are you?

Some of my favorite products to moisturize are:
HH Pink Lemon Berry Mimosa
Darcy Botanical Sweet Cocoa Bean Moisturizing Hair Whip
Bee Mine Deja's Hair Milk
Annabelle's Moisturizing Hair Creme
Kizuri Olive & Shea Moisture Butter
Qhemert Biologicc Burdock Root Butter Cream
Qhemert Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream
Donna Marie Super Buttercreme
Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer

Some of my favorite products to seal are:
Unpetroleum Jelly
Marie Dean's Organic Jojoba Oil
Marie Dean's Organic Argan Oil
Marie Dean's
Hairveda's Vatika Frosting
Marie Dean Baobab Oil
Annabelle's Ayurvedic Hair Oil

Thanks again for the list Rozlewis..do you use these dame things for leave-ins on wash day or different stuff? (if so what? :look:) :lol:

Rozlewis

Thanks again for the list Rozlewis..do you use these dame things for leave-ins on wash day or different stuff? (if so what? :look:) :lol:

Hi FelaShrine

I mainly use products as directed. For my leave-ins I use different products. For example:

Annabelle's Perfect Blends Leave-ins
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Komaza Care Matani Leave-in
Mixed Chicks Leave-in

There are others but these are the main ones I use.

FelaShrine

Hi FelaShrine

I mainly use products as directed. For my leave-ins I use different products. For example:

Annabelle's Perfect Blends Leave-ins
Giovanni Direct Leave-in
Komaza Care Matani Leave-in
Mixed Chicks Leave-in

There are others but these are the main ones I use.

Thanks :) and for annabelle i reckon you use both the spray and pudding?