• Flat Iron

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Dryer

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Hot Comb

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

JDandBeyond

I never see anyone talking about using a curling iron. I use it and I don't flat iron...is that bad? Is it the ceramic of the flat iron that would make it better (if it is better)? Whenever I straighten my hair and use heat, it is the curling iron I use and bump under the ends, I don't even own a flat iron:nono:...clue a sista in ladies...

preciousstone

that's true... i still have a curling iron and for some reason since i've been on this site i've only used my flat iron... subliminal maybe.. but its true.. i almost never hear anyone say they use a curling iron. i used to LOVE my curling iron back when i was addicted to heat.. i've used it once in the last three months for the same reason as you.. to get that nice bump under.. for some reason my flat iron doesn't get that same look.. maybe i'm using it wrong.

RavenMaven

I use the flat iron and I get perfectly fine results. I also use the hot comb. For me, curling irons=destroyed ends.

Andy1979

After I found that I could bump my ends with a flat iron, I threw out my curling iron. I also think the flat iron is better because not only is mine tourmaline instead of metal, but when I use the flat iron, I get it straight with one quick swipe whereas when I was straightening with a curling iron, I would have to swipe several times then leave it exposed to my ends for a few seconds to get the bump....this was BAD news for my ends.

jetbeauty09

I only use the dryer for DC. I still have my irons b/c I use the curling iron on my weaves. I haven't used a flat iron since July 08 and I won't use it until July 09 to see if I made my goal of SL.

Lady S

I have a couple of ceramic curling irons that I like. I actually put the curling irons at a high heat and then curl it for only a second (got that tip from Andre's book). And I always use heat protectant when I do use it. Haven't had any problems with that method.

LivingDol1

you know.... curling irons never hold the curl for me. it's funny b/c when my relaxed hair is wet, it coils right up... even with the roller set, it smooths out very easily without wrapping. so i don't bother with the curling iron. pin curling overnight allows me to maintain some curl if i don't comb out my roller set. why bother adding extra heat?

unalteredone

You can use a flat iron to curl your hair. it takes some practice, but you can do it, and i get a much more attractive "bump" on my ends (if i want it, though i usually dont... cause it makes the hair look shorter, lol) using my flat iron.

I think that the deal with curling irons is that you have to hold it on your hair in the same place for a long time, whereas with a flat iron you keep it moving down your hair the entire time. Even if you use a curling stick, which doesn't focus heat on your ends specifically, you have to hold it to your hair in order to get a curl.

I just think that a flat iron is an overall better tool for straightening hair (after all.... it's a flat surface) both from a logistical and hair health perspective.

MizzBrown

I haven't used a curling iron in SOOO long. Finally got away from all that direct heat.

Rollers have taken the place of my curling irons.

Allandra

I have my hair flat ironed every 7 to 14 days (on fresh clean hair). I don't think using a curling iron (on fresh clean hair) is bad as long as it's not too often.

ellebelle88

I haven't used a curling iron since I've been on this site, so that's almost 4 or 5 years. I really don't think there is a need for it. Flat irons seem much more efficient and easier to manage. I'm still learning how to create beautiful curls with flat irons however.

Last edited:

LivingDoll

I used a curling iron faithfully when I first joined the board. At that time, my hair was too short to flat iron. I have since stopped using it in favor of the flat iron (just because I favor a looser curl). I don't think that using curlers is bad as long as you don't use them too much. I don't use heat more than once a week.

BTW, there are ceramic barrel curlers you can buy.

HoneyDew

I am a heat user.

But, for me the curling iron is worse because it tends to cause more mechanical damage for me than my flatiron. Also, it is hard for me to find a ceramic curling iron that is effective. The only ones that straighten or curl for me are the gold ones. And i don't like using those.

Soooo, I find that a quality ceramic ionic flat-iron is better for me.

As far as my blowdryer, the same. Since using a nice dryer (I use the Rusk Speed Freak), I don't think I could ever use anything else. there is a difference.